Twitter: Cowboys OL, We're back at the top?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
-Garret was the OC here for 3 or 4 years before Smith was drafted. There was no emphasis during his tenure then.
-Just because an Olineman was drafted #1 the year Garrett became HC isn't enough evidence to support your claim.
-Garrett doesn't handle drafting and personnel here in Dallas
-McClay handles those things for the Cowboys and it would make more sense that he was more instrumental.
-Having a strong Oline is offensive football 101 and hardly something to give credit to anyone for. Its not like its a new theory.

Now was Garrett a part of the realization that they want to focus on the Oline? Sure. But to give him full credit is overboard.

Point 1 - He was the OC - NOT the head coach. He has input as OC. He makes the calls as the head coach, unless Jerry Jones is calling the shots. ;)
Point 2 - Garrett has a say in drafting and personnel. You mean to tell me Garrett has ABSOLUTELY NO INPUT in who he is going to draft? You think Garrett wanted Johnny Manziel or Zack Martin?
Point 3 - McClay handles those things NOW in his new role. In 2011, he wasn't handling those things alone, by himself even if he was in the pro scouting department. The Cowboys aren't going to simply turn things over to him once he first steps in the door.
Point 4 - Yes, it is fundamental football. But not everyone places a premium on drafting offensive linemen with early picks. Dallas selected 3 in the span of 8 years. That's pretty impressive.

Moreover, I said I give him credit. I didn't say he did it all by himself. That can't even be inferred in my comment when the Cowboys have a scouting department that contributes to the drafting of players. But Garrett is the head coach. Of course, he gets the credit, unless there's some indication that Jerry is choosing players Garrett disapproves of. Do you possess such information?

Seth5545

Reaction score
People that want to try and understand offense need to look at the facts. Whether its Romo, Dak, Linehan, Garrett, or Moore...………...when the Oline is playing at a high level the offense plays well. And when the line doesn't play well they don't.

Offensive football 101

Unless you have a great qb who can still plays when even in pressure.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It is all, ALL Frederick.

Otherwise you have the same guys doing the same thing.

That is what happens with an elite center.

Take a look around at bad OLs. It usually starts with a bad center.

Remember Phil Costa?