Cowboys Player's Agents

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After DLaw signed his contract, his agent did multiple interviews.
- This included all of the local Dallas area Sports Talk Radio stations.

He was more open with his comments than most agents I've heard interviewed in the past.

He said he wanted to keep DLaw away from his teammates until the deal was complete.
- He was really worried about the start of OTAs and all players being in town.
- He said DLaw's resolve would get weaker if exposed to teammates.

Zeke's agent has convinced him to stay in Cabo.
- That keeps him away from teammates.
- Zeke came back to Dallas and then went back to Cabo if I understand it correctly.
- Was the return really planned or did his agent just convince him to return???

FYI
My understanding is that Zeke's agent owns the place in Cabo.

The same agent owned a place in Charlotte for Panthers players to use as a shag-shack.
- Rae Carruth was his client back then.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After DLaw signed his contract, his agent did multiple interviews.
- This included all of the local Dallas area Sports Talk Radio stations.

He was more open with his comments than most agents I've heard interviewed in the past.

He said he wanted to keep DLaw away from his teammates until the deal was complete.
- He was really worried about the start of OTAs and all players being in town.
- He said DLaw's resolve would get weaker if exposed to teammates.

Zeke's agent has convinced him to stay in Cabo.
- That keeps him away from teammates.
- Zeke came back to Dallas and then went back to Cabo if I understand it correctly.
- Was the return really planned or did his agent just convince him to return???

FYI
My understanding is that Zeke's agent owns the place in Cabo.

The same agent owned a place in Charlotte for Panthers players to use as a shag-shack.
- Rae Carruth was his client back then.

Does taking players away seem just a bit underhanded to anyone else?

I mean, exactly who works for who here?
:huh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Zeke came to DFW to meet with Jerry to get a deal worked out. Until Jerry's comments. Then went back to Cabo as a gesture of the middle finger kind.
:laugh:

HanD

Reaction score

the agents are just trying to do their job and maximize the contract by whatever means. the player needs to see what is actually in his best interest and make his own decisions. that might at times mean telling your agent that you aren't going to do what he or she says. the player is responsible in the end imo.

Reaction score

It's a negotiating strategy. Players of course can overrule their agents at any time. But agents can be very persuasive when talking to their clients. Talking is a big part of their job.

It would be a pretty simple matter for an agent to convince a guy like Zeke to hold out. We all know he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer off the field.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I think Zeke came to DFW to meet with Jerry to get a deal worked out. Until Jerry's comments. Then went back to Cabo as a gesture of the middle finger kind.

you are wrong,there have been no progress in negotiations for a while now.

HanD

Reaction score

definitely possible. a bit thin skinned imo if true. jerry's comments with the press made it seem like he was fed up and felt like zeke didn't appreciate him. he looked serious making those statements.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Could be looked at in several ways.
An underhanded ploy, could be part of it. Like, hey he will not be around you until you talk his type of numbers. Kind of like Tank delaying his surgery. Which I though was underhanded.

Or another way, his agent and Zeke knew it would be a media circus if he stayed in the area. Some idiot would try to provoke Zeke into some fight or altercation. So to avoid such a circus and the media following him around, and TMZ. it was best to get him to a place where they can't get to him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you are wrong,there have been no progress in negotiations for a while now.

It is not about being right or wrong. And we have no idea about anything with the negotiations. They are not going to play this out in the media.
And I was not being all that serious. Maybe 5% series if that.

HanD

Reaction score
Could be looked at in several ways.
An underhanded ploy, could be part of it. Like, hey he will not be around you until you talk his type of numbers. Kind of like Tank delaying his surgery. Which I though was underhanded.

i really didn't like the surgery thing but players use what leverage they can find. it was all forgotten and forgiven as i expect will be with zeke if a contract gets done.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not at all, any good lawyer will tell you keeping your client from screwing himself is the first order of business.

Look at the age and inexperience of these players. They only make this type of decision a couple of times in their lifetime and the rookie deal is a take it or leave it.

Think about how this was before agents and players had to deal with the owner's lawyer. Word was players really had a strong dislike for Schramm.

The agent plays the bad guy and takes the heat because they try their best not to make the player look bad. We don't know who's idea the holdout was but most here are blaming the agent.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i really didn't like the surgery thing but players use what leverage they can find. it was all forgotten and forgiven as i expect will be with zeke if a contract gets done.

Yep they will all be laughing and giving compliments. Jerry will probably say something like, Zeke who, Zeke our RB, the best in the NFL, that is who, but in his JWB own way. :laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not about being right or wrong. And we have no idea about anything with the negotiations. They are not going to play this out in the media.
And I was not being all that serious. Maybe 5% series if that.
Bold, completely disagree, the Joneses have been using the media, just as Booger did in that pc. That is the major problem here, they can't keep their thoughts to themselves or their mouths shut. We hadn't heard a peep out of Elliott's camp until that "Zeke who" remark. Now there's been a terse response from Booger in the pc and we've yet to hear the response from Elliott, who has been smart speaking through his agent.

None of this, not one iota, needs to be in the media. That's the problem not having a smart GM to buffer the loudmouthed owner. What was supposed to be all about business has become personal for both sides.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bold, completely disagree, the Joneses have been using the media, just as Booger did in that pc. That is the major problem here, they can't keep their thoughts to themselves or their mouths shut. We hadn't heard a peep out of Elliott's camp until that "Zeke who" remark. Now there's been a terse response from Booger in the pc and we've yet to hear the response from Elliott, who has been smart speaking through his agent.

None of this, not one iota, needs to be in the media. That's the problem not having a smart GM to buffer the loudmouthed owner. What was supposed to be all about business has become personal for both sides.

On the other hand, the media ran with their comments and blown them up more than what they are.

Sydla

Reaction score

I'll be honest.

If Elliott came back to meet with Jerry to hammer out the deal and then flipped around and went back to Cabo because of Jerry's joke, Elliott is a bigger schmuck than I imagined.

Sydla

Reaction score

It got personal when Elliott and his agent tried to play this disrespect card over what anyone who has half a brain knows was a joke.

The Cowboys were actually pretty fair in how they had dealt and talked about the Elliott situation all camp. It wasn't until Elliott and his agent tried to shift PR in their favor by saying Jerry was disrespectful that you saw some emotion come from the Cowboys side.

Jerry has every right to get pissed now after what those two schmucks said. Jerry has backed this guy through all his issues, was rumored to have helped him get out of a jam when he crashed his car before a practice last year, etc. Said player now wants to sit out when he has two years left on a deal and then wants to call his owner disrespectful because of what was a funny (and honestly predictable) joke?

I think Jerry can be a total buffoon and have ripped him incessantly for poor decisions (most notably, keeping Garrett around). But I'll call a spade a spade here and Jerry did nothing wrong in how this negotiation went down and it was the Elliott camp who made this personal when they called Jones disrespectful.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the agents are just trying to do their job and maximize the contract by whatever means. the player needs to see what is actually in his best interest and make his own decisions. that might at times mean telling your agent that you aren't going to do what he or she says. the player is responsible in the end imo.

I agree on all counts. And the player should also know that simply asking for the most money isn't the end-all, be-all of the negotiating process, but one, albeit large factor.

I know what the agents sole goal is, and the players should too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at all, any good lawyer will tell you keeping your client from screwing himself is the first order of business.

Look at the age and inexperience of these players. They only make this type of decision a couple of times in their lifetime and the rookie deal is a take it or leave it.

Think about how this was before agents and players had to deal with the owner's lawyer. Word was players really had a strong dislike for Schramm.

The agent plays the bad guy and takes the heat because they try their best not to make the player look bad. We don't know who's idea the holdout was but most here are blaming the agent.

Again, those who know how it works realize that the agent works for the player, nit the other way around. Zeke isn't being held hostage.

I think the agent is an idiot, but that also reflects on the person who hired and continues to employ him too.