Twitter: Cowboys partner with Jaylon Smith's sunglasses company

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The salary cap likely has all sorts of stuff in there that we arent aware of. There is no way you can allow teams to go into business with a player, So lets see.. you are actually worth 15 million a year. I get you to take a deal worth 8 million per season, and then I invest a cool 25 million in your start up business as a "Partner." nobody gets to see the details of this deal to see what percentage the team owns of your "Business," venture. If this is not an issue with the league, I would suspect Dak to start a new business soon, and Jerry will be a nice partner to be involved with. Imagine seeing a nice commercial on the Cowboys web site and on the big jumbo tron for Jaylon's sun glasses before every game kicks off. Imagine seeing those same commercials on the local Cowboys broadcast... only Jaylon gets a kicking deal on the costs of those adds..... as in free. Oh what a beautiful thing. Cmon Jerry/..... lets get these new business ventures up and running.

Read through the thread. It has been pointed out numerous times that Tom Brady and the Patriots have been business partners with his gym for 5 years. It’s even located on Patriots property. Oh yeah, and Tom Brady has been taking below market deals for how long?

Beaker42

Reaction score
This is pretty blatant, don't know about outsmarting the NFL. This is part of what DeBartolo tried right after the cap came into being.
I doubt the Jones’ did this without looking at possible legal and/or financial ramifications.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hadn't thought of that and I agree. Maybe would be along the same lines as Hiney wine. Was that stuff even real?
Nope, it was created as a radio promotional program, I ran that in three markets and got complaints in all three.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt the Jones’ did this without looking at possible legal and/or financial ramifications.
That's what I meant, he's not putting one over on them but it will be interesting to see what happens from here and if other teams start doing what Handjob Bob and Booger are doing.

movaughn88

Reaction score
If you kneel before the King, you get the jewels.

(not saying that's wrong!)

cern

Reaction score
if his glasses offer 100% protectin against ir and uv radiation and are polarized, I will buy them. great for fishing. perhaps when some of the boys go to the keys next year to fish, they will all be wearing his glasses.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I took a quick look at the CBA and didn't see anything that would prohibit it. There may be something in the NFL Bylaws but I don't have that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, how does a team partnering with a player in his business not circumvent the Salary cap?

Edit: just a half a minute late!

It does not circumvent the cap.

What NE and Brady is doing does.
He has a business that NE uses to funnel money into it.

This is not Jaylon's company. Jerry and the Cowboys partner with a business. And Jaylon represents them through advertisements.
It is no different than AT&T is the sponsor of the Cowboys and the stadium. Then some player may do a commercial if AT&T asks them to.

Now does Jerry say to the business, hey I want Jaylon to be your sponsor, who knows. But most likely that can't be proven.

Jaylon also doing a commercial with Reliant Energy.

cern

Reaction score
it's a quantum physics approach to contract negotiations. less can in fact be more.

John813

Reaction score
Smith got paid well for a guy who didn't make the PB or all pro team.

Not like he was the #1 lb in the league and took 5mil under per year the leader in pay

waldoputty

Reaction score
It does not circumvent the cap.

What NE and Brady is doing does.
He has a business that NE uses to funnel money into it.

This is not Jaylon's company. Jerry and the Cowboys partner with a business. And Jaylon represents them through advertisements.
It is no different than AT&T is the sponsor of the Cowboys and the stadium. Then some player may do a commercial if AT&T asks them to.

Now does Jerry say to the business, hey I want Jaylon to be your sponsor, who knows. But most likely that can't be proven.

Jaylon also doing a commercial with Reliant Energy.

very clever.
company b gives sponsorship to jaylon
cowboys makes deal with company b
all company b needs to do is sweeten the deal with jaylon
or the original deal was predicated on cowboys making the deal.

better yet, jaylon should be at the board room meeting when the deal is cut.