Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
An interesting point here is that maybe the Cowboys want someone to come in and make an offer and set the market for him.

No team is going to come in here and offer Irving 5 years, $60MM, which some of the top DTs make.

So what if a team comes in and offers him say, 3 years, $21MM? The Cowboys might gladly match that and now have him under contract at a reasonable number for a few years instead of having to make a big decision next year.
I am pretty sure Irving has to agree to the Offer Sheet

Good plan though

aikemirv

Reaction score
One thing it does it piss Irving off..... that is 1.4m out of his pocket

He won't forget this when it is time to negotiate

I don't think so. This is a huge opportunity for Irving THIS year. You are never guaranteed another year in the NFL. Huge current upside for Irving!

Carter

Reaction score
Suh is a headcase that plays though.

Suh has missed 2 Games in 9 years. Hes not a PED or Drug Suspension waiting to happen. He Plays tough and dirty. Exactly what i like. As far as i know he stopped stomping People since joining the Dolphins too.

conner01

Reaction score
Just Talent doesnt net you a Monster contract and offers. Randy Gregory has Talent too. Probably more than Irving.
Gregory is not in the same league. A DT who puts up numbers like he has is as rare as you winning the lottery
If he plays 16 games this year, issues aside he will the highest contract of any DT in the nfl
Whether or not a team will trade for him is a different thing because it involves a second and a big contract that we can match

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Suh has missed 2 Games in 9 years. Hes not a PED or Drug Suspension waiting to happen. He Plays tough and dirty. Exactly what i like. As far as i know he stopped stomping People since joining the Dolphins too.

Ask Ryan Mallett about getting choked though.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am pretty sure Irving has to agree to the Offer Sheet

Good plan though

Absolutely but if that's the strategy, there is no downside here for the Cowboys unless a team goes completely bonkers and tries to make Irving one of the top paid DTs in football.

If Irving rejects any offer, Cowboys still have him at roughly $3MM. If Irving takes an offer, the Cowboys can match and if it's a decent deal, they may be fine with that because it then locks up Irving for a lower cost than if he blows up next year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think if they don't have plans to make a run at a starter in free agency the move is stupid.

I can almost guarantee you that they don't. Collins was the starting 3-tech before Irving returned and we "had" to move Collins to 1-tech because of Paea's retirement and because Irving isn't built to play 1-tech. The Cowboys entered 2017 believing they had found their 3-tech in Collins, so why should we expect that mind-set to change?

My belief is that this is the primary reason they gave Irving a second-round tender. They see him as a luxury because of Collins. They also see 1-tech as practically a throw-away position, so they are not going to spend big money for a starter there.

So if some team snatches up Irving for a second-round pick, the starting DL is either Crawford/Charlton, Collins, cheap vet, Lawrence or Crawford/Charlton, rookie, Collins/cheap vet, Lawrence. I much prefer, Crawford/Charlton, Irving, Collins/cheap vet, Lawrence to that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Absolutely but if that's the strategy, there is no downside here for the Cowboys unless a team goes completely bonkers and tries to make Irving one of the top paid DTs in football.

If Irving rejects any offer, Cowboys still have him at roughly $3MM. If Irving takes an offer, the Cowboys can match and if it's a decent deal, they may be fine with that because it then locks up Irving for a lower cost than if he blows up next year.
I think it creates ill will on the Cowboys though

"You don't want me and you took 1.4m from me "

conner01

Reaction score
Didn't see your post when I said the same thing.

When you think about it, it is actually fairly smart.

But is Jerry smart enough to come up with that on his own?
Someone mentioned this a few weeks ago, I think xwalker but it is a smart move

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think it creates ill will on the Cowboys though

"You don't want me and you took 1.4m from me "
It's a business who cares about feelings. Jerry cares too much about players' feelings. That's why we haven't won anything in 20 years.

Carter

Reaction score
I can almost guarantee you that they don't. Collins was the starting 3-tech before Irving returned and we "had" to move Collins to 1-tech because of Paea's retirement and because Irving isn't built to play 1-tech. The Cowboys entered 2017 believing they had found their 3-tech in Collins, so why should we expect that mind-set to change?

My belief is that this is the primary reason they gave Irving a second-round tender. They see him as a luxury because of Collins. They also see 1-tech as practically a throw-away position, so they are not going to spend big money for a starter there.

So if some team snatches up Irving for a second-round pick, the starting DL is either Crawford/Charlton, Collins, cheap vet, Lawrence or Crawford/Charlton, rookie, Collins/cheap vet, Lawrence. I much prefer, Crawford/Charlton, Irving, Collins/cheap vet, Lawrence to that.

i agree but i much prefer another starting caliber 1 Tech instead of cheap vet.

gimmesix

Reaction score
One thing it does it piss Irving off..... that is 1.4m out of his pocket

He won't forget this when it is time to negotiate

That part I'm not worried about. If he isn't signed to an offer sheet that we can't match, then we can see how he plays and behaves this year and franchise him if necessary next year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's a business who cares about feelings. Jerry cares too much about players' feelings. That's why we haven't won anything in 20 years.
There are negotiations ahead .... that is why you care......... I guarantee you Irving was pissed this morning at the FO

gimmesix

Reaction score
i agree but i much prefer another starting caliber 1 Tech instead of cheap vet.

I'm pretty sure everyone here prefers that, but the Cowboys have made it pretty clear that they don't value 1-tech. Best we could hope IMO is that Dallas would spend a second-round pick on the position, but even that might be too much to ask.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
So let's try to dissect this out.

He has issues, so nobody will want him. So why would we tender him at that level?

They are just playing a stupid game hoping someone bites.

Hopefully someone does bite, but I am not overly optimistic at this point.