Twitter: Cowboys News 6/11, first day of mini camp

Kaiser

Reaction score
McGovern was injured right after cashing his signing bonus check.

giphy.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don’t have depth at DT for that.

I thought that article was terrible. If the idea of trading Collins (while keeping Crawford) wasn't bad enough, he follows it up by talking about "trading Mike White"? Seriously? You couldn't get a bag of used footballs for the kid right now. He's still a complete unknown and has no value. Just hope that you can find a competent backup yourself before you think you can get something for him.

Kaiser

Reaction score
We don’t have depth at DT for that.

Exactly, Collins is more likely to be the starter than trade bait.

Also if Mike White improves he is likely the backup QB, but I think its more likely the 3rd QB is cut to allow for DL or WR depth. Maybe you get a late conditional pick for whoever loses the battle for the backup QB spot, but its unlikely.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, that was just silly. He's the starting 3T at this point.

Also if Mike White improves he is likely the backup QB, but I think its more likely the 3rd QB is cut to allow for DL or WR depth. Maybe you get a late conditional pick for whoever loses the battle for the backup QB spot, but its unlikely.

I agree with you, given the depth elsewhere, and the lack of a proven backup quarterback, I think they only keep two, and maybe they try to stash the loser of the competition on the practice squad?

RodeoJake

Reaction score

If White can't beat out Rush, he'll have to play somewhere other than the NFL.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree with you, given the depth elsewhere, and the lack of a proven backup quarterback, I think they only keep two, and maybe they try to stash the loser of the competition on the practice squad?

I think White has way more upside and will be the backup, but backup QB is very much an open question in my mind. White has a lot more physical skills than Rush, my question on him is "clock speed" and if he can adjust to the pace of the NFL game. I could see White developing into a very good backup as a Stan Humphries-lite type of guy, but I could also see him being a lesser version of Brandon Weeden that can't process the game fast enough to be a real player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think White has way more upside and will be the backup, but backup QB is very much an open question in my mind. White has a lot more physical skills than Rush, my question on him is "clock speed" and if he can adjust to the pace of the NFL game. I could see White developing into a very good backup as a Stan Humphries-lite type of guy, but I could also see him being a lesser version of Brandon Weeden that can't process the game fast enough to be a real player.

I have big questions about both at this point. Backup quarterback scares me quite a bit.