News: Cowboys Not Lacking Pro Bowl Level Talent

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Not Lacking Pro Bowl Level Talent
http://profootballtalkline.com/nfl/...wboys-not-lacking-pro-bowl-level-talent.html/

Let’s take a deeper look at Dallas’ roster and see what kind of talent they really have. Where are the real Pro Bowl players on this team? On offense, it’s easy to see where the talent is. Dak Prescott has already been an All-Star and even though he still needs to refine some of his skills, he is a Pro Bowl player. The 2018 season is likely to tell us just how good Dak can be, but he has the tools to make multiple Pro Bowls.

Then come the four stars who are Pro Bowl locks virtually every year: Ezekiel Elliott, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin. All of them are among the best in the NFL at their positions and assuming Zeke can avoid trouble and Smith can find a way to stay healthy, these four are the core four of studs. They are also all in the primes of their careers, the Cowboys will ride them and they will add up the frequent flyer miles making trips to the Pro Bowl.

It’s difficult to find another consistent player on the offense that we can look to and proclaim he’s a Pro Bowl player. Dez Bryant still has that ability in him and even though Jason Witten continues to rack up the trips, he’s not a shoo-in anymore. Bryant can get back to that level, he just needs to work with Prescott and find their chemistry. Maybe the fit with Dak never comes, but Dez is capable of having another big year or two, we’ll see if the Cowboys can get it out of him...

jay94

Reaction score
Tyron was not one of the best last year. You can blame the injuries for the performance, but I believe it has been 3 YEARS in a row with back problems. That is very concerning! I don't buy that Dez has the talent left in him either, he has lost two many steps, which were crucial for someone that has never been able to run great routes. This does not make Dez bad, just don't ever expect to see him in the top 5 conversation again. That being said, we do have talent, just like every team. Jason Witten is no liability, but there are many other Tight End's I would take at this point in his career. The two guys that you didn't mention were Seen Lee and Lawrence, who are both underrated, although I hope Lawrence is not a flash in the pan. He had a great year hope he can continue it.

I think to be a full contender we need a major upgrade at the following position units, dt, lb (hopefully that can be Jaylon), and back end preferably safety. Were to average at each one of those position units. We could also use a receiver too. I'm talking starters and not depth fwiw.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The talent has been there. The coaching is the problem and will be for at LEAST another year.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Cowboys Not Lacking Pro Bowl Level Talent
http://profootballtalkline.com/nfl/...wboys-not-lacking-pro-bowl-level-talent.html/

Let’s take a deeper look at Dallas’ roster and see what kind of talent they really have. Where are the real Pro Bowl players on this team? On offense, it’s easy to see where the talent is. Dak Prescott has already been an All-Star and even though he still needs to refine some of his skills, he is a Pro Bowl player. The 2018 season is likely to tell us just how good Dak can be, but he has the tools to make multiple Pro Bowls.

Then come the four stars who are Pro Bowl locks virtually every year: Ezekiel Elliott, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin. All of them are among the best in the NFL at their positions and assuming Zeke can avoid trouble and Smith can find a way to stay healthy, these four are the core four of studs. They are also all in the primes of their careers, the Cowboys will ride them and they will add up the frequent flyer miles making trips to the Pro Bowl.

It’s difficult to find another consistent player on the offense that we can look to and proclaim he’s a Pro Bowl player. Dez Bryant still has that ability in him and even though Jason Witten continues to rack up the trips, he’s not a shoo-in anymore. Bryant can get back to that level, he just needs to work with Prescott and find their chemistry. Maybe the fit with Dak never comes, but Dez is capable of having another big year or two, we’ll see if the Cowboys can get it out of him...

Not at you CCBoy, but I don’t give 2 sh**s about Pro Bowl talent. I want playoff talent. Pro Bowl is for guys from loser teams.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, but we're so weak in key areas like DT, FS, and OT that it negates that pro bowl talent.

Big_D

Reaction score
Sure but Lee is 32 and Tyron might not play a full season again? Pro Bowl talent clearly only gets you so far, the team has to be smart enough to improve beyond that. And they simply are not.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just for the record, this fan would gladly start with Pro Bowl talent before looking for flies that may be about...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Pro Bowl talent is overrated.

Playoff wins are not.

Most of the players who get to the Pro Bowl are excellent players, is Zack Martin overrated? Of course not.

Being on the Pro Bowl is an individual honor, it may or may not have anything to do with playoff wins. It's a team sport, you can be All World at cornerback, e.g., but if the rest of your defense sucks, you aren't getting to the playoffs.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No team has Pro Bowl talent at every position, and no team is bereft of Pro Bowl talent totally (being on a losing team like the Browns may mean you don't make the Pro Bowl even if your play on the field is tops in the league, meaning the talent is there, it's just not recognized).

Dallas' problem is that they think having two or three superstars and a bunch of mediocre players will result in SBs, the two or three superstar idea is fine, but you need a lot of your remaining players to be at least average, preferably a bit better than average. Jerry fills up his roster with players like Cooper who've been on multiple teams and couldn't hack it..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
" Pro Bowl is for guys from loser teams."

The Pro Bowl is for individual play, not team play...

kskboys

Reaction score
Just for the record, this fan would gladly start with Pro Bowl talent before looking for flies that may be about...
Not really. Too much pro bowl talent means you're going to have to pay them way too much. Which means you'll have major weaknesses elsewhere and poor backups. Which is exactly what has been plaguing us for years.

While I don't agree w/ a lot of what Bellychickens does, I do agree w/ him in principle. You trade off most players before you have to pay them a ton.

Now where I disagree w/ him is letting Chandler Jones and Jabaal Sheard walk. You're going to have to pay someone, and pass rushers, QB's, and OL should all be at the top of the list. One "war daddy" added to the Pats roster and it's my contention that they beat Philly.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not really. Too much pro bowl talent means you're going to have to pay them way too much. Which means you'll have major weaknesses elsewhere and poor backups. Which is exactly what has been plaguing us for years.

While I don't agree w/ a lot of what Bellychickens does, I do agree w/ him in principle. You trade off most players before you have to pay them a ton.

Now where I disagree w/ him is letting Chandler Jones and Jabaal Sheard walk. You're going to have to pay someone, and pass rushers, QB's, and OL should all be at the top of the list. One "war daddy" added to the Pats roster and it's my contention that they beat Philly.

...or then one has a well managed cap with continual escalations in the NFL contract and cap levels; or one keeps up in the drafting of really quality depth to fill changes in contract demands.

kskboys

Reaction score
...or then one has a well managed cap with continual escalations in the NFL contract and cap levels; or one keeps up in the drafting of really quality depth to fill changes in contract demands.
No, the well managed cap won't do it. Probowlers have to be paid. If you want to continuously have a team full of probowlers, you're going to have to knock almost every draft out of the park.