Cowboys impressed with Travis Frederick after autoimmune disease: 'He's done so well'

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. His return will be huge. Not a knock on Joe Looney as the guy did a really good job, but there's a huge dropoff in talent, pedigree, and performance between the two.

Frederick's return will be huge for this line, and for the offense overall.

I would say the biggest "add" of the offseason over the 2018 Cowboys. By far.

This is why Williams will be the starter most likely. Nothing helps a rookie OG better than playing between two all pro OL.
I think they felt both would help him, and at times help him with any rookie deficiencies until he learned and got better. So that will hold true again, though Williams will make progress on his own as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why Williams will be the starter most likely. Nothing helps a rookie OG better than playing between two all pro OL.
I think they felt both would help him, and at times help him with any rookie deficiencies until he learned and got better. So that will hold true again, though Williams will make progress on his own as well.

I think the team saw the power that they lost inside last year. From both Looney and in starting the rookie Williams.

And that's why when Su'a Filo came in, he kept the job and Williams only got it back due to Su'a Filo's injury. And it's also why they made such a priority to have Williams in the weight room gaining size and strength.

I also consider that a big plus for the more powerful player in McGovern to start at left guard. I think if he gets a fair shot, especially if Williams is getting reps outside at RT while Collins misses time, that McGovern wins the left guard position.

It comes down to whether or not the few pass protection issues McGovern has can quickly get cleaned up, but I think he will be a more powerful inside force from day one for the running game.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Until I see him padded up in preseason games smacking people around I'm building my offensive line as if he's not even there. J. Looney (who I'm not trading) and C. McGovern are splitting snaps at center and if Frederick is ready come preseason then I've got a great problem to deal with.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Travis Frederick is back on the practice field running plays and in his stance. Last week the staff stated he was at full muscle strength. My gut feeling is if the Cowboys O-line is healthy at the start of the season, this unit will be back at the elite status. I respect what Looney did last season, however Frederick is better at calling out blocking assignments and the zone aspects of blocking. Add Connor McGovern into the mix, and Dallas now has some serious depth for their Superbowl March.

Absolutely great news. Go Dallas!!!

Link

I had London Broil, 2 scrambled eggs, and carrot juice for breakfast.
Ill believe it when he pays 60snaps in real game with 350lbers pounding on him all day..wishful and hopeful BUT..always a but..

ItzKelz

Reaction score
This is true, but I would bet he has suited up to see how it feels.
Though "the pads come on" probably means contact.
Considering Freddie was the one that said he wont really know until he puts on pads; I would bet he has yet to put on pads for anything more than pictures.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering Freddie was the one that said he wont really know until he puts on pads; I would bet he has yet to put on pads for anything more than pictures.

Right, so this is something we just have to be patient and wait for.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If he is at full muscle strength now then he may even be stronger by season start. Good for him. Keep working bro.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Travis Frederick is back on the practice field running plays and in his stance. Last week the staff stated he was at full muscle strength. My gut feeling is if the Cowboys O-line is healthy at the start of the season, this unit will be back at the elite status. I respect what Looney did last season, however Frederick is better at calling out blocking assignments and the zone aspects of blocking. Add Connor McGovern into the mix, and Dallas now has some serious depth for their Superbowl March.

Absolutely great news. Go Dallas!!!

Link

I had London Broil, 2 scrambled eggs, and carrot juice for breakfast.

In other news I had two fried eggs with cheese on top on toast! Then a bloody mary to toast Freddy's return!

erod

Reaction score
If Frederick can play, I'd move Looney into left guard, and try Williams out at right tackle.

Collins could then get a good pick or a safety.