News: Cowboys placed exclusive franchise tag on Prescott

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You haven't even shown a tweet. I'm just saying show anything.

Well, I mean, I don't know what that would help really. I guess maybe I'm not making myself clear. Nobody knows what the real deal is. No real facts or details have been provided by an source connected with the team. At this point, nobody knows the real deal.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I don't know how the new CBA is going to affect anything, but based on the existing rules, IMO this was the right call by the front office. Especially with a new head coach.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's basically the same four year extension Wentz and Goff got. The Cowboys were lowballing while those teams paid and got the deals done. People keep saying Dak was never going to sign, but the Cowboys never put a competitive offer on the table.

Dak said he wasn't signing anything. Those teams had longer deals and more money to work with. Come on, at some point you have to look at the facts and realize that the Cowboys did not have the numbers to create the way both the Rams and the Eagles did. You can not deny that the team has been trying to get an extension in place since 2018.

It's really not the same extension but lets say it is. I mean, this whole time, hasn't that been the case that everybody has been calling for? He needs to be paid in line with what Goff and Wentz got? Or is it that he needs to be paid more then what they got? Is that it? If so, why? Based on what?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Dak said he wasn't signing anything. Those teams had longer deals and more money to work with. Come on, at some point you have to look at the facts and realize that the Cowboys did not have the numbers to create the way both the Rams and the Eagles did. You can not deny that the team has been trying to get an extension in place since 2018.
They have been "trying" but they didn't put out a competitive offer. Cowboys had the cap space to offer the same deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They have been "trying" but they didn't put out a competitive offer. Cowboys had the cap space to offer the same deal.

Why? So you would have paid Dak that deal knowing that he would be back at the table in 2021/22 asking for more then what Mahomes signs for? Is that what you are saying you would have done and that you think that's a good plan?

BTW, I don't agree that the Cowboys had the cap to pay Dak that deal. In fact, I know they didn't.

Last edited:

johneric8

Reaction score
It's puzzling how this thread is 19 pages long and growing to discuss money paid to Dak for playing football for the Dallas Cowboys. Wait, I'm contributing to it as well, oh well, here is all I have to say.

Dak is a Great Quarterback, an even better person, a great leader and tough as nails, so needless to say I love that he was and STILL our Quarterback and I'm not bothered by a tag or anything else I can't control.

basel90

Reaction score
Epic Fail

The Joneses are botching this so bad. Cooper walking is going to be the iceing on the cake.
why do you say that . Dak was offered more than he is worth and refused.
amari is not worth more than 14 mil . he wants 18 plus .
enough of money on overrated players and lets build the defense and find deals in the draft and FA

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Why? So you would have paid Dak that deal knowing that he would be back at the table in 2021/22 asking for more then what Mahomes signs for? Is that what you are saying you would have done and that you think that's a good plan?

I would prefer to give him seven years at $38 - $40 million a year. You pay more up front but you have him locked in while other qbs are signing for $50-$60 million. If he wouldn't take then offer the deal Wentz and Goff got as a backup.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I would prefer to give him seven years at $38 - $40 million. You pay more up front but you have him locked in while other qbs are signing for $50-$60 million. If he wouldn't take then offer the deal Wentz and Goff got as a backup.

I'm sure you do but what proof is there that they would take it? I mean, you say that they are going to make 50 or 60, then why in the world would Dak sign for 38 of 40 for 7 years?

Adreme

Reaction score
I would prefer to give him seven years at $38 - $40 million a year. You pay more up front but you have him locked in while other qbs are signing for $50-$60 million. If he wouldn't take then offer the deal Wentz and Goff got as a backup.

He is not taking that deal with the cap exploding. Over the next 2 years he is going to get 32.6 and then either 38 or 41 million due to the tag so why would he settle for anything under the average of that annually especially when he knows in 2 years he will get 45 million without breaking a sweat because of cap boosts.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I'm sure you do but what proof is there that they would take it? I mean, you say that they are going to make 50 or 60, then why in the world would Dak sign for 38 of 40 for 7 years?

That is just my estimation of what it would take to get a deal done. The Cowboys haven't even approached that point yet, so I think it incorrect to say Dak is being unreasonable.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
I like dak and I am a big fan..........with that being said, if his or (his agent's) actions are going to cost us losing cooper then , screw this guy. They really have no interest in helping/ building the team. Let him walk. Give up the resources and draft a Tua or something! Give McCarthy a fresh QB to groom.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Theres no way Jerry is thinking this way....if anything he is probably hurt because he thought he and #4 were friends ( because that's hah it wurks wit dah Cahbaughs)....but

I've seen several mocks where Herbert and Love are available at 17.

Without having to sign his randomly available security blanket, and this OL, and THIS running game, maybe take all those cap dollars and build a defense.

Prescott can show up in week 10 and ride the bench, and see where that leaves him.

He is seriously flirting with falling out of fan favor, and I predict it gets there before this is settled.
Flirting with it? I’d say most of the fan base has had it with these negotiations and has probably already turned against Dak.