CFZ Cowboys need to re-sign Bones Fassel

quickccc

Reaction score
i think Bones Fassel' s contract is up this last year, but i would really love the Cowboys
to re-sign him long term.

Bones Fassell special teams impact has easily been the best and most effective since Joe Avezzano.

- Once Bones cut out the bizarre disasters (ill time fake punts) and just flat up played str8 disciplined, fundamental special teams, his SP unit has been a true difference maker .

It's not just Dorace's FG block vs NYG, (the first FG block in 5 years)

It is something about Bones scheme, way of teaching, study work that seems to bring a knack for getting to the kicks for blocks. - especially punts !
No matter the personnel here, ala Luke Gifford, Corey Flements, etc. heck, Simi Fehoko seemed to just barely miss a punt block last week vs Cincy,

- Sure it hasn't been all pretty, as Bones was responsible for departed preference kicker Greg Zuelien last year, and Greg Z certainly had his episodes .

- But it helps current FG kicker Brett Maurer thus far is off to a great start. Seems like a more improved,
reliable FG kicker who is nailing the FG chances he is getting,
provides the deep non-return KO's, and he is not missing Xtra point chip shots he was when he
was last here.

So far i'm eating crow with my protest of the re-signing of " lose no sleep" Maurer.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ST's much improved then before Fassel arrived.
Now he has Turpin as the return man, so teams needs to plan for that also.
Glad to see he had a good return against the NYG. Can't wait for his 1st TD return.

Carson

Reaction score
I like Bones. He tends to be a bit more aggressive at the wrong times but that was mostly last season. They have been phenomenal this season.

They likely won’t as if McCarthy goes they will bring in a new staff. I am all for keeping him in McCarthy is staying.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Kudos to the Cowboys and Bones for researching, recruiting returner KaVontae Turpin,..who could've been signed by any other NFL team.
This guy is slippery elusive and he truly has a 2nd gear burst upfield, i truly believe it is only a matter of time before he hits one wide open big for a return TD.!
i can just see it coming. ..:D

- Also Cowboys signing and re-signing pro bowler punter Bryan Anger to a team friendly deal, i thought he was a FA goner.
Maybe it goes unnoticed among fans, but his booming punts changes field positions often, and he's consistent with it. .

- they also brought on a pro bowl long snapper in Jake McQuaide who doesn't make bad snaps on FGs.

- Our kick coverage units seems to be solid for the most part since Bones has been here.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Loved the hire at the time, and he's finally got this unit rolling. We're covering kicks, making FG's, making PAT's, punting well, returning it well, and actually getting some blocks. I think the 2020 Falcons game is also one of the only times I can remember Dallas recovering an onside kick recently.

I don't miss him inserting himself into games with the goofy fake punts, but overall his unit has been impressive.

Majic

Reaction score
i think Bones Fassel' s contract is up this last year, but i would really love the Cowboys

Bones Fassell special teams impact has easily been the best and most effective since Joe Avezzano.

- Once Bones cut out the bizarre disasters (ill time fake punts) and just flat up played str8 disciplined, fundamental special teams, his SP unit has been a true difference maker .

It is something about Bones scheme, way of teaching, study work that seems to bring a knack for getting to the kicks for blocks. - especially punts !
No matter the personnel here, ala Luke Gifford, Corey Flements, etc. heck, Simi Fehoko seemed to just barely miss a punt block last week vs Cincy,

- Sure it hasn't been all pretty, as Bones was responsible for departed preference kicker Greg Zuelien last year, and Greg Z certainly had his episodes .

- But it helps current FG kicker Brett Maurer thus far is off to a great start. Seems like a more improved,
provides the deep non-return KO's, and he is not missing Xtra point chip shots he was when he
was last here.

So far i'm eating crow with my protest of the re-signing of " lose no sleep" Maurer.

What do you mean by long-term? I'd give him a couple more years based on this season so far. But no more than that. He's doing well but I don't think we need to get too carried away

quickccc

Reaction score
I like Bones. He tends to be a bit more aggressive at the wrong times but that was mostly last season. They have been phenomenal this season.

They likely won’t as if McCarthy goes they will bring in a new staff. I am all for keeping him in McCarthy is staying.

- Cowboys management can " recommend " that the assuming new HC retain Bones.
They did so with McCarthy and the leftovers Kellen Moore and Mussenheimer (sp)

- and new DC Dan Quinn retained George Edwards, Leon Lett and Al Harris from the dreadful Mike Nolan era.

quickccc

Reaction score
What do you mean by long-term? I'd give him a couple more years based on this season so far. But no more than that. He's doing well but I don't think we need to get too carried away

If another NFL team recruits Bones as a possible hire,.. they may lure him away by promising to let him return to be the bizarre, aggressive chance-taking gambler he was with the LA Rams,
.. and what we unfortunately saw in the earlier times here in Dallas.

i really believe it was those gambling chance-takers ways that forced the Rams to move on without him, ..and there's no question that some force here instructed Bones to no longer
do that here in Dallas.

Bones has a reputation for being one of the better special teams coaches in the NFL, and now i can see why.
Once the gambler trigger is taken away from him.

JayFord

Reaction score
Ive liked Bones

but i always feel Mike needed to control his agressiveness...because he'll take it too far at times

MaineBoy

Reaction score
He was the number one guy behind the disaster know as “Greg the Leg”….

DandyTom64

Reaction score
Bones Fassel needs to be connected to Jerry's----hip bone. Jerry's hip bone is connected to his ----wallet bone.

Majic

Reaction score
If another NFL team recruits Bones as a possible hire,.. they may lure him away by promising to let him return to be the bizarre, aggressive chance-taking gambler he was with the LA Rams,
.. and what we unfortunately saw in the earlier times here in Dallas.

i really believe it was those gambling chance-takers ways that forced the Rams to move on without him, ..and there's no question that some force here instructed Bones to no longer
do that here in Dallas.

Bones has a reputation for being one of the better special teams coaches in the NFL, and now i can see why.
Once the gambler trigger is taken away from him.

So what your suggesting is, he's like someone with a gambling problem who unless he is controlled with run riot and is out of control and he will leave if another team gives him a free reign to do what he wants.

quickccc

Reaction score
So what your suggesting is, he's like someone with a gambling problem who unless he is controlled with run riot and is out of control and he will leave if another team gives him a free reign to do what he wants.

Hopefully Bones is content with the current status quo...and the current powers that be,..
As he is now, - he's been a big difference making coach, imo. and i'd love to keep him here.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I like Bones but dude had to dial it back! If I was a ST player he would be a great coach to play for because you know you have a chance to impact the game. So many teams just want their ST units to not make mistakes. Bones wants to attack and I think that inspires those that play for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is a nice turn around, year 1 you could not find many here who did not want to fire him. Now last season and the start of this season special teams in making an impact.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

was last here.

Yeah but he looks like a freak on the sidelines. He’s all bones…..:)

quickccc

Reaction score
I like Bones but dude had to dial it back! If I was a ST player he would be a great coach to play for because you know you have a chance to impact the game. So many teams just want their ST units to not make mistakes. Bones wants to attack and I think that inspires those that play for him.

Now if da Bones can diverse his attack mode into punts and FG blocks, as well as setting it up for explosive returner Turpin....

If the SP teams can really give Turpin some good breathing room clean blocks for him to manuever and gain momentum, it's just only a mere matter of Turpin Time to break it big with
a return TD ..!

..Tick, tick, tick, .. :cool:

aikemirv

Reaction score
- Kudos to the Cowboys and Bones for researching, recruiting returner KaVontae Turpin,..who could've been signed by any other NFL team.
This guy is slippery elusive and he truly has a 2nd gear burst upfield, i truly believe it is only a matter of time before he hits one wide open big for a return TD.!
i can just see it coming. ..:D

- Also Cowboys signing and re-signing pro bowler punter Bryan Anger to a team friendly deal, i thought he was a FA goner.
Maybe it goes unnoticed among fans, but his booming punts changes field positions often, and he's consistent with it. .

- they also brought on a pro bowl long snapper in Jake McQuaide who doesn't make bad snaps on FGs.

- Our kick coverage units seems to be solid for the most part since Bones has been here.
I felt it coming and called it before he had the long return Monday night. I was just a bit off!