Cowboys LB Damone Clark: 'Huge' in Coach Dan Quinn Defense?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys LB Damone Clark: 'Huge' in Coach Dan Quinn Defense?​

Second year linebacker Damone Clark could be thrust into a starting role alongside Leighton Vander Esch, but is he ready to grab this opportunity with both hands?

Regarding feel-good stories of last season, it was hard to look past Dallas Cowboys rookie linebacker Damone Clark. The former LSU standout was coming off spinal fusion surgery in March and, a mere seven months later, in October, was taking meaningful snaps in an NFL game.

In his debut against the Chicago Bears, Clark showed flashes of his talent as he filled in for the injured Anthony Barr. Clark registered five tackles in what was an assured performance.

Now, at OTA's wrap-up and minicamp and training camp on the horizon, could Clark be readying himself to partner Leighton Vander Esch in Dan Quinn's unit next season? It sure looks like it.

Read more: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...defense-leighton-vander-esch-minicamp-starter

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Second year linebacker Damone Clark could be thrust into a starting role alongside Leighton Vander Esch, but is he ready to grab this opportunity with both hands?

Regarding feel-good stories of last season, it was hard to look past Dallas Cowboys rookie linebacker Damone Clark. The former LSU standout was coming off spinal fusion surgery in March and, a mere seven months later, in October, was taking meaningful snaps in an NFL game.

In his debut against the Chicago Bears, Clark showed flashes of his talent as he filled in for the injured Anthony Barr. Clark registered five tackles in what was an assured performance.

Now, at OTA's wrap-up and minicamp and training camp on the horizon, could Clark be readying himself to partner Leighton Vander Esch in Dan Quinn's unit next season? It sure looks like it.

Read more: https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...defense-leighton-vander-esch-minicamp-starter
Clark needs to be and holds a significant part of Qs baseline for this back seven to come together.
He has a very important role to play.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I like Clark physically (everyone should), but he always looked a half-step slow in his reads to me.
Clark is what Q wanted Cox to be but maybe Cox can find his real role behind LVE, he belongs there for now.
DO starting his role behind Clark is a solid back seven depth wise.
THe packgaes tha Q can release now should be in full discussion mode.
Look at the skill/talent that infests this defense, I am not being Risen, Im am Typhus and I am being cereal.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not much competition in Dallas at LB. So, I don't see who beats him out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think it's pretty clear from what Dallas did (or didn't do) in free agency and the draft that the team is counting on Clark to be the third linebacker, pairing him with Vander Esch and Parsons. I assume that whenever we're not in that 5-2/3-4 front where Parsons and LVE are the two linebackers, Clark is who we are counting on being out there with Vander Esch. as the two true linebackers (the third is Kearse) when we are in the nickel and Parsons is lining up as an end.

Ideally, if we want to replace one of the linebackers on clear passing downs, it's LVE ... but that will depend on the development of Cox and how ready Overshown is to contribute. Both of them are better cover linebackers than LVE.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I wonder was that trust or was it they simply had no one else?
Well, they did have Cox, whom they clearly do not trust up to this point. I think Barr getting dinged thrust Clark out there more than the team was probably expecting, but he continued to pick up some snaps when Barr returned, so that's a good sign.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Most rookies are a half-step slow in their reads. Lots of reading instead of reacting that first year.
Sure, he can probably improve in that regard and I assume he would.

But I'd be hesitant of him being a key cog in the defense at this point.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Sure, he can probably improve in that regard and I assume he would.

But I'd be hesitant of him being a key cog in the defense at this point.
Well, I'm not sure we have the luxury of being hesitant. I think he showed enough last year that they are looking to sink or swim with the young guy. Now, we have other young guys, but we know even less about their ability to contribute. LVE, who has been hit or miss in his time here, and Parsons are our only proven linebackers and Parsons is going to line up at end a lot.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Hopefully we get some solid production from Clark and Overshown at that position. Cox probably backs up LVE.