Twitter: Cowboys partner with Jaylon Smith's sunglasses company

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger has had his hand slapped so many times, I would be surprised if he didn't run this by the league office before they did it. Unless there is a rule preventing a team from investing in a player's business, don't know how they could stop this.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Wonder if this has anything to do with his "friendly deal" and will this red flag the NFL office?
the NFLPA is the first group that will be looking into this. They do NOT want to see the Cowboys able to LOWER the market because their players can get off field business deals that would not be available to players playing for ....oh..... the rest of the league.

cern

Reaction score
Wonder if this has anything to do with his "friendly deal" and will this red flag the NFL office?
good question. jerry does tend to get his legal ducks in a row before making a move of this sort.

DandyTom64

Reaction score
Just a matter of time before this backfires. I remember Dick Vermeil got in trouble for giving players wine from his winery.
Did you ever taste his wine? I didn't but that could have been the reason.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Booger has had his hand slapped so many times, I would be surprised if he didn't run this by the league office before they did it. Unless there is a rule preventing a team form investing in a player's business, don't know how they could stop this.
The salary cap likely has all sorts of stuff in there that we arent aware of. There is no way you can allow teams to go into business with a player, So lets see.. you are actually worth 15 million a year. I get you to take a deal worth 8 million per season, and then I invest a cool 25 million in your start up business as a "Partner." nobody gets to see the details of this deal to see what percentage the team owns of your "Business," venture. If this is not an issue with the league, I would suspect Dak to start a new business soon, and Jerry will be a nice partner to be involved with. Imagine seeing a nice commercial on the Cowboys web site and on the big jumbo tron for Jaylon's sun glasses before every game kicks off. Imagine seeing those same commercials on the local Cowboys broadcast... only Jaylon gets a kicking deal on the costs of those adds..... as in free. Oh what a beautiful thing. Cmon Jerry/..... lets get these new business ventures up and running.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the NFLPA is the first group that will be looking into this. They do NOT want to see the Cowboys able to LOWER the market because their players can get off field business deals that would not be available to players playing for ....oh..... the rest of the league.
But is there anything preventing them now from investing in any player's side enterprise? Of course, this could cause something to be done about that if it's not already there.

You can bet the phone lines were on fire to Goodell's office from quite a few owners when this surfaced. What's to prevent Booger from underwriting and setting up a player in another business?

I would be very surprised if there wasn't some verbiage addressing this as this was part of what DeBartolo got nailed when he was circumventing the cap. This isn't creative, it's pretty simple. There should be some guidelines in place regarding these side businesses. If not, Booger could have set up McClain in his very own Torched Homes for Insurance by Rolando.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think some of y'all predicted this was coming.

Being a Cowboy has it's bonus perks.
  • No state tax (a 70 million deal is worth 75.5 million compared the Rams, for example):D
  • All the extra off field sales due to being a part of a brand known more than any (or almost any) other sports brand on earth.
Jerry uses this to his advantage. As do the players

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares - let the NFL FO stew about being outsmarted YET AGAIN.
This is pretty blatant, don't know about outsmarting the NFL. This is part of what DeBartolo tried right after the cap came into being.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
JERRY is da man. ....lol

How long before Dak has a new business venture with the Boys also? How long before the NFL starts looking into Dallas circumventing the salary cap?

Its about time Jerry takes advantage of having to OVER PAY players because they are over hyped simply because they are cowboys. Now use it to your advantage.
Dallas isn't the only one doing this so they better look at the Pats first.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
People on this board are acting like this is some major business deal.

It is not. You can now get Jaylon's glasses at the Cowboys' Pro Shop. That's not some major deal. It is literally the most logical place to buy the player's product.

Maybe when y'all vote for legalization, we can bring David Irving back in the fold for some great marketing opportunities.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
good question. jerry does tend to get his legal ducks in a row before making a move of this sort.
The timing of this leads me to believe he feels he's in safe territory. On the way, Prescott Dodge and Cooper Frozen Yogurt.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think some of y'all predicted this was coming.

he may not have gotten top money, but he is going to make money in other ways..... that's the smart move on Jaylon's part...unlike stupidity of Zeke who has almost no public appeal to make money outside of NFL

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Not everyone wants to be a business person though.
This and normally the person posting slick don't have a business themselves. That's what makes it so funny the majority of the time folks speaking on the next person while not doing it themselves.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Pretty sure Jaylon's agent approved the deal, don’t ya think?