Cowboys OC wants to 'present things in different ways'

rafaelgreco

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-oc-wants-to-present-things-in-different-ways

During the offseason, the Dallas Cowboys have consistently suggested the changes in the coaching staff could jumpstart the offensive operation.

The move to tap first-time play-caller Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator and add QB coach Jon Kitna comes with some risk.

The realistic expectations that the Cowboys will be a different offense in 2019, however, should be tempered. Dallas will remain Ezekiel Elliott-centric. The biggest hope is that a full year with Amari Cooper and the potential return of center Travis Frederick could allow the Cowboys to be more proficient in what they want to accomplish. If Moore adds more subtle creativity to the operation, it could pay big dividends.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let’s hope we don’t get off to another slow start like 3-5. I’m not sure what we’d trade for then to turn the season around ?

We’ve been fortunate thus far in Dak and Zeke’s early career neither have suffered an injury which could definitely alter the season.

My expectations are wait and see. Not sure how our DL will be with roster changes and what effects. And need to see what effects the return of Frederick and Witten will have along with the play calling and implementation of Spread offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-oc-wants-to-present-things-in-different-ways

During the offseason, the Dallas Cowboys have consistently suggested the changes in the coaching staff could jumpstart the offensive operation.

The move to tap first-time play-caller Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator and add QB coach Jon Kitna comes with some risk.

The realistic expectations that the Cowboys will be a different offense in 2019, however, should be tempered. Dallas will remain Ezekiel Elliott-centric. The biggest hope is that a full year with Amari Cooper and the potential return of center Travis Frederick could allow the Cowboys to be more proficient in what they want to accomplish. If Moore adds more subtle creativity to the operation, it could pay big dividends.

I don't think a total overhaul is required. Just a bit of innovation and creativity. Add in some pre-snap motion and different looks to keep defenses guessing and change up some terribly dated and predictable pass routes and that will go a long way towards improving.

Add to that a better offensive line and short yardage numbers and this offense will be much improved.

Sydla

Reaction score
Moore being a total newb is an advantage actually. There's no game film for opponents to study.

Could be an advantage.

But that advantage doesn't exist if Moore himself isn't ready or equipped to be an OC.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Tempered, dampened and pampered with the new OC

Sydla

Reaction score
Did you see any of Boise States highlights? It's crazy.

I am still not sure hiring Moore as the OC was smart or the right move but there is no question the move and what our offense is going to look like is immensely fascinating.

One thing that has me cautious too when people claim he's going to bring college concepts to the offense...................... people were gushing about Chip Kelly and his wild, open college style offense. And it did catch the league off guard initially before people began to figure things out. Granted, a big issue with Kelly was his hurry up offense which I doubt Moore would try.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect that with so many top picks on the OL and RB that Cowboys want to run the ball but I also think they must do more things in the passing game which will only help the rushing attack. Cowboys must be able to keep defenses from strictly keying on Zeke and the running game and only way I know to stop that is by forcing the defense from crowding the line where LB and safeties are playing up closer to the line. I think much of this will fall to Moore and Dak

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Kellen damn well better present things in different ways.

He knows what happened to his daddy Scott Linehan.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am still not sure hiring Moore as the OC was smart or the right move but there is no question the move and what our offense is going to look like is immensely fascinating.

One thing that has me cautious too when people claim he's going to bring college concepts to the offense...................... people were gushing about Chip Kelly and his wild, open college style offense. And it did catch the league off guard initially before people began to figure things out. Granted, a big issue with Kelly was his hurry up offense which I doubt Moore would try.

Chip Kelly brought his fast paced offense which at time can be great but it can also wear out a defense when you are going 3 and out too many times. Much of what we are seeing around the NFL with the RPO is college based offense. I think in this day and age where college QB are thrown out there day 1 teams have used packages that suite that QB instead of forcing them to be pure pocket passer or having them sit and learn for 2 or 3 years. Now days it seems guys have to come in and be able to play right away and easier to do when the offense is closer to that of the college ranks

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

College and NFL players are just not the same, that' my concern.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Chip Kelly's offense was a huge fundamental change compared to other NFL offenses.

The Kellen Moore Boise State offense is all about changing details, not really fundamentals per se.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Moore being a total newb is an advantage actually. There's no game film for opponents to study.
I don't believe in that game film Theory. A good coach a good team will constantly change according to the teams they play. Just my opinion I don't buy into it.