News: Cowboys placed exclusive franchise tag on Prescott

Adreme

Reaction score
Skip said Dak was offered 33 at the beginning of last season.

And this exact situation shows why he did not take it. Right now he is going to get 33 for this year and around 38.5-41 next year, depending on how they calculate the 20%, so why would he sign a longer deal that gives him less than what he would have gotten over the next 2 years?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And this exact situation shows why he did not take it. Right now he is going to get 33 for this year and around 38.5-41 next year, depending on how they calculate the 20%, so why would he sign a longer deal that gives him less than what he would have gotten over the next 2 years?

Yeah, I thought the floor for Dak to sign this year was 35. There's no reason for him to rush. Let the market climb.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can they rescind the tag and then give him a non exclusive. I dont know I am going to do without all the tag and trade speculation!

Im hoping people still speculate, even though its not possible anymore

ESisback

Reaction score
Save the advice. All of it. Express your opinions and let other people express theirs, whether you agree with them or not.

So you’re asking me not to disagree with others? Do you promise the same?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you’re asking me not to disagree with others? Do you promise the same?

No, I encourage disagreement. But not those offbase, sweeping generlizations about people and positions that don't exist.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Muh feelz! "

You don't make your best offer initially. Getting all butthurt over negotiating is silly.

Tell that to Dak and his agent then. I guess they should have just jumped at whatever they were offered, because.... Cowboys.

But if I were in their shoes and offered $25 million after Wentz got $32, I'd take it personally too. Especially after having played four years for nothing.

But you go ahead and trumpet the obvious negotiating prowess of the Joneses that brought us to today.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Everything you said makes sense.....unless he doesn’t sign and holds out
Well I could be wrong, but I think he wants the tag money, and to play this season, and prove something.
So for that he needs to be in all the camps, at least TC.
I dont think they wanted any contract the jones boys would offer at this point.
So I think he has to sign if he wants to be involved with the team and coaches. If he is going to play he needs to be ready since
it could be relatively new offense to learn.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Tell that to Dak and his agent then. I guess they should have just jumped at whatever they were offered, because.... Cowboys.

But if I were in their shoes and offered $25 million after Wentz got $32, I'd take it personally too. Especially after having played four years for nothing.

But you go ahead and trumpet the obvious negotiating prowess of the Joneses that brought us to today.

You think Dak isn't signing a contract not because of numbers, but because his feelings were hurt? If so, good. I'm against signing hyperemotional players who let their feelings get in the way of business.

But I don't think it's true. Dak is not such a delicate daisy. I think it's numbers. Dak wants more than they're offering. Hence, impasse. It takes both sides to come to a deal.

The only guaranteed way for Jerry to get beyond the impasse is to totally cave to what Dak wants. If you want to blame Jerry, how high an offer do you want him to make? 38mil? 40mil? 50mil?

Flamma

Reaction score

There was really no reason for the exclusive tag. They have him at 31.5M for this year. Might as well have given him the contract if they were going to do that. I think Jerry is more worried about his finances than he is on how it affects the cap.

ESisback

Reaction score
No, I encourage disagreement. But not those offbase, sweeping generlizations about people and positions that don't exist.

“Positions that don’t exist”? “Offbase sweeping generalizations?” My original contention was that the Cowboys are heavily criticized for every decision they make. You dispute that? Seriously?

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Needs to be traded or signed this offseason otherwise the tag is pointless.