Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
NO ONE IS TRADING A 2nd ROUND PICK FOR HIM!

Why not?

He's young, a freak athletically, and most important he produces on the field.

He's worth a first IMO. We'll never get that comp for him because of how teams hold onto their picks but in reality if you need a DT you would hope they turn out to be as good as Irving with that 1st round pick.

Carter

Reaction score
They tendered him hoping someone will. There is no other reason, unless they are even more cheap and inept than they already appear.

No one will trade a 2nd rounder for him. Hes only playing noticeable cause our Line is trash. On most Teams hes a Backup at best.

Jenky

Reaction score
Why not?

He's worth a first IMO. We'll never get that comp for him because of how teams hold onto their picks but in reality if you need a DT you would hope they turn out to be as good as Irving with that 1st round pick.

Only reason is because he "might" be a headcase. But the talent is clearly there.

Gaede

Reaction score
On one hand, I'd like an extra pick. And Irving isn't exactly reliable.

On the other hand, we're already down a starting safety and starting MLB. Losing a starter on the DL would create a hole at every level of the defense.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
So we might lose Irving because we don't even have enough cap space to put a 1st rd tender on him.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Nick Chubb and who else in the first two rounds this year as far as quality pass rushers? The kid from San Antonio maybe? A second is nothing for a 24 year old freak.
Landry, although he might be a better fit as an OLB.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
guess the frederick restructure is next. this pretty much eats all our cap room

John813

Reaction score
I keep this in mind when assuming that Irving will be signed:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/08/ronald-leary-draws-second-round-tender-from-cowboys/

I thought the same with Ron Leary. And, despite the fact that he eventually got big money in Denver, nobody made him an offer at just the second round level.

True, but DT are coveted more than left guards in terms of pay.
Especially when they put up the numbers that Irving did last year in his short stint.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it's the right move.
I HONESTLY think they're going after Suh

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Why not?

He also was suspended for PEDs and had a half season long concussion.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Fecking stupid only putting a 2nd rounder on him...we should be trying to keep Irving basically no matter what...he doesn't just play good himself, he makes others around him play better. Look at how much better Lawrence is with Irving on the field.
This is dumb.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We value our second rounds - ie Randy Gregory.

Teams would rather play the draft lottery then get the known commodity and pay a little money to them.

Pass rushing D Tackles that can also come off the edge are so rare that a 2nd round pick would be a no brainer to give up for Irving if you needed this kind of player but these NFL teams view their draft picks as gold and they will take the risk instead of the sure thing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:popcorn: ready, ready for another board meltdown either way. Or should I say the continued melt down. :laugh:

If he does not get an offer, the usual suspects will whine he sucks, because no one else wanted him, so Jerry is dumb to pay $2.91 mil....
If he signs elsewhere, they will whine why didn't they work out a 2 year deal at least. We lost a good player

If the offer is matched or not matched, comment will go opposite of what happens.

For me personally I prefer him to stay here, even if on the one year deal, then next year I still believe he is a RFA and not an ERFA. If he signs elsewhere, then he does, I won't like it so much, but can't do anything about it. And can't blame the FO for taking this approach until he shows a bit more consistency. But it is their own fault in a way they didn't use him enough to show it.