Cowboys Pet Cats for 2022: Offense & Defense

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Who are your Cowboys player "pet cats" (little-known players due to lack of NFL experience whom you feel has the potential to truly shine or surprise on the football field) on Offense & Defense for 2022?

Mine are rookies:

Offense: WR Jalen Tolbert
Defense: DE Sam Williams

What say you?

:starspin:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd like to think there's a chance for Alec Lindstrom to win a spot as a backup center, if not as a starter. Of course, he'll have plenty of competition, before it's likely to materialize. He's very adept at pass protection, which is a solid talent to his credit. Let's add McGovern and Farniok to the competition. Wow!

Biadasz should be somewhat improved this year in camp, making his return as a starter very possible. There's no shortage of competition for that center spot -- that's for sure. That, alone, should make TC really interesting. TC can't start soon enough, if you ask me! :D

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who are your Cowboys player "pet cats" (little-known players due to lack of NFL experience whom you feel has the potential to truly shine or surprise on the football field) on Offense & Defense for 2022?

Mine are rookies:

What say you?

A 2nd round pick as a pet cat? Arent pet cats guys not likely to have an impact?

In the spirit of a true pet cat I will go with Ridgeway and Ferguson.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
A 2nd round pick as a pet cat? Arent pet cats guys not likely to have an impact?

In the spirit of a true pet cat I will go with Ridgeway and Ferguson.
"“‘Pet cats’ is a Parcellsism; they were the prospects whom a coach or scout adored” was cited in print in March 2007. A “pet cat” could be any player, but is usually a little-known player—either a low draft choice or an undrafted free agent."

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/pet_cat_underrated_football_player

You're right but it could also refer to any "little-known" player. I see it as a lack of experience. It's rare to see any rookie start or shine his rookie year in the NFL. Look at Micah? Did anyone believe he would be so dominant his rookie year and end up a few votes shy of being voted as the NFL Defensive Player of the Year last season, much less be voted 1st Team All Pro? I say both Jalen Tolbert and Sam Williams are going to light it up as rookies for the Cowboys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
"“‘Pet cats’ is a Parcellsism; they were the prospects whom a coach or scout adored” was cited in print in March 2007. A “pet cat” could be any player, but is usually a little-known player—either a low draft choice or an undrafted free agent."

https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/pet_cat_underrated_football_player

You're right but it could also refer to any "little-known" player. I see it as a lack of experience. It's rare to see any rookie start or shine his rookie year in the NFL. Look at Micah? Did anyone believe he would be so dominant his rookie year and end up a few votes shy of being voted as the NFL Defensive Player of the Year last season, much less be voted 1st Team All Pro? I say both Jalen Tolbert and Sam Williams are going to light it up as rookies for the Cowboys.

Yah, there were several of us that knew how incredible Parsons was. I predicted he would win DPOY.

Williams is well known to be a pet cat. He is a 2nd round pick that will play a lot. Tolber pretty much has a starting gig wrapped up. How about going out on a limb a little?

I do like the Cox pick, but again he pretty much has a starting job wrapped up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ferguson on offense. Sam Williams has been my pet cat since before the draft when I couldn't figure out why no one was talking about him.

Good stuff. Ferguson should make the team, easily. Sam is one of my pet cats, too. He'll get popular in a hurry, with a sack or two! ;)

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yah, there were several of us that knew how incredible Parsons was. I predicted he would win DPOY.

Williams is well known to be a pet cat. He is a 2nd round pick that will play a lot. Tolber pretty much has a starting gig wrapped up. How about going out on a limb a little?

I do like the Cox pick, but again he pretty much has a starting job wrapped up.
Ok.

On Offense, I really like 4th round pick rookie TE Jake Ferguson. If Dalton Schultz holds out, I feel Ferguson is going to take Schultz's snaps and run with it.

On Defense, I feel 5th round pick rookie NT John Ridgeway is going to tear it up and earn some serious playing time and contribute for our Defense.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Ok.

On Offense, I really like 4th round pick rookie TE Jake Ferguson. If Dalton Schultz holds out, I feel Ferguson is going to take Schultz's snaps and run with it.

On Defense, I feel 5th round pick rookie NT John Ridgeway is going to tear it up and earn some serious playing time and contribute for our Defense.
Yeah. Ridgeway would be my second choice. I think he has the chance to make a huge difference in the defense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Mine are rookies:

What say you?

We need a lot of the draft choices to contribute this year in a meaningful way for this team to improve.
Hope it happens.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Mine are rookies:

What say you?

Every year in similar threads, I find it very difficult to narrow down the list.
  • High Expectations:
    • Tyler Smith: My favorite player in the draft months before the actual pick was made.
    • Sam Williams: 'He good'
  • Solid Contributor Expectations:
    • Jabril Cox
    • Dante Fowler
    • Kelvin Joseph
    • Matt Farniok (Can he push for the starting OC job?)
  • Players that might be competing against each other for a roster spot:
    • OT Josh Ball vs OT Waldo
    • WR TJ Vasher vs WR Semi F.
    • DT Bohanna vs DT Ridgeway
  • New veteran starters:
    • Malik Hooker or Donovan Wilson
    • Dorance Armstrong: He'll be the base downs DE opposite DLaw which means he'll likely start.
    • Steele: He has already started 27 of 32 games played, but now he is the intended starter.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will define "pet cat" in a different way! A young player that I want to see emerge as a major contributor.

Mine are not rookies:

Offense: TJ Vasher
Defense: Jabril Cox

Yes, to me a pet cat is a long shot, as in 5th round or below, as well as an UDFA. 4th round picks and above are most likely to make the team.

As of now I don't really have any at all. I look over the roster and no player stands out as of yet. So maybe someone emerges in TC for me.

But I can go along with Vasher since he was on NFI all last season as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Damone Clark. Could be awhile before he plays but I’m hoping he’s a stud. Great transition to send LVE out into the sunset.

Parsons, Cox, Clark. would be a hell of a LB group moving forward.

Thats why I am not so worried about this year. We need to develop these young players, stay competitive, and hit the ground running in 2023 after Zeke is off the salary cap and we have revamped the run game. Another year fixing the Oline.