Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
One thing it does it piss Irving off..... that is 1.4m out of his pocket

He won't forget this when it is time to negotiate

Another thing: Irving should know with the second-round tender that there's a greater possibility some team will throw good money at him to pry him away from Dallas. So he could end up making $8-$20 million a year instead of the almost $5 million that he would have gotten with a first-round pick.

If I'm him, I'm celebrating the decision.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Interesting point brought up here.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/201...wboys-rfa-david-irving-even-with-no-2nd-pick/

A team would not necessarily lose a 2nd round pick in 2018 if this is correct.
That article is wrong. The cutoff for another team making an offer to a RFA is April 20th. After April 20th, the player can only negotiate with the team they most recently played for. Since the cutoof date is April 20th and the Cowboys would have 5 days to match then we would know by April 25th whether the Cowboys would be matching or not. Since the draft does not start until April 26th the team making an offer must have a 2nd round pick in 2018.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
If i am another team, assuming the financials work out, I am trading a 2nd round pick for David Irving without hesitation.

RamziD

Reaction score
It may have already been addressed, but which pick does a team give up if they have multiple 2nd round picks?

DHCBF66

Reaction score
C'mon Brownies. You have a couple extra picks laying around. That high 2nd would look good in our pocket. More fire power to trade up for Vea....:thumbup:

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Unless there's something going on off the field you'd be an idiot to take a 2nd round pick for him.

It's hard to find guys that can get to the QB.

I bet you guys wouldn't take a 2 for Awuzie.

You have a sickness.
And if you are not using your money in free agency, why not pay the extra money towards Irving with a 1st round tender to make sure he's on this team next year. I don't get it.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
It may have already been addressed, but which pick does a team give up if they have multiple 2nd round picks?
They have to give up their pick, cant be a lower pick that they got from another team unless the Cowboys agree to it.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
C'mon Brownies. You have a couple extra picks laying around. That high 2nd would look good in our pocket. More fire power to trade up for Vea....:thumbup:
Or just trade up with all the picks that you have and have Lawrence, Irving and Vea on this line for the next 5 years.

reddyuta

Reaction score
And if you are not using your money in free agency, why not pay the extra money towards Irving with a 1st round tender to make sure he's on this team next year. I don't get it.
its obvious to me,they would rather have a 2nd rd draft pick than Irving.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Because next year, if Irving has a stellar year, his price goes up and since we cant tender him again it will be pay him or let him walk. We are trying to get something for him now.

Swanny

Reaction score
If he is my client I advise him to not sign the tender and hold out until Week 10

Get my 6 weeks in for a year's service time and then move on in 2019
That would be silly. You would tell your client to take no paycheck until week 10? A guy who hasn't had a big contract yet? Easy to say but when he has no income from now until week 10 things will be tough financially for a guy like him. If I were his agent i would try to find a new team to sign a deal with. If the Cowboys match the offer good for my client he just got top dollar for his services if the Cowboys don't match good for my client he just got top dollar for his services.
You guys think of this stuff from a fans perspective. Ask yourself could you go with no paycheck for 6 months? You could things but it would be tough. But then ask yourself this. Would you take 1 million dollars or 6 months of no pay check. Or better yet sign a new contract with a new employer for millions or sit for 6 months with no pay check.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So why was he let go from the Chiefs for nothing? Do you think he would start on the Eagles D-Line?

Irving has Talent, but hes a Suspension waiting to happen and often injured.

He has been suspended once and doesn’t really have much of an injury history.

So your claims are without merit. To be honest.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That would be silly. You would tell your client to take no paycheck until week 10? A guy who hasn't had a big contract yet? Easy to say but when he has no income from now until week 10 things will be tough financially for a guy like him. If I were his agent i would try to find a new team to sign a deal with. If the Cowboys match the offer good for my client he just got top dollar for his services if the Cowboys don't match good for my client he just got top dollar for his services.
You guys think of this stuff from a fans perspective. Ask yourself could you go with no paycheck for 6 months? You could things but it would be tough. But then ask yourself this. Would you take 1 million dollars or 6 months of no pay check. Or better yet sign a new contract with a new employer for millions or sit for 6 months with no pay check.
it is a power play but it comes with some cost........players have held out before and will hold out again

the Cowboys just played their hand and showed you what they think of you

They would risk losing you over 1.4m

superonyx

Reaction score
We're taking a calculated risk only placing a 2nd round tender on him. I guess they would be fine
either way with him staying at the lower price or having another 2nd round pick to draft. If they really
wanted him for several years they would have extended him some years like Price.
That’s assuming he would be willing to extend for cheap.
If I am Irving I wouldn’t sign some low ball extensions.. not with the free agent money teams throw around.
I’d be more than willing to bet on myself and get big bucks in a year.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
You have to wonder if they actually hope someone bites so they can get the 2nd round pick. Part of me thinks they actually do hope that as it would fall in line with their build through the draft philosophy.
Bennett, Escobar, Gregory or keep Irving.

What would you rather do?