Twitter: Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch confirms he's returning in 2020

Xelda

Reaction score
One less thing to be concerned about. Thank you.

John813

Reaction score
As expected. Hopefully, this surgery did enough to avoid any reoccurring issues for a long time

If he has a down or average year in 2020 does he become trade bait when the seasons over?

If that was the case not sure what value you can get out of trending down LB with a neck issue.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact he’s having to say he’s returning in 2020 doesn’t bode well for him having a long career. Appears it’s going to be year to year with him.

How in the heck do you get returning only for a year. I guess you did say year to year though. Returning in 2020 can mean ...and beyond...which is how I take it. :D

quickccc

Reaction score
...vs announcing his sudden retirement ? ..." i'll Buy that for a Dollar ! "

i will always be concerned about that neck, and i;m trying to conjure another player that successful had that kind of procedure
and continued playing successfully. Moose had that procedure but the condition led to his soon retirement.
And could we see an LB in the mid rounds because of the concern within the organization with LVE ? :eek:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How in the heck do you get returning only for a year. I guess you did say year to year though. Returning in 2020 can mean ...and beyond...which is how I take it. :D

Anytime a player feels the need to say they’re returning for a season that’s a sign it’s going to be year to year with them. Any more problems with his neck and he’ll be announcing his retirement. I said after his surgery he’s not likely to have a long career.

morat1959

Reaction score
At 90-100 % with the right coaching staff, this big boy can be a beast!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anytime a player feels the need to say they’re returning for a season that’s a sign it’s going to be year to year with them. Any more problems with his neck and he’ll be announcing his retirement. I said after his surgery he’s not likely to have a long career.

He will play out his contract, if he can, and hope to cash in on huge 2nd contract. As Jerry may be willing to do regardless. Then play a few years, then may retire. Yes, that is a long way off, as he needs to get through the 2020 season first. But I can see that happening. It will show he is recovered if he plays that long. However the stenosis will still be there. So I can see (if he stays healthy) only playing 4 more years and maybe 5.

Anyway that is way too far down the road. Just concerned about this year as you said, back for 2020. Hope for the best.

Jkyle

Reaction score

Every player is year to year in the NFL. That's the nature of the beast. All are one play away from retirement. Of course LVE is dealing with a pre-existing issue but overall he is just as susceptible to a career injury as any other.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
He is year to year. He will likely try and hang on for a big contract but he will be gone a year or two later. He has early retirement written all over him. Another dumb pick. Any LBer that wears a ridiculously large neck brace should have been vetted much better than they did. It was stupid to take his word that he just thought it looked cool. He knew his neck was jacked up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He will play out his contract, if he can, and hope to cash in on huge 2nd contract. As Jerry may be willing to do regardless. Then play a few years, then may retire. Yes, that is a long way off, as he needs to get through the 2020 season first. But I can see that happening. It will show he is recovered if he plays that long. However the stenosis will still be there. So I can see (if he stays healthy) only playing 4 more years and maybe 5.

Anyway that is way too far down the road. Just concerned about this year as you said, back for 2020. Hope for the best.

Head and neck injuries retire players more than anything. He must have been contemplating retirement or he wouldn’t have announced he was returning in 2020. I wouldn’t bet on him finishing out his contract.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every player is year to year in the NFL. That's the nature of the beast. All are one play away from retirement. Of course LVE is dealing with a pre-existing issue but overall he is just as susceptible to a career injury as any other.

Every player doesn’t announce they’re returning the following season. Players only do that when they’re considering retiring. It’s going to be year to year with him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Head and neck injuries retire players more than anything. He must have been contemplating retirement or he wouldn’t have announced he was returning in 2020. I wouldn’t bet on him finishing out his contract.

Reminds me of Davonte Holliman as he showed some great skills and was going to be pretty good. Not sure if it was the same injury though. Can't remember off hand.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Every player doesn’t announce they’re returning the following season. Players only do that when they’re considering retiring. It’s going to be year to year with him.
He didn’t announce he’s returning lol. What post are you reading. He literally posted something similar back in February. That’s just a typical post from a player ready for the season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He didn’t announce he’s returning lol. What post are you reading. He literally posted something similar back in February. That’s just a typical post from a player ready for the season.

I’m reading the tweet that was posted saying that LVE confirmed he was returning in 2020. That’s not a typical post from a player ready for the season. That’s a typical post from a player who was contemplating retirement. Drew Brees said he was returning in 2020 because he contemplated retirement.