Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bennett, Escobar, Gregory or keep Irving.

What would you rather do?

One could say...Lee and Jaylon.

But it does not make a difference what I think should happen.

It is what they think should happen.

And I don't think I am alone in feeling that they just do not trust Irving very much...I would go so far as to say I get the feeling they have a similar feeling to Irving as they did with Bennett. I think they think he is a knucklehead that will do something off the field to get himself in trouble.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

And I don't think I am alone in feeling that they just do not trust Irving very much...I would go so far as to say I get the feeling they have a similar feeling to Irving as they did with Bennett. I think they think he is a knucklehead that will do something off the field to get himself in trouble.

i bet Bennett is kicking himself over that one. Any Cowboy who wants to win has figured it out, get out of Dallas.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is nothing to stop a team with extra picks in the 2nd (Cleveland, New England, Jets, Buffalo) from floating one out there.

I'm not sure that getting picks 33 or 37 would be the worst thing in the world, especially if it meant not having to pay huge money like you'd likely have to for Irving. Now New England's pick at 63? That's the one you may have to worry about.

That said, I'm not sure Mr Nipple Ring is Belicheck's type.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I get that same vibe. They don't trust that they can invest big in him.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
losing Irvine will hurt the team because they wont do a much to replace him I think in dallas any more the money means more than winning does and I don't think the front office and the head coach really know what they are doing

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that same vibe. They don't trust that they can invest big in him.

Was it a week or two ago when someone posted that he posted a picture to instragram with two women in his bed and saying thanks to his wife for the present or some weird thing.

Not exactly something that makes a team feel good about a player with past issues of immature judgement.

Many teams have liked his potential...many teams do not trust his maturity or lack of it.

Reaction score
I think everyone pining for a 2nd round pick should remember that if we keep him, we get a year of his services for $2.9M, and then a comp pick if he leaves in 2019 and signs a big contract. Wont be a 2nd round pick, but maybe a 3rd or 4th. I'd rather keep him this year, let him play a full season, and one in which he's extremely motivated. Rather than the crapshoot of a 2nd round pick.

Reaction score
Was it a week or two ago when someone posted that he posted a picture to instragram with two women in his bed and saying thanks to his wife for the present or some weird thing.

Not exactly something that makes a team feel good about a player with past issues of immature judgement.

Many teams have liked his potential...many teams do not trust his maturity or lack of it.

Take your point. But Charles Haley was more immature. Yet Jimmy handled him. Garrett and co. have to learn how to get the best out of players with talent like Irving's.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Exactly. And it's nothing new. These are boneheaded decisions that have plagued him for years, going back to college, and why he's already missed out on millions of dollars by going undrafted.

And by all appearances, nothing has changed.

I'd be wary of backing up the money truck too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take your point. But Charles Haley was more immature. Yet Jimmy handled him. Garrett and co. have to learn how to get the best out of players with talent like Irving's.

Garrett doesn't "handle" issues with players outside of dress code violations.

Nexx

Reaction score
am I the only who noticed that when Irving was playing that we got shredded on running plays? i just think Irving is bad fit in our scheme. He would be a monster 3-4 end. as 1 tech hes great on passing down.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
You have to wonder if they actually hope someone bites so they can get the 2nd round pick. Part of me thinks they actually do hope that as it would fall in line with their build through the draft philosophy.

And we get a 2nd round pick for basically.... Nothing.
Or
If the deal is small match it.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
its obvious to me,they would rather have a 2nd rd draft pick than Irving.
Glad to see someone gets it. Fans value this guy more than anyone else does. I'm sure the Cowboys would be happy to have him back on another trial year to see if the guy can actually put together a decent year.

But the idea that anyone thinks we'll match any offer he gets is crazy. We could have put the first round tender on him for 4 million, but we didn't want to take the chance no one would pick him up and we'd be stuck with paying him 4 million. We will be happy to have him back at a reasonable price or to have a second 2nd round pick in the draft.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Charles Haley was a ProBowler who showed up to work every week. Irving is just another guy until he proves he isn't .

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And we get a 2nd round pick for basically.... Nothing.
Or
If the deal is small match it.

Always a possibility although I think it is fair to say an unlikely possibility at this point ( the matching the offer part).

Swanny

Reaction score
it is a power play but it comes with some cost........players have held out before and will hold out again

the Cowboys just played their hand and showed you what they think of you

They would risk losing you over 1.4m
I'm not about to miss out on my first mullti million dollar contract because my feelings are hurt

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Also, even if we get him back for this year because no one wanted to sacrifice a first round pick, then we're right back here next year with him possibly leaving as an unrestricted free agent. Better to get the second round pick for him now or have him ball out for the first time in his career and resign a proven player. No way we're giving him a multi-year contract at this point.

IrishAnto

Reaction score

Firstly what has Jaylon done yet to be considered a good 2nd round pick?
Secondly is he more of a knucklehead than others on the team?
I mean what has he done that our highly paid WR hasn’t done or our newly franchised DE for that matter?
I don’t see how this team will ever improve sufficiently if we keep letting players depart that have proven they can play over the promise of a draft pick.