Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And remember, he was part of the group that wanted to kneel during the anthem. Can't have that kind of locker room cancer around.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It seems to me that there is enough there to make it so he does not get a huge offer. I think someone mentioned this the other day. If he gets a lower offer because of the issues then Dallas gets the opportunity to match it and keep him for a whole lot lower deal than they would have to offer if he had a huge season. Then you have to make the choice you are making right now with Lawrence.

It could be a smart move!

Have you seen the deals teams are throwing at players who accomplished less at their position than Irving did at his last year?

Alexander

Reaction score
I mean maybe there is something to worry about but why are we so quick to believe that with Irving while we are delusionally protective of other players?
Good question.

Don't expect an answer though.

Ken

Reaction score
I wonder if everyone who is calling him trash would change their tune if he played a full season next year and had 12-14 sacks?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
OK, we take the second and package it, what are we going to do at 3-tech?

If the choice is to stay with Collins as the starting 3-tech, then we are weaker at that position.

If the choice is to use the two picks for a replacement for Irving, then it's possible we could come out ahead as far as getting a better player, but we gained nothing overall because we had to use the picks to replace someone we already had on the roster instead of getting help at a position of need.
You go out in FA and actually get a starter at DT whether it's Suh or Poe and have collins at 3t where he almost won rookie of the year.

Alexander

Reaction score

Can't have this kind of guy around. Nipple rings. Tats. Raised fist at the anthem. Naked pictures.

Sydla

Reaction score
The concussion thing worries me a bit. I would like to know if he was cleared and refused to play or what the deal was there.

Other then that I could care less about all of the other stuff.

Let Dak be the face of the franchise. Surround him by guys that are good at football. I don't care how odd they are and I don't think other teams care much either.

Does it matter if he refused to play?

Roughly a month after having what was initially called a simple concussion, he essentially blacked out and got into a car accident. There's nothing normal about that.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
I mean maybe there is something to worry about but why are we so quick to believe that with Irving while we are delusionally protective of other players?
Sadly because Jerry feels like he's Dez's daddy... He took a chance and drafted him, hired a babysitter, paid him, and now wants it work out..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Does it matter if he refused to play?

Roughly a month after having what was initially called a simple concussion, he essentially blacked out and got into a car accident. There's nothing normal about that.

We need more details and yes it matters if he refused to play if cleared.

We were fighting for a playoff spot and needed to win out and if Irving was ok to play and didn't want to play just to be extra cautious then I would look to move him.

Alexander

Reaction score
I wonder if everyone who is calling him trash would change their tune if he played a full season next year and had 12-14 sacks?
What is funny is that he is unreliable and trash, nobody wants him, but if he is not signed by someone else, it is okay to pay him the $2.5M.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You go out in FA and actually get a starter at DT whether it's Suh or Poe and have collins at 3t where he almost won rookie of the year.

What gives you the idea that Dallas would do that? Have you seen the FA moves we've made the past few years?

Putting a second-round tender on Irving means Dallas is OK with the risk probably because they have Collins or because they feel they can replace him in the first round with someone like Hurst. If we lose him, the best we can probably hope for is the Joneses sign a cheap vet starter for 1-tech because Collins would be the projected starter at 3-tech.

If you're satisfied with Collins as a 3-tech, then this is a good move for you. If you're not, then this is not a good move.

Sydla

Reaction score
We need more details and yes it matters if he refused to play if cleared.

We were fighting for a playoff spot and needed to win out and if Irving was ok to play and didn't want to play just to be extra cautious then I would look to move him.

He was never cleared. Cowboys came out and said he was shut down for the season. If he was having severe concussion issues by mid-December, it seems unlikely he could have been cleared anyway.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Have you seen the deals teams are throwing at players who accomplished less at their position than Irving did at his last year?

8 games though, it has to hurt the value a bit. Cowboys may be taking this opportunity to get a lower deal while his value could be perceived down

What is a deal that you would make for him? If someone throws a 10 mil a year deal out there, I think that is a deal the Cowboys would consider. If it is 15 mill, then you let him walk and take the 2nd. If you are not willing to tag him next year, this is a smart move IMO.

kevm3

Reaction score
Irving will be signed away and Lawrence will go to another team next year when some team throws him obscene money. No wonder marinelli wants to retire.

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
Good move that I'm glad is finally done. Let someone else set his market if they want to. We can match, get a second rounder, or have the player for a prove it year. I call that win-win-win.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
What gives you the idea that Dallas would do that? Have you seen the FA moves we've made the past few years?

Putting a second-round tender on Irving means Dallas is OK with the risk probably because they have Collins or because they feel they can replace him in the first round with someone like Hurst. If we lose him, the best we can probably hope for is the Joneses sign a cheap vet starter for 1-tech because Collins would be the projected starter at 3-tech.

If you're satisfied with Collins as a 3-tech, then this is a good move for you. If you're not, then this is not a good move.
I think if they don't have plans to make a run at a starter in free agency the move is stupid.