Twitter: Cowboys - Lawrence close on contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Wonder what our cap will look like. According to a thread the other day, we had $7M cap space remaining. Lawrence was counting about $20M against that with the tag. Now word is that he's going to get $31M his first year, which I think is a great move as we sign a bunch of other big contracts, but it puts us in a tough spot this year. That would put us $4M in the red, plus we need about another $5M to sign our draft class and pick up free agents throughout the season.

So there needs to be about $8M or $9M coming from somewhere. I expect we'll see an offensive lineman restructure here pretty soon.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's an average of $20 a year, but that doesn't seem to include the guarantees. Sounds like a good contract, pending the guarantees.

If we got him for $20 million per year, then the posturing was probably over the guaranteed money.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If we got him for $20 million per year, then the posturing was probably over the guaranteed money.

Well, if the deal is worth 5y and $100m. Though, I've also read it's 5y and $105 m. So, the average would, of course, be a bit more. So yes, I'd say the posturing was over the guarantees.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Wonder what our cap will look like. According to a thread the other day, we had $7M cap space remaining. Lawrence was counting about $20M against that with the tag. Now word is that he's going to get $31M his first year, which I think is a great move as we sign a bunch of other big contracts, but it puts us in a tough spot this year. That would put us $4M in the red, plus we need about another $5M to sign our draft class and pick up free agents throughout the season.

So there needs to be about $8M or $9M coming from somewhere. I expect we'll see an offensive lineman restructure here pretty soon.

I would assume that $31 million includes all of his signing bonus. I would be surprised if we take a $31 million cap hit the first year.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I suspect we'll probably see restructuring of contracts for that.

No we should be fine. Cap hit will still go down.

What usually happens nowadays with the big signing bonuses is since they sign on the dotted line and rake in a ton of money, they're usually fine with the first year salary being lower (which is also fully guaranteed).

The signing bonus is prorated over the next 5 years at the time of signing, which is going to be around ~$20-25mill. His "salary" will be relatively low if they structure it like most teams do nowadays, with a "roster bonus" that kicks in, so we'll just call that salary. His total salary is probably going to be right at $10mill or under. Then the 20-25 / 5 years and it'll be another 4-5 mill on top of that.

My guess is like $23m at signing and a $8m total first year salary. It could be anywhere from $20m signing and $11m total salary, to $25m signing and $6m salary.

Cap hit will probably be anywhere from $12-15m.

If I was in this situation, I might have just said screw it and gave him $30m in a signing bonus this year with minimum salary. It's a smart accounting play and you actually come out ahead when it's all said and done, but they probably didn't do that.

Glad it got done though, and it's not a terrible deal. Now go get your stupid surgery Lawrence.

gmoney112

Reaction score
If I was in this situation, I might have just said screw it and gave him $30m in a signing bonus this year with minimum salary. It's a smart accounting play and you actually come out ahead when it's all said and done, but they probably didn't do that.

Hey, they did do that!

Flamma

Reaction score
Probably like a 30M signing bonus with 2nd and 3rd year guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.