Cowboys got lucky by not drafting Paxton Lynch

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wentz and Goff were by far at least IMO far and above the best 2 QB in draft. Lynch went late in 1st round for a reason. Honestly with the 4th pick in the draft I would have liked to see us pursue one of them.

I was actually bigger on Goff as I’d followed and watched him more in his career. I’d never seen Lynch play until the Bowl game and he wasn’t overly impressive. I liked Conner Cook or the kid from Penn St ( Christian..) as much. Mostly I wanted us to use a higher pick , at least a 2nd rounder and we could have still drafted Dak.

With Romo’s injuries drafting 2 QB’s would have been a sound move.
Wentz and Goff as far being total prospects were far ahead of Lynch. However in terms of the purely physical aspects, Lynch had the best talent in that draft. From a physical standpoint he he was basically Ben Rothlisberger. Big, mobile QB with a rocket for an arm, and could also pass with touch. Passing with touch was something we really saw Wentz stuggle with as a rookie.

What killed Lynch, and what I think sometimes fans lose sight of when looking at QB's, was his mental makeup. It was reported that during his interviews he really struggled with the plays drawn up on the chalk board. That there shows that his football intelligence is very lacking, and that alone will kill you as a prospect. Its also come out that he doesnt put the work in the get better, or be any kind of leader. And you could sure these tendencies also revealed themselves during the interview proccess as well.

You put that all together, you basically have Todd Marinovic and not Ben Rothlisberger as a total prospect. Physically however he was a very rare specimen. However, the league has gotten burned by too many Jamarcus Russells to overlook the red flags and take that kind of QB high

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking back Paxton Lynch was overrated coming out. I don't fault anyone for overrating him, but come on Jerry was visibly upset that Lynch went to the Broncos. Not only did he look upset he confirmed that he wanted Lynch at the press conference later that day.

I think he was less upset about Cook, but he wanted Lynch there is no doubt about it.

Also, I think it is a horrrible idea to draft two rookie qb's in any draft. There is just not enough balls to go around.
It can work out for you though. Drafting Cousins in the same draft as RG3 saved the Commanders from even more embarrassment.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I’m not sure how much effort we made in pursuing Lynch? We defintely expressed some interest but we didn’t step up to offer the picks necessary to move up to be a serious consideration.

My take is Jerry feeling the pressure of drafting Romo’s heir apparent wanting to portray a perception he was actively pursuing flirted with Lynch as a consideration.

We had several opportunities to draft a QB higher than 4th round if we were serious about drafting Romo’s future replacement but I don’t believe Jerry was looking for it.

I still think Jerry was all in on Romo and didn’t want to put any additional pressure on making that decision by using a high draft pick. Basically Jerry didn’t want to bring Romo’s replacement until Romo was officially done not wanting a QB controversy.

If you recall Jerry’s comments when all the rumors were swirling around Manziel , he strongly dismissed on draft day morning we weren’t looking for Romo’s heir apparent.

Man I’m sorry but your assumption about Jerry and the whole Paxton thing is wrong. He wanted him and wanted him badly and Stephen had to talk him out of it. And the next day Jerry was stewing over the regret of not drafting him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...es-regrets-not-overpaying-to-get-paxton-lynch

Last edited:

Sinister

Reaction score
It can work out for you though. Drafting Cousins in the same draft as RG3 saved the Commanders from even more embarrassment.

I don't really think it did work out for the Commanders though. RG3 ended up looking over his shoulder the entire time, I think it had an overall detrimental effect on the whole team.

IMHO, they screwed it up.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't really think it did work out for the Commanders though. RG3 ended up looking over his shoulder the entire time, I think it had an overall detrimental effect on the whole team.

You have a point, considering they really accomplished nothing with Cousins. They should have traded him last year. That way they could have recouped some of the assets used on Griffin and kicked off a rebuild

kskboys

Reaction score

Have to disagree. If a QB is so weak minded he can't handle competition, he's no good anyway.

Sinister

Reaction score
I think that is true, but sometimes a QB needs space to grow. They need more reps. Rookie QB's need to be getting as many reps as possible. If you have two rookie QB's that you drafted high then it is possible that you might be giving the wrong QB the reps and end up with the wrong QB.

This is just my opinion.

Sometimes you need to make a choice not only for the team, but for the player.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Looking back Paxton Lynch was overrated coming out. I don't fault anyone for overrating him, but come on Jerry was visibly upset that Lynch went to the Broncos. Not only did he look upset he confirmed that he wanted Lynch at the press conference later that day.

I think he was less upset about Cook, but he wanted Lynch there is no doubt about it.

Also, I think it is a horrrible idea to draft two rookie qb's in any draft. There is just not enough balls to go around.
We’ve drafted 2 QB in same draft before. 1989-1965

glimmerman

Reaction score
That is correct. If I’m not mistaken, Jerry almost traded to get him.

But yes. Jerry and co did want Lynch
Yep. He was upset we didn’t get him. And not happy about Dak. Not that he hated the kid but didn’t think he was gonna be as good as lynch.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Poor Elway. Just goes to show why they say " those that can DO, those that can't TEACH". (come on down Mr. Moore!!!)
:rolleyes:

* that dude is still legend up in sugar beet/ potato ville,pal!!!o_O

kskboys

Reaction score
I think that is true, but sometimes a QB needs space to grow. They need more reps. Rookie QB's need to be getting as many reps as possible. If you have two rookie QB's that you drafted high then it is possible that you might be giving the wrong QB the reps and end up with the wrong QB.

This is just my opinion.

Sometimes you need to make a choice not only for the team, but for the player.
4th round isn't drafted high.

RGIII was the man and there was never any doubt about it. Cousins was drafted for insurance, not to compete. The Commanders did make a choice, and then drafted a backup later in the draft.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ick. Look at that horrific list!!!!!! Not one of those guys was worth developing.

Were you supporting my post?
All of those guys had solid starts to their careers and phased out. Except Lynch but everyone considered him a first round prospect. He was considered a better prospect than Dak. Cowboys have done a much better job of developing than them.