Cowboys need to get a speedy WR sub 4.4 forty yard

InTheZone

Reaction score
If they draft a wr it needs to be with a 6th round pick or later. First 5 picks need to be defense - DT, DE, LB, CB, S

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dak is not accurate when you compare his lowlights to Mahommes highlights. If you watch Mahommes play, he misses wide open receivers too. Sometimes even very badly.

But why can’t we just discuss a receiver with speed without dragging Dak into it? Should we just cut all receivers and just claim we don’t need them because Dak sucks? Will that make for better conversations?
To be fair you can count on one hand the number of bad passes by mahomes a game. With Dak, you need a log book.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
can't tell if you're being serious...
if you're being serious, I'm being serious. You are over-exaggerating. Dak was much improved in accuracy, but I bet you take every pass a receiver has to make a slight adjustment and consider that a bad pass but not do it for other QBs. I'm watching a lot of games from 2011-2013 and Romo would be considered inaccurate by the standards Dak is held to today. Dak had some accuracy issues earlier in his career where he missed badly. That has morphed into anything not thrown with pinpoint accuracy as being inaccurate. It's just like the people who believed we couldn't convert 3rd and short before 2014 or people who believe we go 3 and out all the time. Your eyes are telling you what you want to see. Judge everyone with the same critical eye and the variance is not as great as you might think.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Most of the small, speed types bust in the NFL. Ted Ginn, was one of them, lol. A former top 10 pick who has never had a 1,000 yr season. Hell, we rostered one last year in Tavon Austin. If some older posters remember, Jimmy taking Alexander Wright at the top of the 2nd rd. Point is, on this level, receivers cannot just rely on their athletic abilities, they need more then just speed.

What the team needs is the exact opposite, a big framed receiver. Not one that relies on his athletic abilities, like a Dez Bryant, but one who has the total package; strong hands, large catch radius (helps with an inaccurate QB, like Dak), strong route runner, able to beat man coverage, etc.
If monster DT Javon Kinlaw is long gone by the time the Cowboys pick in the first round at the #17th pick, I would love if the Cowboys traded down into the mid-to-late 20s, picked up an extra late 2nd round pick (or a 3rd and 4th), then use that traded down late 1st round pick on this sleeper monster WR who has all the intangibles you are looking for...

6'3", 215 lbs, 4.38 40 yd dash, 40+ vertical, 11 foot broad jump, tall, long, fast, good route runner, strong, good hands, excellent run blocker, tough to bring down and excellent athletic ability: Baylor WR Denzel Mims.

Mims is another Terrell Owens. Just watch film on him and see...

Adding Mims would make our Offense absolutely invincible! Place Mims on the outside while moving Amari Cooper inside to the slot to better use his quickness and speed. Or keep Mims and Cooper on the outside while moving Gallup inside at the slot? Either way, with this trio of WRs constantly on the field, our Offense would be deadly.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If monster DT Javon Kinlaw is long gone by the time the Cowboys pick in the first round at the #17th pick, I would love if the Cowboys traded down into the mid-to-late 20s, picked up an extra late 2nd round pick (or a 3rd and 4th), then use that traded down late 1st round pick on this sleeper monster WR who has all the intangibles you are looking for...

6'3", 215 lbs, 4.38 40 yd dash, 40+ vertical, 11 foot broad jump, tall, long, fast, good route runner, strong, good hands, excellent run blocker, tough to bring down and excellent athletic ability: Baylor WR Denzel Mims.

Adding Mims would make our Offense absolutely invincible! Place Mims on the outside while moving Amari Cooper inside to the slot to better use his quickness and speed. Or keep Mims and Cooper on the outside while moving Gallup inside at the slot? Either way, with this trio of WRs constantly on the field, our Offense would be deadly.

Totally agree, it would take our offense to another level, more so than a deep threat receiver.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

The kid can ball, saw him play.

InTheZone

Reaction score
if you're being serious, I'm being serious. You are over-exaggerating. Dak was much improved in accuracy, but I bet you take every pass a receiver has to make a slight adjustment and consider that a bad pass but not do it for other QBs. I'm watching a lot of games from 2011-2013 and Romo would be considered inaccurate by the standards Dak is held to today. Dak had some accuracy issues earlier in his career where he missed badly. That has morphed into anything not thrown with pinpoint accuracy as being inaccurate. It's just like the people who believed we couldn't convert 3rd and short before 2014 or people who believe we go 3 and out all the time. Your eyes are telling you what you want to see. Judge everyone with the same critical eye and the variance is not as great as you might think.
so even critique? So for example I saw the flaws in Jaylon Smith in 2018 despite people thinking he was great, and then he goes on to get exposed in 2019 for things I already expected? How about I recognized Josh Norman as a very good player before the media and fans were all over him the following year, then people try to say he was only a one year wonder. Some of you act like there's just 100% hate and nothing more with Dak when anyone opens their mouth about him. I even had a thread at one point for the defenders to post what they think Dak needs to improve on and not one single defender could actually come out and say anything, that's how sad and petty the other side of this argument is.

You watched Mahome in the playoffs, correct? Outside the superbowl this guy was on point for almost every pass. The few times in a game he had bad passes you'd have trolls instantly come out saying "guess Dak isn't the only one that sucks". I even agreed there were bad passes. But then you can call out Dak for throwing SEVERAL, and I mean noticeably more than a few, bad passes a game where the ball sailed too high on a open receiver preventing more YAC, too low again preventing any chance of YAC, behind the receiver preventing any YAC. Dak can't even consistently throw the ball to protect a receiver - he'll lead his dudes head on into a defender locked in on the hit. Is that fair enough for you?

Yes I'm fully aware of the dropped passes and I'm fully aware no qb is perfect, save that tired argument. We're talking about Daks game and his inabilities are bigger issues than any amount of drops he has. Defender logic after 2018: Dak took all those sacks because of Garrett, Zeke, the OLine, the receivers, scheme, etc. Defender logic in 2019: Dak took so many less sacks, clearly he's improving! I mean damn, if he wasn't at fault in 2018 for those ridiculous sacks then the team around him must have gotten that much better in 2019, no?

I don't even know why I responded, we're both stuck in the same boat with what we have on the field. People can try to look at it in a always positive light, it's whatever.

EJK24

Reaction score
If they draft a wr it needs to be with a 6th round pick or later. First 5 picks need to be defense - DT, DE, LB, CB, S

I can see your point here because I feel the defense needs alot of help, I just hope they dont force the issue and wind up with players who simply arent good enough to be productive anyway.

We need a third receiver but every team has to make concessions in the salary cap area so if there are players on defense who are of value at our draft slots, then I'd be happy to have help anywhere on defense, but you dont wanna force a safety, corner, or any other position if you have a WR who is available and really good value. So I hope it's going to come down to who is available when we pick more then need.

starfan1

Reaction score
imagine that a thread that started as a WR thread the i cant stand Dak crowd turns into another Dak thread by some. carry on i think it can get up to 20 plus pages like the others. if any of those top 3 receivers are sitting there at 17 Id be completely shocked if they weren't wearing the star next year. They will be on the cowboys draft board and Garrett and Marinelli aren't here to screw it up

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
so even critique? So for example I saw the flaws in Jaylon Smith in 2018 despite people thinking he was great, and then he goes on to get exposed in 2019 for things I already expected? How about I recognized Josh Norman as a very good player before the media and fans were all over him the following year, then people try to say he was only a one year wonder. Some of you act like there's just 100% hate and nothing more with Dak when anyone opens their mouth about him. I even had a thread at one point for the defenders to post what they think Dak needs to improve on and not one single defender could actually come out and say anything, that's how sad and petty the other side of this argument is.

You watched Mahome in the playoffs, correct? Outside the superbowl this guy was on point for almost every pass. The few times in a game he had bad passes you'd have trolls instantly come out saying "guess Dak isn't the only one that sucks". I even agreed there were bad passes. But then you can call out Dak for throwing SEVERAL, and I mean noticeably more than a few, bad passes a game where the ball sailed too high on a open receiver preventing more YAC, too low again preventing any chance of YAC, behind the receiver preventing any YAC. Dak can't even consistently throw the ball to protect a receiver - he'll lead his dudes head on into a defender locked in on the hit. Is that fair enough for you?

Yes I'm fully aware of the dropped passes and I'm fully aware no qb is perfect, save that tired argument. We're talking about Daks game and his inabilities are bigger issues than any amount of drops he has. Defender logic after 2018: Dak took all those sacks because of Garrett, Zeke, the OLine, the receivers, scheme, etc. Defender logic in 2019: Dak took so many less sacks, clearly he's improving! I mean damn, if he wasn't at fault in 2018 for those ridiculous sacks then the team around him must have gotten that much better in 2019, no?

I don't even know why I responded, we're both stuck in the same boat with what we have on the field. People can try to look at it in a always positive light, it's whatever.
Perception is a hell of a thing. He's improved tremendously, but for the rest of his career every non-perfect pass is going to be noticeable to the people who are hell bent on believing his accuracy sucks. It's the reason why many people think Romo was a choker. Every single time he didn't come through it just validated the bias. The same thing is happen and will continue to happen with Dak. You will notice every single time a ball is slightly behind a receiver and it happens to all QBs. It just sticks out much more in your mind with Dak because you're looking for it and it's apparently a big issue for you. That's all I'm saying. Judge QBs with the same critical eye you do with Dak and you'll see a ton more inaccurate passes.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Perception is a hell of a thing. He's improved tremendously, but for the rest of his career every non-perfect pass is going to be noticeable to the people who are hell bent on believing his accuracy sucks. It's the reason why many people think Romo was a choker. Every single time he didn't come through it just validated the bias. The same thing is happen and will continue to happen with Dak. You will notice every single time a ball is slightly behind a receiver and it happens to all QBs. It just sticks out much more in your mind with Dak because you're looking for it and it's apparently a big issue for you. That's all I'm saying. Judge QBs with the same critical eye you do with Dak and you'll see a ton more inaccurate passes.
Just a fyi I'm not one of those who has an opinion and sticks to it no matter what. That very issue you think I have is true for a lot of society especially when it comes to politics and certain agendas.. There are a handful of players who I either initially liked then ended up disliking or vice versa. I have come around on some players who I greatly disliked at first, but I can promise you Dak has nothing but an uphill battle to convince me. The next time our offense is sputtering late in season over several games and all we can do is feel bad for the guy because he has great character (that's even being questioned now) that should be all we need to know that our answer is already there.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
As you know NFL always adjust, and that will be the case for this offense if they don’t add another deep threat to the unit.

I believe this draft is the perfect place to pickup a speedy WR that can play the slot and go out the deep to take the safeties away from Amari and & Zeke ( similar role Ted Ginn played for Panthers and Saints)

Either you get a top tier drop down to 17 or picking up one up in the mid rounds the personnel is going to be there to get scooped up!

It will also make your franchise QB very happy and not mid OTAs or training camp.

They can just resign Tavon Austin if all they want is speed and a returner.