Cowboys may get lucky with a QB this year

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Right now I see 3 QB's with the talent to be franchise guys, and a couple guys after that may wind up in the Rd1 convo. Herbert is likely in Goff and Wentz class as far as franchise QB's, but may be out of range. However after that, this class starts to a little like 2017, which is looking really good despite not having that 1st overall blue chipper.

I think a top 10 pick gets us our QB this year. Right now thinking thats most likely Lock or Grier. I think Lock has potential to move into the top 5, but 1) Probably needs the Pat Mahomes treatment amd take a redshirt year. 2) The QB need in the top portion of the draft may not be there to drive his stock. Grier's past PED suspension could keep him from rising into the top 5 of the draft.

With the amount of teams in the NFL that have gotten their QB of the future recently, the need for QB's at the top of the draft isnt likely to be very high. I see more likely to take defensive lineman in the top 10 of the draft this year. This could play right into the Cowboys hands, as a QB they may have had to trade serious capital for may fall right into there hands

Personally I feel if the #1 pick is for sale, you make that move ane get Herbert. But there is always that possibility it wont be. In that case, this is a year we may be able to stand pat and get our guy, with need not driving value

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Not sold on Lock. Herbert is the best prospect. Love Grier’s accuracy and pocket presence from what I’ve seen.

cjlopez

Reaction score
Lets not be so positive or negative in terms of where we might land. Right now I don't see our team winning more than say 5 games and being honest I think NY has more weapons and they might win some close games later as the year goes just by having more talent on the offensive side of the ball. I could see us having the worst record in the league this year.....I don't think we are the worst team, but we are just short in the QB position and in this league that matters.........

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People shouldn't focus so much on what teams will more than likely finish the season with a top draft pick and what that means for QBs. QB needy teams will be looking to move up if the prospects are worthy of it. Like they did with Goff and Wentz while we just sat there listening to Stephen's nose whistle.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Like if the Cowboys end up picking 6th and the entire top 5 are settled at QB that doesn't mean the Cowboys will get first crack at one. We will just watch teams move ahead of us again.
This is true.....but

I see the guys like Lock and Grier being more akin to Watson and Mahomes than Goff and Wentz as prospects. I dont think they are quite good enough to drive value deep into the top 3. Personally if the top pick is for sale, you make that move. But if not, I dont know if teams will be willing to bid to get into the top 5 for Lock, Grier or whoever else emerges. I think this year is more like 2017 than 2016

Proof

Reaction score
Like if the Cowboys end up picking 6th and the entire top 5 are settled at QB that doesn't mean the Cowboys will get first crack at one. We will just watch teams move ahead of us again.

What teams do you realistically see looking for a QB currently, and that would pony up to get to the front of the draft?

cowboyec

Reaction score
one thing about Jerry....he likes to talk to the media and tip his hand.
he really does think we are the rams....and he reinforced it yesterday when saying Dak is THE guy....then made the statement about WR1.

my take.....we aint draftin' a QB and we need to study up on WRs.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if they do draft a QB,it'll be Boise St QB Brett Rypien....unless we get a new HC...and Im not bettin on it.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The good news is jerry has his top scouts looking for QB talent.

The bad news is they're watching baseball. :)

Once Kyler Murray washes out with the Oakland A's, HE will be our guy.
im-22826

Sydla

Reaction score
I guess it's a defense mechanism to not believe what he's says. Like today when he said clearly he has a QB to build with for years to come.

This complete moron thinks Dak Prescott is our future.

The saddest part? If he truly believed that, he would tear up his coaching staff and try to get Dak an innovative coach with a system he thinks can work with him. But do you believe that?

What he'll do is claim Garrett is great and we can't lose our investment in him as he's always gaining knowledge with each season, throw a couple of picks at some WRs, maybe overspend for a FA WR and think presto.............. all is fixed.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
The saddest part? If he truly believed that, he would tear up his coaching staff and try to get Dak an innovative coach with a system he thinks can work with him. But do you believe that?

What he'll do is claim Garrett is great and we can't lose our investment in him as he's always gaining knowledge with each season, throw a couple of picks at some WRs, maybe overspend for a FA WR and think presto.............. all is fixed.

Dan Mullen?