Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
A known commodity which they have already decided will not get a big contract from them.

I don't think teams care that much.

Especially when you play a position like D Tackle or D End in a pinch and you can get to the QB.

David Irving has done nothing that is unforgivable. A little bit of a knucklehead but he's also still young.

What would worry me is if he was cleared in the concussion protocol and he refused to go back on the field.

The Cowboys would take a big PR hit even if their doctors had cleared him so we will probably never know but if he was fine and refused to play then I could understand them not wanting to pay him.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Dallas would be better if they got a 2 from someone especially a middle or higher 2.

This team needs to rebuild the lb and dl and all these picks would help.

Irving is really talented but is unreliable and there is no reason to think he will be reliable in the future. Also I can't see anyway they give him a huge contract next year so getting a 2 for him would be great.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There is nothing to stop a team with extra picks in the 2nd (Cleveland, New England, Jets, Buffalo) from floating one out there.

And if they do, you know that they also will give him a contract we're not willing to match ... so there goes our best interior pass rush unless we turn around and use our first-round pick on a player like Maurice Hurst and hope that they can give us what we lose. (Marcus Davenport has intriguing length, but would have to put on at least 20 pounds to play the position.)

Of course, doing that keeps us from filling another position of need with that first-round pick. If we had put a first-round tender on him, then we'd at least be able to draft his replacement and fill another position of need in the round.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Dallas would be better if they got a 2 from someone especially a middle or higher 2.

Irving is really talented but is unreliable and there is no reason to think he will be reliable in the future. Also I can't see anyway they give him a huge contract next year so getting a 2 for him would be great.
More than likely a team at the top of the round is not going to bite.

Middle, like the Jets at 49 is far more likely.

Ken

Reaction score
Hes a Suspension waiting to happen was injured often playing on a weak Line. Thats just the Facts.
Those "facts" don't change the fact that when he plays, he plays like an elite player...not a backup. And that "weak line" tied the Eagles for sacks last season. And had the defense ranked 8th.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I really hope someone takes him. Gives us an extra 2nd then we can package up and possibly move up in the first round and still have a 2nd round pick.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score

A high 2nd from the Colts and Hurst falling there would be prefect!

Alexander

Reaction score
And if they do, you know that they also will give him a contract we're not willing to match ... so there goes our best interior pass rush unless we turn around and use our first-round pick on a player like Maurice Hurst and hope that they can give us what we lose. (Marcus Davenport has intriguing length, but would have to put on at least 20 pounds to play the position.)

Of course, doing that keeps us from filling another position of need with that first-round pick. If we had put a first-round tender on him, then we'd at least be able to draft his replacement and fill another position of need in the round.
People seem to think the extra 2nd opens up the draft.

Actually it really doesn't. It constricts it. It makes it almost a top need unless they are really incompetent and think that they have a better 3-T on this roster.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
He's had one concussion as far as I know...not much else injury concern at all.
Guy is 24 years old....24.....if we allow a 24 year old FREAK to walk I am going to quit watching the this team.
He made an impact in every single game he played this past year and the final few games of 2016. He seems to have figured it out.
lol sure his play is great, but he definitely has character concerns, dude got kicked off the Iowa State team and he was careless with what was going into his body and got suspended, and the concussion problem.. You aren't going to be able to re-sign Irving/Lawrence & Martin and the Cowboys will be losing 1 or maybe even 2 of those guys, so if you can get a 2 for him now, why not????????

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Move up for who and what? Convince me.
Edmunds, Roquan Smith, Or James. We can use our first and second to move up to close to pick 10 i believe. Still have a second to use. I also believe Collins is a good 3t we have on the roster. Our staff screwed up last year moving him to 1t.

Aven8

Reaction score
People seem to think the extra 2nd opens up the draft.

Actually it really doesn't. It constricts it. It makes it almost a top need unless they are really incompetent and think that they have a better 3-T on this roster.

Only saving grace IMO would be to package that extra 2nd and go get Derwin James or Ro Smith. Then you still have your 2nd.

aikemirv

Reaction score
No one will trade a 2nd rounder for him. Hes only playing noticeable cause our Line is trash. On most Teams hes a Backup at best.

That is absolutely ridiculous. He is a force on the interior of the line. Just has some OTHER issues.

Alexander

Reaction score
Edmunds, Roquan Smith, Or James. We can use our first and second to move up to close to pick 10 i believe. Still have a second to use. I also believe Collins is a good 3t we have on the roster. Our staff screwed up last year moving him to 1t.
Collins should be a backup, not the centerpiece 3-T that the scheme demands.