Cowboys OL best in History of Team

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Tui, Larry, Step, Newton, Williams. That's the best OL ever IMO. This OL has a long way to go and a lot of skins to nail up before you can say they are the best ever. Still in all, I'm really happy to see them on a path to start buying nails and hammers for the journey.

Give me Donaldson over Step. That guy was a killer.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
72474661_display_image.jpg
Pre-knee injury, probably the meanest, nastiest, most overpowering offensive lineman of all time. At the time, Michael Irvin called him the best player in the NFL.

irishline

Reaction score
I agree with you and watched everything they did.......but, that line did not lead any RB to tie the great Jim Brown........

No your right that line didn't lead a RB to tie the great Jim Brown. That line only lead to the all-time NFL leading rusher leading the league in rushing 4 times, in touchdowns three times, an NFL MVP, and three Super Bowl wins... oh and a super bowl MVP for Emmitt Smith

Silly me for thinking they didn't help do anything for a running back comparable if not "arguably" more impressive.

Last edited:

yentl911

Reaction score
I don't think its the best yet but it has potential.

People always mention the 90s o-line but Landry had some incredible lines in the 70s and early 80s too.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
72474661_display_image.jpg
Pre-knee injury, probably the meanest, nastiest, most overpowering offensive lineman of all time. At the time, Michael Irvin called him the best player in the NFL.

IMO, he was the most dominant player on the 1992, 1993 Super Bowl teams. He set the tone both on the field and in the locker room for those teams.

I'm convinced that if not for the car wreck, that the Cowboys would have been in the Super Bowl in 1994.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Sorry at this point we are not even close to what were in the 90's and even lines in the Landry era.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tui, Larry, Step, Newton, Williams. That's the best OL ever IMO. This OL has a long way to go and a lot of skins to nail up before you can say they are the best ever. Still in all, I'm really happy to see them on a path to start buying nails and hammers for the journey.

Sadly, Larry Allen and Erik Williams were never at their peak at the same time. LA was a rookie the year EW had the car wreck.

Step was gone by 1995 which was the first time that LA and EW really played together.

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
Crazy - I'm not gonna rain on the parade dude. They are good, really good and their story is NOT written yet. Stay tuned.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Easy. Relax guys. I am enjoying this ride like everyone else...but this "Witten may be the best Cowboy ever"....and "this is the best OL ever".....easy. That is disrespectful to all of the players that have come before them and have actually WON!!! It has been so long since we won...we are celebrating regular season victories like they are playoff wins. Again, I am excited. Very excited. But THIS....THIS is what Dallas used to be about. And THIS is what I am hoping we will be about going forward. A big victory like this will HOPEFULLY propel us to bigger things later on this year. So hopefully the players are not eating the cheese...and are excited enough to want bigger and better. This win proved that we can play with AND beat anybody in the league. So hopefully this team will stay commited and dream BIG. And I won't even dare utter what I mean by "dream BIG".

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Allen, Williams, Gogan, Gesek man, the early 90's O line was more dominant on a regular basis. They would tell you we are running the ball, to the left, try to stop us. And no one could. They imposed their will on defenses and if you didn't like it, that was just too bad, were doing it anyways.

This line could be as good, but man, I dont know if there will ever be a greater line that that 90's Oline. it was deadly to defenses.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Despite how well the offensive line has played, we are not done fixing it. We will have to replace Free soon, he's playing solid, but he's not the answer at RT. I'm really hoping Demarcus Lawrence pans out, because we lost out on Michael Schofield in the third round. He would have been Free's replacement, but we can still grab a good RT in future drafts. Leary has also looked solid, but I'm not completely sold on him. Scared about his knee and if he can play 6-7 years in this league at a high level.

Kudos to them all though. I'm loving what they are doing, but this is still a work in progress. Smith, Frederick, and Martin are only going to get better. We need to get our future RT soon though so he can come in and gel with those big 3.

dboyz

Reaction score

Problem is those guys never really played together. Stepnoski left in 1995, when Larry Allen in his second year moved to guard. He played some at tackle in 1994 (after Erik Williams had his injury). 1992-1995 all the lines were really good. I would take the 1995 line with Ray Donaldson coming in to replace Stepnoski. That was a physical line. as I recall: Tuinei, Newton, Donaldson, Allen, Williams. I think that Gesek replaced Donaldson when he got hurt?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Clearly you can't compare the achievement from a team whose careers are done vs a group who is just getting started but in terms of just getting out there and playing? I think this current group stacks up just fine. Romo has time to stand in there and look the field over, our RB is currently tied with Jim Brown for the most 100 yard games to start a season, heck even Emmitt did not achieve that. So while people here are right you can't compare the end accomplishments but again the play I think this unit has the makings of something very special.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Lets see. Trying to be as honest as possible.

LT- Tyron better than Tuinei
LG- call it a wash
C- Fred better than step
RG- LA better than Martin
RT- Big E better than Free

joseephuss

Reaction score
The 90s O-line had so much depth. Look at how many guys ended up playing on the O-line from 1992-1995. I think 4 different guys played center during that time frame and played well.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Oh come on now.

Let's not be silly. This is a damn fine o-line we've got going here but please.

Did you even see the O-line in the early through mid 90's play?

That line was a monster. This is a damn good one, and maybe one day we could really compare it to the 90's one, but right now the 90's one wins hands down.

I mean our 90's O-line led the way for what a 3 or 4 time rushing champion.

I sure did ......watched them in training camp Austin Texas each year..........This Oline is special.........just watch all rushing records in NFL history go down by Murray running behind this line!

landroverking

Reaction score
Maybe the 3rd best.
The Great Wall 1.
70-72 Two. Look what they did for Calvin
Hill, Duane Thomas & Walt Garrison.