Twitter: Cowboys Official Twitter: "Considering Trading Michael Gallup?"

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I wish they'd find a team with a D player in the same situation and swap players. The Cowboys do better trading for players than drafting or signing them in FA.

This would likely be the best way to get value. I'd rather do that than trade for a 2nd.

plasticman

Reaction score
Trading Gallup is just begging for a Lamb or Cooper injury.

Talking trade before training camp is so counter-productive. I mean, when was the last time the Cowboys DIDN'T start a season with a slew of injuries? And they would be confident enough to trade away their depth? The Cowboys would never be offered acceptable compensation anyway.

When was the last time the Cowboys traded a player straight up and received at least a 3rd round pick? Gallup is worth more than that.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
This is a fan question sent into the their media site which is totally separate from the front office. Same as if the dmn/star-telegram were asked the question. I assure you that David Helman and Rob Phillips are not making personnel decisions for the Cowboys.

Mailbag: Considering Trading Michael Gallup?

Should, or could the Cowboys look to trade Michael Gallup to get a Top 40 draft pick and a conditional 2022 pick? I think highly of Gallup, but by this time next year his price will prove to be too rich to keep him. Jets, Titans, and the Ravens come to mind as possible targets. — JAMES HOBSON / CHEYENNE, WY

David: I've thought about this a lot since the season ended, and I'm with you. I love Michael Gallup, but he might price himself out of a second contract here in Dallas. If the front office can deal him and draft his replacement this spring, I'm all for it. The only problem is that his contract status might make it hard to get full value for him, as teams typically don't love trading for guys with just one year on their contracts. But if someone was willing to trade a second or third-round pick to get him, I'd have to heavily consider it.

Rob: I understand the long-term logic behind the question. As good as Michael Gallup is (and he's getting better) there's only so much teams can invest at the receiver position, and even a franchise tag next year would not be cap-friendly (it's $16.5 million at WR this year). But the offense is the Cowboys' biggest strength and their best chance at making the playoffs next season. Why weaken that strength for a draft pick who may or may not help you much at all this year? By trying to re-sign Dak, the club is clearly in win-now mode despite 6-10 last year. I just have a hard time buying into a scenario where you sign Dak and then say, "Hey, let's go win a Super Bowl. By the way, one of your best receivers plays for someone else now."
With Cooper, Lamb, rookie, Wilson and Brown you have plenty of options at receiver and they are good, solid options. If trading Gallup allowed you to improve the defense, a QB would be happy because it's not all on the offense to score 40 points a game. Win more games is how you get to the playoffs, having 100 options on offense with no defense isn't going to win a playoff game much less a superbowl.

I like Gallup a ton and would be ok if we didn't trade him but Dallas better get some free agents and draft some starters/contributors in the draft on defense

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Lol Why would the official account tweet this? Clowns.

\

Here's what you didn't figure out. It was millerlite tweeting the Cowboys in mailbag putting the question consider trading Gallup? It's not the Cowboys announcing that.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'd see what his market it. Like if someone got crazy and offered you a first in this draft for him? Yeah, I'd probably take that. A high 2nd? I'd probably consider that too.

There has so much speculation on this the past couple of months that if there was a team seriously considering making an offer they wouldn't need a public announce by the Cowboys which they didn't do.

plymkr

Reaction score
Why telegraph your moves on Twitter of all places.
This is one of the most frustrating behaviors of our "gm". Stop telegraphing your moves or thoughts of a player. It destroys your leverage. How many times does this team have to do this before they learn their lesson. Idiots

DFWJC

Reaction score
We might be able to get picks 66 and 86 from the Jets. That combines to equal pic 48.
But with a draft deep at WR (again) I'm not sure the Jets would do it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Gallup basically was running the most go routes in the league.

Twin928

Reaction score
Lol Why would the official account tweet this? Clowns.

Hell no Gallup knows he is #2 with ceedee coming for the spot thing is Cooper n lamb work great out the slot Gallup haven’t really seen him lineup inside a lot he will give us a discount for sure

Jipper

Reaction score
As with anything it depends on what you get for him.

there is no such thing as an untradable player IF the price is right....I bet there’s even a number of 1st round picks the chiefs would accept for mahomes....might be 10 1sts but it’s still a number

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
guess they floated this purposely to check the temp for his market..
Gallup is more talented than a lot of WR2 in this league and he is a great WR3 on this team.
His value is much more than what most fans want in return in trade value.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'm not trading anything on this team that's young and good. Why? Because we have so few of them and Gallop is one. Well if they be talking 2 number one's I'll consider it:muttley: