Cowboys may get lucky with a QB this year

RS12

Reaction score
Once Kyler Murray washes out with the Oakland A's, HE will be our guy.
im-22826
Kyler cant hit the curve ball?

Sydla

Reaction score
I see Lock's completion percentage has dipped again this year after a hot start.

I really have issues with a college QB that isn't very accurate in college. I just don't think they become better in the pros.

Grier might be my #2 behind Herbert at this point. Finley might be my #3.

bodi

Reaction score
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mizzou-football/mizzou-football-what-wrong-with-drew-lock/

Missouri football: What’s wrong with the Tigers’ offense? Is it Drew Lock or Derek Dooley?

The case against Dooley

Until arriving in Columbia, Dooley had never called plays at any point of his college or professional coaching career. That’s why the decision to hire him as the offensive coordinator this offseason raised eyebrows, and that’s why we need to take a long look at him now.

Dooley has kept the running game going strong, but the regression in the passing game without Hall is certainly concerning. Freshmen WRs Jalen Knox and Kam Scott have shown flashes of brilliance — does Dooley not trust one of them to try to stretch the field like Hall did?

Instead, the Mizzou offense now seems to feature the same sort of middle-depth routes, but without Hall taking the top off the defense to give those underneath patterns room to develop. Another problem is that the Tigers are finding themselves in third-and-long far too often. Against South Carolina, they faced that situation 7 times and converted exactly zero of them.

The case against Lock

Lock has thrown 11 TD passes in 197 attempts, or 1 every 18 throws. Last season, when he set the SEC single-season record with 44 TD passes, his ratio was 1 every 9.5 throws.

Yes, Lock is missing his favorite target in Hall, but teams deal with key injuries every season. If the Philadelphia Eagles had just folded up shop when QB Carson Wentz went down last season, they never would have won the Super Bowl.

Without Hall, the Tigers’ offense is lacking the sort of deep threat that demands the attention of two defensive backs. That means Lock has less room to throw, but he’s also missing throws that he normally makes.

Though he still has the occasional rocket that shows why he is a likely first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, he’s also missing many receivers low or throwing it behind them. Against South Carolina, he also had two passes that should have been touchdowns — one to Albert Okwuegbunam and one to Johnathon Johnson — dropped. That’s one reason he ranks last among SEC starters in red-zone completion percentage (7-for-26, 26.9).

Verdict

While both get their share of the blame, this seems to be more of an issue with Dooley at this point. Lock has nowhere to throw more often than not.

When he does have an open receiver, he’s missing them more often than we’re used to seeing, but Dooley needs to get Lock into the flow of the game better than he has been.

bodi

Reaction score
‘This is the defining stretch for Drew Lock:’ NFL scouts weigh in on his draft stock

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article218278440.html

“There’s very little torque when he throws,” said Jim Nagy, executive director of the Senior Bowl and former NFL scout. “If he gets his lower half squared away and cleans that up, and learns to incorporate his lower body in some of those throws, it’s going to be scary.”

Nagy said if Lock was currently in the NFL, his arm would “put him in the top 10 of the league.”

ghst187

Reaction score
Right now I see 3 QB's with the talent to be franchise guys, and a couple guys after that may wind up in the Rd1 convo. Herbert is likely in Goff and Wentz class as far as franchise QB's, but may be out of range. However after that, this class starts to a little like 2017, which is looking really good despite not having that 1st overall blue chipper.

I think a top 10 pick gets us our QB this year. Right now thinking thats most likely Lock or Grier. I think Lock has potential to move into the top 5, but 1) Probably needs the Pat Mahomes treatment amd take a redshirt year. 2) The QB need in the top portion of the draft may not be there to drive his stock. Grier's past PED suspension could keep him from rising into the top 5 of the draft.

With the amount of teams in the NFL that have gotten their QB of the future recently, the need for QB's at the top of the draft isnt likely to be very high. I see more likely to take defensive lineman in the top 10 of the draft this year. This could play right into the Cowboys hands, as a QB they may have had to trade serious capital for may fall right into there hands

Personally I feel if the #1 pick is for sale, you make that move ane get Herbert. But there is always that possibility it wont be. In that case, this is a year we may be able to stand pat and get our guy, with need not driving value

Agree with everything except two things, 1) I’m not overly sold on Lock yet but love Grier and the Oregon kid, also interested in the N.C. State kid.
2) I’ll be shocked if JJ goes after a QB in the draft, esp at the top. He’s made excuse after excuse for JG losing so I expect a similar over protection for Dak esp since JJ thinks he found him.
All that said, unless something drastic changes, we will end up with a very high pick and we will make a huge mistake by not going after a QB buts that’s also what I fully expect us to do.

bodi

Reaction score
another possible

Daniel Jones - Duke

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 220

Year: Redshirt Junior

CBS has the Giants taken him

Jones is the first quarterback off the board? Yep. It could happen. For real. The 6-5, 220-pounder is now into his third full year as Duke's starting quarterback and has shown immense development each season. He's comfortable drifting away from pressure inside the pocket, often gets to his second read and is an accurate passer with good velocity. The Giants have to go quarterback in Round 1 of the 2019 Draft, right?

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
another possible

Daniel Jones - Duke

Jones is the first quarterback off the board? Yep. It could happen. For real. The 6-5, 220-pounder is now into his third full year as Duke's starting quarterback and has shown immense development each season. He's comfortable drifting away from pressure inside the pocket, often gets to his second read and is an accurate passer with good velocity. The Giants have to go quarterback in Round 1 of the 2019 Draft, right?

Funny, I was just looking and reading about him last night. Build sort of reminds me of Peyton Manning. Looks interesting but this is all I’ve seen of him so far

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
another possible

Daniel Jones - Duke

I think people are doubting he comes out this year.

But as an RS JR, I think if he gets a first round grade from the advisory board he will enter

punchnjudy

Reaction score
I want the most promising QB in the draft whoever that may be.
I don't want to hear the words developmental or out of our range.
Target your franchise QB and do what it takes to get him.

Agreed. Generally speaking, I only like mid-round QB's as trade bait. The odds of them truly developing into a franchise QB aren't very good. There are exceptions, of course, but as Parcells said, you can't make a living off exceptions.

kumizi

Reaction score
I'm not gonna pretend like I watch college tape but this Dwyane Haskins from Ohio State has to be shooting up draft boards. I've also seen many people have Ryan Finley as a legit first round QB prospect. That's in addition to Herbert, Lock, and Grier.

bodi

Reaction score
Missouri football: What’s wrong with the Tigers’ offense? Is it Drew Lock or Derek Dooley?

Until arriving in Columbia, Dooley had never called plays at any point of his college or professional coaching career.

Dooley has kept the running game going strong, but the regression in the passing game without Hall is certainly concerning. Freshmen WRs Jalen Knox and Kam Scott have shown flashes of brilliance — does Dooley not trust one of them to try to stretch the field like Hall did?

Instead, the Mizzou offense now seems to feature the same sort of middle-depth routes, but without Hall taking the top off the defense to give those underneath patterns room to develop. Another problem is that the Tigers are finding themselves in third-and-long far too often. Against South Carolina, they faced that situation 7 times and converted exactly zero of them.

if I was Lock I'd be out of there

when you got a arm like his you throw the ball

Dooley the QB killier

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score

Yes. So much yes.

jnday

Reaction score
Like if the Cowboys end up picking 6th and the entire top 5 are settled at QB that doesn't mean the Cowboys will get first crack at one. We will just watch teams move ahead of us again.
I still say Wentz should be a Cowboy considering that Garrett loved him and he was certainly in reach with a trade up.

jnday

Reaction score
I hate to say it buddy, but we probably need to find another team if we want our team to have that approach. Jerry does not have it.