Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

Carter

Reaction score
Irving will be signed away and Lawrence will go to another team next year when some team throws him obscene money. No wonder marinelli wants to retire.

We just signed Brian Price, have Gregory coming back from the pipe and Taco. Cowboys are set for glory and still havent released the beast Charles Tapper.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I mean maybe there is something to worry about but why are we so quick to believe that with Irving while we are delusionally protective of other players?

I think fans have generally come to accept that there has to be something wrong with Irving for us to give him a second-round tender or that a second-round pick is worth more than he is.

conner01

Reaction score
No one will trade a 2nd rounder for him. Hes only playing noticeable cause our Line is trash. On most Teams hes a Backup at best.
That’s so far from true
He’s the most talented player on the team
Having a bad Dline hurts a players production because he can be double teamed
Irving’s issues are not about talent
The talent is undeniable

Reactions: Ken

Carter

Reaction score
That’s so far from true
He’s the most talented player on the team
Having a bad Dline hurts a players production because he can be double teamed
Irving’s issues are not about talent
The talent is undeniable

So why was he let go from the Chiefs for nothing? Do you think he would start on the Eagles D-Line?

Irving has Talent, but hes a Suspension waiting to happen and often injured.

conner01

Reaction score
So let's try to dissect this out.

He has issues, so nobody will want him. So why would we tender him at that level?

They are just playing a stupid game hoping someone bites.
Or they are letting some team set the price
We have a right to match their offer and then the question is will a team make him a huge offer and give a second too

conner01

Reaction score
So why was he let go from the Chiefs for nothing? Do you think he would start on the Eagles D-Line?

He has issues but non of them is about talent

aikemirv

Reaction score
We have a right to match their offer and then the question is will a team make him a huge offer and give a second too

I hope they are trying to get a discount by doing it this way. If they are just not willing to pay him top dollar next year because of issues then it is a good move speeding up the process a year and possibly getting a second rounder.

His talent though is top level. Never simple decisions it seems......

Sydla

Reaction score
An interesting point here is that maybe the Cowboys want someone to come in and make an offer and set the market for him.

No team is going to come in here and offer Irving 5 years, $60MM, which some of the top DTs make.

So what if a team comes in and offers him say, 3 years, $21MM? The Cowboys might gladly match that and now have him under contract at a reasonable number for a few years instead of having to make a big decision next year.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Who didn't see that coming? 1'st round tender meant hands off my stash. Second round tender means go ahead, make an offer, we'll take your second round pick thank you very much, we'll match or he's here for $2.9 mill. Good move and expected

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think fans have generally come to accept that there has to be something wrong with Irving for us to give him a second-round tender or that a second-round pick is worth more than he is.
One thing it does it piss Irving off..... that is 1.4m out of his pocket

He won't forget this when it is time to negotiate

aikemirv

Reaction score
An interesting point here is that maybe the Cowboys want someone to come in and make an offer and set the market for him.

No team is going to come in here and offer Irving 5 years, $60MM, which some of the top DTs make.

So what if a team comes in and offers him say, 3 years, $21MM? The Cowboys might gladly match that and now have him under contract at a reasonable number for a few years instead of having to make a big decision next year.

Seeing Alexanders list there though, the reasonable number may be more like 12-13 versus 15-17

HanD

Reaction score

to be fair when we signed him from their practice squad, kc did try to bring him up to their 53 but he decided to go to dallas instead if my memory serves me.....they thought they could stash him and dallas picked him up at the end of the year.

Sydla

Reaction score

Didn't see your post when I said the same thing.

When you think about it, it is actually fairly smart.

But is Jerry smart enough to come up with that on his own?