News: Cowboys owner scores big on natural gas bet

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Doomsday101, Jun 23, 2022.

1. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,410 Messages
    21,530 Likes Received
    Adjusted for inflation that’s nearly 60 million so in that time it was a lot of money
    Many so called self made rich people aren’t as self made as they appear. No doubt Jerry is an amazing business man and has grown his wealth very well but it does help to have money to start out with and that he did have

2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

104,726 Messages
    33,796 Likes Received
    Most of the risk he took were his risk not his fathers.

Ranching and rags747 like this.
  3. OGCowboy

OGCowboy Well-Known Member

494 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    I’m fully aware of how he acquired his wealth
    The post was about the money he made on a natural gas deal....I was replying to that.
    Who has 1 billion to invest in a play for a possible return of that magnitude?
    I would be a tad short myself

4. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

10,775 Messages
    13,358 Likes Received
    People keep calling for a real GM, but who do you think this GM is going to work for? Jerry loves hiring puppets, so a GM would do us no good if Jerry's still influencing his decisions.

The Fonz likes this.
  5. Ring Leader

Ring Leader Well-Known Member

1,545 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    I just hope he has some more Super Bowls in the fracking pipeline.

6. MountaineerCowboy

MountaineerCowboy Well-Known Member

15,296 Messages
    28,787 Likes Received
    Rich man get's richer. Big whoop.

Build a winning football team and then I'll be impressed.

OGCowboy likes this.
  7. Ranched

Ranched "We Are Penn State"

33,537 Messages
    81,756 Likes Received
    A self-made Billionaire. Awesome for Mr. Jones! There's so much defamation on this board about Jerry when in fact they're the bitter ones being Jerry is absolutely BRILLIANT pertaining to finances. Hilarious!

Ranching likes this.
  8. JBS

JBS Well-Known Member

18,404 Messages
    16,001 Likes Received
    You’d fail even if you had money

9. OGCowboy

OGCowboy Well-Known Member

494 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Hey vatto you don’t know me...I’m the guy that won the Nigerian lottery....orale. I’m flush

10. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    23,410 Messages
    21,530 Likes Received
    No doubt
    But his father made it possible to take those risks financially
    Not taking anything away from Jerry. He grew his wealth tremendously and from a business perspective he’s the smartest owner in the league
    But like many wealthy people who built great wealth, he had the benefit of having a large amount of money to start with
    His dads company in todays dollars was worth about 60 million so his share certainly helped
    The oil and gas business is very risky and there are many boom and bust stories. Jerry has weathered the ups and downs and built a massive business
    Also buying the cowboys wasn’t like buying a team today either. Today you can’t help but make money because the values of the franchises are soaring. It wasn’t like that when Jerry bought them and he’s a big part of the explosion in wealth all the owners have today

dreghorn2, Hagman and John813 like this.
  11. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

22,306 Messages
    21,298 Likes Received
    I am happy for Jerry, good for him.
    Just wish he would hire a GM to run the Cowboys.
    Then he would have more time to focus on his finances.

Doomsday101 likes this.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

104,726 Messages
    33,796 Likes Received
    I agree. I have said before, If I was buying an NFL team I would not hire Jerry Jones as my GM. However we both know Jerry is not stepping down as GM so what I hope to see is he listens to the football people within the organization like Will McClay. Personally I think Cowboys have done a pretty good job through the draft and in doing so gives the Cowboys a chance.

Typhus likes this.
  13. TequilaCowboy

TequilaCowboy Well-Known Member

2,649 Messages
    3,463 Likes Received
    You have to admit Jerry is one lucky SOB too. Especially once he purchased the Cowboys. Everything seems to have jelled for him afterwards and the money just multiplied. Bet he lays at home thinking how lucky he has been. Except of course with the Cowboys won/loss success....if only he let real pros run this team. Ain't it a shame.

14. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

5,659 Messages
    5,770 Likes Received
    Fake as Fake news gets.

Ranching likes this.
  15. nalam

nalam The realist

7,933 Messages
    4,156 Likes Received
    well he should be barred from the facilities once he is retired ; LOL:lmao2:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country likes this.
  16. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

10,775 Messages
    13,358 Likes Received
    It would be funny as heck to see Jerry trying to run around security to get into the Star.

nalam likes this.
  17. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

5,659 Messages
    5,770 Likes Received
    Don’t need $1B, you could have invested $10K and made the exact same return. To make money you must be willing to risk money, many people are not willing to do that.

Ranching likes this.
  18. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

14,254 Messages
    15,755 Likes Received
    :laugh:
    A natural fuel source.
    No need for the Electric Car agenda, just a very long hose and Jerry.
    Could solve our energy crisis.

Hagman likes this.
  19. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    24,188 Messages
    20,692 Likes Received
    If it was that easy nobody would ever lose money investing, and even moderate investors would become wealthy. Having a lot of money to invest doesn't automatically mean anything you invest in will succeed, it just means that if it does succeed the gain will be big. Conversely, if the investment fails the loss will also be big. The key is picking the right investments.

Ranching likes this.
  20. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

11,949 Messages
    19,090 Likes Received
    2014 / 2015 offered a unique opportunity for energy investors that’s unlikely to be repeated. The ESG morons don’t seem to grasp that about 70pct of electricity is produced by burning coal, natural gas, and by products of each. That won’t change for a long time. The government’s stupidity to force people into EVs and Hybrids with limited infrastructure to support it will further the reliance on tradition sources of electricity fuel. Jerry knows that business and had the capital to risk. I bet he would tell you it was a no brainer. Probably the easiest money he ever made.

rags747 likes this.