CFZ Cowboys Need to Know Who They Are

817Gill

Reaction score
I see a lot of us blaming a player or a play for the loss. For me, I think it’s quite obvious that this coaching staff does not play to who they are. Instead, they play to who they want to be.

Offensively:

-They have to know it is a run first team. They have to understand that we should be 45/55 pass vs run.

-They need to know that other than the top 2/3 elite QB’s, throwing 40+ passes consistently is a recipe for a .500 record. It’s not just Dak either, any QB who’s not top of the line elite needs to rely on a complete team to play to it’s strengths.

-They have to know their most dependable weapons either run the ball or play their best off of play action. This includes TE’s as well as Dak.

-They have to know that Dak is overwhelmingly more effective when the team runs at a high level. 25-35 pass attempts depending on game script, but we should want to stay in that 25-28 range.

Defensively:

-They have to know that their Achilles heel is run defense and therefore there should be an emphasis on fits. Not pass rush/coverage.

-They need to stop being so pressed on sacks and pass rush and need to emphasize stopping the run. This team is addicted to the flash of sacks and turnovers and the DC is at the head of that. It’s clear from watching All-22 this front 7 wants to play the pass a lot more than the run and they act accordingly. At this point, it’s being taught that way; it is not a personnel issue. We have the players to be at least average in that department.

-They need to understand that stopping the run forces teams to pass. You wanna rush the passer and jump routes? Play run defense first and you get your wish.

Both Moore and Quinn seem to call games for that they want the team to be, not what it is. This is where Mike must step in and hammer down on emphasizing these things. This team can be so complementary if it runs well, keeps the game in the QB’s wheelhouse, and allows the defense be on the field less with opposing offenses forced to pass due to TOP.

That’s the complimentary football we should be playing, not trying to run up the score in the passing game and relying on that to scare offenses into passing. If you try to score too fast with big plays you either score quick and allow the other team enough time to stay with the run or you take risks that can turn into TO’s. Coaches need to understand who we are and keep us there, any significant schematic variation severely cripples our chance of winning against the better teams in this league.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Both Moore and Quinn seem to call games for that they want the team to be, not what it is.
No wall of text needed, this is it. They are simply not playing to their strengths. Said this in numerous other threads.

The reason why Cooper Rush worked was because Moore understood that he needed a different approach with him under center.

Too bad that Dak can't provide more atm, but Kellen thinks he does.

817Gill

Reaction score
No wall of text needed, this is it. They are simply not playing to their strengths. Said this in numerous other threads.

The reason why Cooper Rush worked was because Moore understood that he needed a different approach with him under center.

Too bad that Dak can't provide more atm, but Kellen thinks he does.
Yeah had a lot of thoughts lol but it’s maddening. Just play the right way and we have the talent to beat anyone. Once we try to become an idealistic highlight-chasing version of ourselves we lose any edge we have.

Praying this GB loss was the final lesson.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The coaching staff is in its 3rd season, we are 7-8 games into the season ............they should already have/know the answers to every question OP. I'm sure some teams' different personnel or schemes are forcing us to adjust, but that's no excuse. For example, 4 yards are needed on 4th down in OT, and can't run a routine high-percentage play. Zero excuses for that......

817Gill

Reaction score
The coaching staff is in its 3rd season, we are 7-8 games into the season ............they should already have/know the answers to every question OP. I'm sure some teams' different personnel or schemes are forcing us to adjust, but that's no excuse. For example, 4 yards are needed on 4th down in OT, and can't run a routine high-percentage play. Zero excuses for that......
Shoot on 3rd down that 100% has to be a run if you’re going on 4th. 100%.

Plus with a guy like Pollard that could be 6 and goodnight Green Bay. Back to back passing plays when you need 3-4 yards and you’re averaging over 5 YPC is asinine.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I see a lot of us blaming a player or a play for the loss. For me, I think it’s quite obvious that this coaching staff does not play to who they are. Instead, they play to who they want to be.

Offensively:

-They have to know it is a run first team. They have to understand that we should be 45/55 pass vs run.

-They need to know that other than the top 2/3 elite QB’s, throwing 40+ passes consistently is a recipe for a .500 record. It’s not just Dak either, any QB who’s not top of the line elite needs to rely on a complete team to play to it’s strengths.

-They have to know their most dependable weapons either run the ball or play their best off of play action. This includes TE’s as well as Dak.

-They have to know that Dak is overwhelmingly more effective when the team runs at a high level. 25-35 pass attempts depending on game script, but we should want to stay in that 25-28 range.

Defensively:

-They have to know that their Achilles heel is run defense and therefore there should be an emphasis on fits. Not pass rush/coverage.

-They need to stop being so pressed on sacks and pass rush and need to emphasize stopping the run. This team is addicted to the flash of sacks and turnovers and the DC is at the head of that. It’s clear from watching All-22 this front 7 wants to play the pass a lot more than the run and they act accordingly. At this point, it’s being taught that way; it is not a personnel issue. We have the players to be at least average in that department.

-They need to understand that stopping the run forces teams to pass. You wanna rush the passer and jump routes? Play run defense first and you get your wish.

Both Moore and Quinn seem to call games for that they want the team to be, not what it is. This is where Mike must step in and hammer down on emphasizing these things. This team can be so complementary if it runs well, keeps the game in the QB’s wheelhouse, and allows the defense be on the field less with opposing offenses forced to pass due to TOP.

That’s the complimentary football we should be playing, not trying to run up the score in the passing game and relying on that to scare offenses into passing. If you try to score too fast with big plays you either score quick and allow the other team enough time to stay with the run or you take risks that can turn into TO’s. Coaches need to understand who we are and keep us there, any significant schematic variation severely cripples our chance of winning against the better teams in this league.
Excellent write up!
Thanks for posting.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Offensively:

Defensively:

They for CERTAIN need to know who they are.

Problem is, thats DEFINITELY not a team that can ride Prescotts arm as a pocket passer, and the dudes in charge see him as an elite passer, and whose contract they would like to justify.

I really don’t know how much leeway they give the staff, but I’d wager big money that Jerry sticks his nose in, as far as “what I’d like to see.”

If you’re not a moron you listen to the boss. Why do I feel as if the problems overall lie somewhere within that area?

817Gill

Reaction score
They for CERTAIN need to know who they are.

Problem is, thats DEFINITELY not a team that can ride Prescotts arm as a pocket passer, and the dudes in charge see him as an elite passer, and whose contract they would like to justify.

I really don’t know how much leeway they give the staff, but I’d wager big money that Jerry sticks his nose in, as far as “what I’d like to see.”

If you’re not a moron you listen to the boss. Why do I feel as if the problems overall lie somewhere within that area?
It’s not inconceivable, just really confuses me as to why they’d be so stubborn but I guess that’s one of Jerry’s MO’s.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Run balanced. But sometimes I see Moore just throwing in a run here and there to get his run snap count up. After the egirls game we ran it 27 times plus a few runs by Dak and flip plays to Turpin. Threw it 25 times.

Bears game ran 22 times plus 5 by Dak and a few were designed. And the flips to Turpin and Lamb. Passed it 27 times.

In the egirls game Moore had our backup throw 38 times and run 26 times.

Packers game we throw 46 times and run 27 times and 4 runs by Dak. A few of them were running for his life. 9 penalties for 83 yards. That second pick should have need a run play. Then take the FG.

Get the formula. Yeah I know our Defense gave up points and run yards. They get some blame to.

Expect now we have lost a game he will go the next 3 or so games running balanced. If we stay with the formula and run and establish it and take short passes in the first half or close to it and then run it and play action in the second half then we open it up and the deeper passes are there. MM needs to keep him in line or make Moore watch MM call a game. Even he knows the formula.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Did we even run a quick slant. Or pump fake and a shot down the sidelines to Gallup. He didn’t use the TE’s other than Shultz.

glimmerman

Reaction score
All are high-percentage plays for 3-5 ........ hell look at the quick slant the Packers called/ran to seal the game.
Especially having the crossing play with the TE. Dak rolls out with the TE crossing 5 yards or so and he hits him with easy pass and turns it upfield. Always good for 10. Instead you try to drive it 15 or 20 yards with a timing route everyone knows is coming. Just 12 or 13 personnel and run it or quick passes.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Shoot on 3rd down that 100% has to be a run if you’re going on 4th. 100%.

Plus with a guy like Pollard that could be 6 and goodnight Green Bay. Back to back passing plays when you need 3-4 yards and you’re averaging over 5 YPC is asinine.
They finally unleashed the Draw play I been begging for and it worked. Green Bay wants to get to Dak in the backfield let them and let Pollard run right pass them for 10+ yard gain.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
They are trying to be the Indianapolis Colts when the Colts had Peyton Manning. Run up the score on offense and get after the quarterback on defense. The problem is the coats only one one Super Bowl with that style of play. It really doesn't work.

817Gill

Reaction score
They are trying to be the Indianapolis Colts when the Colts had Peyton Manning. Run up the score on offense and get after the quarterback on defense. The problem is the coats only one one Super Bowl with that style of play. It really doesn't work.
Bingo! Such a small margin for error in that style while also needing elite QB play for a whole season. Less than 1% of players can do that.

The sooner they realize that the better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Offensively:

Defensively:

Lol….so you just turn around and blame coaching?
The irony!

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe Moana's grandmother can show up and sing the "Know who are" song for them at halftime.

Sorry, I have an 8 year old. This is funny to me.