Cowboys Need To Take Page From Penn State So T.O. Gets Ball In His Hands..

Reaction score
I am watching the Penn State game and have noticed that PSU trying different ways to get their best WR, Derrick Williams, the ball.

The Cowboys need to do the same with their best WR, T.O.

PSU has been lining Derrick Williams all over the place. They been doing direct snaps and letting Williams use his speed and size to confuse the defense.

PSU has been using screens, bubble screens, while Williams lining-up in the backfield. The offensive coach has done a great job mixing it up.

PSU also had Derrick line-up in the backfield and done a toss play that gained big yards.

Variety, Variety, Variety!! Something Garrett has lacked. Garrett has done a poor job at getting his best WR the ball.

Garrett needs to get creative! Whatever it takes, Dallas needs to get the ball in their PlayMakers hands, at all cost.

Just a thought!

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Garrett has been trying plenty hard to get TO the ball. Unfortunately, we haven't had a QB capable of doing it for some time now.

Reaction score
tomson75;2408265 said:
Garrett has been trying plenty hard to get TO the ball. Unfortunately, we haven't had a QB capable of doing it for some time now.

What was his excuse when Romo was at QB. Plus, when there was QB issues is the time to run plays like I mentioned.

Reaction score
tomson75;2408265 said:

No he has not... crappy play calling. Leave him in the slot.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2408298 said:
No he has not... crappy play calling. Leave him in the slot.

I never said he was doing a good job of calling plays.

...but yeah, he has tried hard to get TO the ball. He hasn't done a good job of making it happen, nor have the players done a good job of executing...but to say he hasn't tried is completely wrong. There was one game (Wash or Ariz?) were he had like 3 completions and one rush, but was thrown at over 20 times. That's absurd. They've also called quite a few reverses and rushing plays for him.

Garrett has tried, its just that he's pretty much failed, as have the players he's asked to execute his plays.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2408265 said:

Pick6TerenceNewman;2408266 said:
What was his excuse when Romo was at QB. Plus, when there was QB issues is the time to run plays like I mentioned.
I think something that needs mentioned is the way defenses were playing TO are likely over. Having your CB cover him as close as possible with safety help deep killed his production. Throw in bad QB play and it's no surprise his production has slipped.

Now we have R. Williams on the other side. Also F. Jones is returning. A returning healthy Romo can get some playmaking ability back at the QB position. Teams won't be able to double TO like before so I expect to see his production return.

Defensive cordinators can start having sleepless nights again. :D

sbark

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2408311 said:
I think something that needs mentioned is the way defenses were playing TO are likely over. Having your CB cover him as close as possible with safety help deep killed his production. Throw in bad QB play and it's no surprise his production has slipped.

Now we have R. Williams on the other side. Also F. Jones is returning. A returning healthy Romo can get some playmaking ability back at the QB position. Teams won't be able to double TO like before so I expect to see his production return.

Defensive cordinators can start having sleepless nights again. :D

....but it is gonna take TO in motion to get off the line free.......teams have it down that TO can be jammed at LOS, you'd think a guy that big and strong would be able tojust shed the smaller dbacks.......needs karate lessons...you what they are doing to him against them

khiladi

Reaction score
tomson75;2408302 said:
There was one game (Wash or Ariz?) were he had like 3 completions and one rush, but was thrown at over 20 times. That's absurd.

Bad statistic.. Besides the fact, those throws include catches that are off target and behind his head, which many clearly were against the Commanders, they can include throws when he was not even the primary receiver on a play, but Tony just threw it there, because nobody was open...

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
khiladi;2408328 said:
Bad statistic.. Besides the fact, those throws include catches that are off target and behind his head, which many clearly were against the Commanders, they can include throws when he was not even the primary receiver on a play, but Tony just threw it there, because nobody was open...

Umm...duh. It's a statistic nonetheless, and is clearly an appropriate representative of the point I'm trying to make. When was the last time you heard of a receiver being targeted 20+ times in a game. It doesn't happen very often. He's also had rushing plays far more often as of late than normal...and more than most receivers see in a full season. Garrett was clearly TRYING to get him the ball. It's plain as day...its' just not working, for multiple reasons/excuses.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Penn State just loss, and alot of college plays fail to work on the big boys

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
hey look the magic route theory.

those crazy magic routes. That is all that is missing.

Reaction score
sbark;2408327 said:
....but it is gonna take TO in motion to get off the line free.......teams have it down that TO can be jammed at LOS, you'd think a guy that big and strong would be able tojust shed the smaller dbacks.......needs karate lessons...you what they are doing to him against them

That's one thing that surprises me. I get to watch Steve Smith on TV here in Charlotte all the time, and he is much smaller than TO, but he welcomes DBs to try and press him. He'll fight it off, get past the DB, and ends up with a huge gain.

I would think that TO should just abuse DBs in press coverage.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
You mean how MY HAWKEYES BEAT THE PREVIOUSLY UNDEFEATED #3 TEAM IN THE NATION!!!!!!!

Representing the Haweyes hard and proud!

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
sbark;2408327 said:

I call BS! That's media agenda driven *********! They show a few clips of TO getting effectively jammed at the LOS and all of the sudden he can't beat the jam anymore.
GIVE ME A FRIGGEN BREAK.

The only thing that teams "figured out" is that it's best to double TO just about the whole game, jam him with a CB and give safety help over the top.

Given our strong desire to feed him the ball at all costs and given the fact that he as good as he's ever been, it's in the defenses best interest to just double him at every opportunity and force Romo to look elsewhere.

Let's hope Roy Williams and a well rested Witten can make teams pay for this.

Eskimo

Reaction score
The other possibility to consider is that TO has finally met up with father time. I guess we'll see what happens when Romo is back and RW11 is lined up opposite him.

The one thing arguing for the "father time" theory is JJ just give him a big extension in his 30s after coming off a late season injury with one year left on his deal. How many times has that scenario blown up in our faces?