Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but DT are coveted more than left guards in terms of pay.
Especially when they put up the numbers that Irving did last year in his short stint.

Keep that "short stint" in mind.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
He also was suspended for PEDs and had a half season long concussion.

He's had one concussion as far as I know...not much else injury concern at all.
Guy is 24 years old....24.....if we allow a 24 year old FREAK to walk I am going to quit watching the this team.
He made an impact in every single game he played this past year and the final few games of 2016. He seems to have figured it out.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There is nothing to stop a team with extra picks in the 2nd (Cleveland, New England, Jets, Buffalo) from floating one out there.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
either way is win win for us. no down side to this unless we dont use the 2nd to move better in the first.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
:popcorn: ready, ready for another board meltdown either way. Or should I say the continued melt down. :laugh:

If he does not get an offer, the usual suspects will whine he sucks, because no one else wanted him, so Jerry is dumb to pay $2.91 mil....
If he signs elsewhere, they will whine why didn't they work out a 2 year deal at least. We lost a good player

If the offer is matched or not matched, comment will go opposite of what happens.

For me personally I prefer him to stay here, even if on the one year deal, then next year I still believe he is a RFA and not an ERFA. If he signs elsewhere, then he does, I won't like it so much, but can't do anything about it. And can't blame the FO for taking this approach until he shows a bit more consistency. But it is their own fault in a way they didn't use him enough to show it.

If he is signed I hope its by a team with a top 10 2nd rounder and we don't get a pick from the Patriots or someone like that on the back end.

IMO, Cleveland should be all over this.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only reason is because he "might" be a headcase. But the talent is clearly there.

Thank you for saying "might". When interviewed after games, he comes across fairly humble. Complete opposite of Scandrick.
Many fans won't give him that much credit.

Alexander

Reaction score
This is disconcerting.
It is kind of arrogant to tell you the truth.

They are risking one of their few quality defenders in an open market where teams simply are throwing caution to the wind.

And that 2nd rounder, who in this draft is a better interior rusher than Irving that is likely to even be available in the second round?

The factor here is to replace the player, they will absolutely have to devote a first or second round pick to the position to offset.

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
No one will trade a 2nd rounder for him. Hes only playing noticeable cause our Line is trash. On most Teams hes a Backup at best.

So is guess all the olines that he tore through are trash too? Football people would disagree with you.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
No one is going to give a second rounder for Irving, are you guys for real. Guy has issues and it is well known, as the team doesn't trust this guy.

Alexander

Reaction score
The downside is using a 2nd and completely botching it when you had a known commodity.
Correct.

But I am sure they have suddenly decided that his unreliability is a problem when they have tolerated it for years with other players on the roster.

Alexander

Reaction score
No one is going to give a second rounder for Irving, are you guys for real. Guy has issues and it is well known, as the team doesn't trust this guy.
So let's try to dissect this out.

He has issues, so nobody will want him. So why would we tender him at that level?

They are just playing a stupid game hoping someone bites.

Ken

Reaction score
No one will trade a 2nd rounder for him. Hes only playing noticeable cause our Line is trash. On most Teams hes a Backup at best.
You have no clue about the player or football, that much is obvious. Yes, he would be a backup with 7 sacks last year in 8 games...lol

Only thing holding Irving back is suspensions and his head injury last year. That is it.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He’s staying no one is giving up a second who’s one suspension away from half the season

Carter

Reaction score
You have no clue about the player or football, that much is obvious.

Only thing holding Irving back is suspensions and his head injury last year. That is it.

Hes a Suspension waiting to happen was injured often playing on a weak Line. Thats just the Facts.

Aven8

Reaction score
either way is win win for us. no down side to this unless we dont use the 2nd to move better in the first.

No down side except for losing out on 8 sacks in 7 games.......

Think about it this way, he's the same age as Calvin Ridley and he has 3 years experience.