Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

Sydla

Reaction score
Why not?

He's young, a freak athletically, and most important he produces on the field.

He's worth a first IMO. We'll never get that comp for him because of how teams hold onto their picks but in reality if you need a DT you would hope they turn out to be as good as Irving with that 1st round pick.

Because he's considered an odd dude with some off the field maturity issues who suffered such a severe concussion on a simple tackle that a month after the incident, he got into a car accident and didn't know where he was or how he even got into a car accident to begin with.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
People seem to think the extra 2nd opens up the draft.

Actually it really doesn't. It constricts it. It makes it almost a top need unless they are really incompetent and think that they have a better 3-T on this roster.

And it may be that they do think that Collins is just as capable as the starting 3-tech, but I don't think Collins is more than serviceable. For a defense that is built around that interior pressure, serviceable isn't good enough.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Edmunds, Roquan Smith, Or James. We can use our first and second to move up to close to pick 10 i believe. Still have a second to use. I also believe Collins is a good 3t we have on the roster. Our staff screwed up last year moving him to 1t.

Any time you go into a draft, you cannot depend on the trade possibilities materializing. It is not a sure thing.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Best case scenario is someone takes irving and we go out and sign Suh.
So, we sign Suh, pay him the same kind of insane money that people around here are calling the front office smart for not doing so far.

How much sense does that make?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Stupid on many levels. They must have a lot of faith in Collins being a star...

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
Unless there's something going on off the field you'd be an idiot to take a 2nd round pick for him.

It's hard to find guys that can get to the QB.

I bet you guys wouldn't take a 2 for Awuzie.

You have a sickness.
I think there's plenty there to be concerned with about David Irving, my friend...

If he signs a big deal as a restricted FA and it doesn't make sense for the Cowboys to match with Martin & Lawrence in limbo, then they need to take the 2nd round pick.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Any time you go into a draft, you cannot depend on the trade possibilities materializing. It is not a sure thing.
Agreed but leaves the possibility of making a trade. Worst case we have 2 2nd round picks. If we do lose him I go out and get Suh no matter what. And put collins back at 3t.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
D-Law - A little less than a sack a game. Gotta pay the man. 17.1 mil is a bargain. If he does it again, it jumps to 20 mil or a break the bank contract.

Irving - A little less than a sack a game. Meh, not worth the extra million to keep a team from poaching him.

Both has a suspension and D-Law has back problems.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Whether he is here this year or not remains to be seen but I think it’s pretty clear he is NOT in our long term plans.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there's plenty there to be concerned with about David Irving, my friend...

If he signs a big deal as a restricted FA and it doesn't make sense for the Cowboys to match with Martin & Lawrence in limbo, then they need to take the 2nd round pick.

You think there's plenty to be worried about?

What exactly? Give me details.

aikemirv

Reaction score

It seems to me that there is enough there to make it so he does not get a huge offer. I think someone mentioned this the other day. If he gets a lower offer because of the issues then Dallas gets the opportunity to match it and keep him for a whole lot lower deal than they would have to offer if he had a huge season. Then you have to make the choice you are making right now with Lawrence.

It could be a smart move!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I really hope someone takes him. Gives us an extra 2nd then we can package up and possibly move up in the first round and still have a 2nd round pick.

OK, we take the second and package it, what are we going to do at 3-tech?

If the choice is to stay with Collins as the starting 3-tech, then we are weaker at that position.

If the choice is to use the two picks for a replacement for Irving, then it's possible we could come out ahead as far as getting a better player, but we gained nothing overall because we had to use the picks to replace someone we already had on the roster instead of getting help at a position of need.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Because he's considered an odd dude with some off the field maturity issues who suffered such a severe concussion on a simple tackle that a month after the incident, he got into a car accident and didn't know where he was or how he even got into a car accident to begin with.

The concussion thing worries me a bit. I would like to know if he was cleared and refused to play or what the deal was there.

Other then that I could care less about all of the other stuff.

Let Dak be the face of the franchise. Surround him by guys that are good at football. I don't care how odd they are and I don't think other teams care much either.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't think teams care that much.

Especially when you play a position like D Tackle or D End in a pinch and you can get to the QB.

David Irving has done nothing that is unforgivable. A little bit of a knucklehead but he's also still young.

What would worry me is if he was cleared in the concussion protocol and he refused to go back on the field.

The Cowboys would take a big PR hit even if their doctors had cleared him so we will probably never know but if he was fine and refused to play then I could understand them not wanting to pay him.

I agree but he may have done enough for them to conclude that aren’t giving him a 5 year $65 million deal. If someone signs him to a reasonable 3 or 4 year deal, they may match. That might be what they are hoping for with a 2nd rounder a nice consolation prize for a guy you expect to lose next year anyway.