Cowboys' Randy Gregory says he's a 'whole different person'

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's boom or bust but i'd bet on boom.

I like the talent all over our defense right now. Safety talent is a weakness but we will get solid play at worst from those guys.

Seldom seen so much uncertainty on a Cowboys team, even in lean years like 88-90 we had players like the triplets, Ware, etc. that we knew were ensconced as solid starters..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Seldom seen so much uncertainty on a Cowboys team, even in lean years like 88-90 we had players like the triplets, Ware, etc. that we knew were ensconced as solid starters..

I think the pass game will struggle bigtime this year unless a Miles Austin type comes out of nowhere and saves the day.

I don't buy this coaching staff finally scheming guys open. They believe in their middle school brand of football and they will not go away from it.

If no one steps up I think the only other way for our season to be good is if the defense steps up and I think there is a chance that this unit can play at a high level.

I like the DL, I like the Linebackers, I like the Corners, and the safeties are good enough.

The key IMO is Vander Esch and how quickly he can start patrolling the middle of the defense on pass downs.

Linebackers in coverage has been our biggest weakness and he should help fill that hole.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
From a business standpoint it's low risk, high reward. He's still on a rookie deal and we'd have gained little by cutting him loose. Also, if he gets well, you want him to get well while with us so we're in the driver's seat when it comes time for him to get a new contract if he can actually contribute. If he were not a 1st round talent we're still trying to get something out of, he'd probably have been gone a while ago. We can call Jerry emotional, etc. but he knows how to suspend emotion for business sake, which is all but required to be successful. Don't be fooled. This situation is mostly business.

after the 2nd suspension I would have cut him. One to send a message to my team that this organization is not going to tolerate this and 2nd his action did hurt the team as we have to draft yet another DE because he can't play. When his action force the team to address the same position instead of addressing other areas then his action did have a negative impact. As you said it is business, I'm not worried about Gregory small contact

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
I have also gone through substance abuse issues in the past but this is pot we're freaking talking about here...P O T. Not heroin, not crack, not meth, not prescription drugs, we're talking about pot here...someone not being able to stop smoking pot to save his career is just asinine. I would feel totally different if it was say...prescription opiods or something. I have no sympathy for him from the "drug addict" angle...if you stop smoking pot you're not going to get sick and have your skin crawl for a week or two while you puke and **** on yourself because your body is physically dependent on it.
It's just like he said...he just wanted to party and get women once he got caught and screwed up his life being an "addict" was his excuse in my opinion. Good for him though I hope he contributes.

Sorry man, and I mean absolutely no disrespect towards you or your post, but you obviously don't have all of the facts. Yes, he loved to party, wanted the 'high roller' lifestyle and thought that he was cool and fit in while smoking. These are the cool things to blame and reveal to the public. However, his main reason for not wanting to quit was due to his mental state of mind and the depression that flooded it. Since he was a child, he was diagnosed with serious depression and other 'mental' issues all resulting in being put on every medication under the sun. He was numb to emotions and walked around feeling like a zombie most of his life. It wasn't until he tried pot that he was able to ditch the manufactured drugs allowing him to feel 'normal' again. Once you start to feel 'normal', it has to be extremely hard to want to give that back up. Hence why he did what he did. I have a handful of close friends that were either, or still are, associated in some way w/ the Nebraska football program so I know a little more as to what his 'real' problem was. I've gotten lucky enough to meet RG on a few occasions and he's definitely someone that is easy to cheer for.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
He has proof backing up what he has stated. Two years of compliance, with no problems. The only thing left for him to do is ignore us "perfect" fans , and get acclimated to pads, hitting, and game speed.
Preach, brudda. Preach it.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm cheering for Gregory as well but he looked like our best defender? What?
Yeah, I'm president of the RGregory fan club, but I wont begin to say he will out-produce Tank. Maybe ever, does he reach Tank's numbers.

He has the talent to do so, but that is a hell of a lofty expectation with Tank being an emerging, certified STUD, with nasty numbers coming off last season.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The key IMO is Vander Esch and how quickly he can start patrolling the middle of the defense on pass downs.

Linebackers in coverage has been our biggest weakness and he should help fill that hole.

Indeed. I made a post in the "most impactful rookie" thread and my post was about Esch. We need him to be good for us to have a real shot, more so than Williams. It isn't close.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Also stopping some of the runs up the middle, we had 235 lb Hitchens at Mike, that's not a lot of beef, Vander Esch goes 256...

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
My little brother inherited some mental health issues from his dad. We have different fathers. They weren't crippling, but he was still vulnerable to addiction. He end up with a young lady that got him started on heroin and the kid completely changed overnight. The end of the line came when he stole my truck and got caught shooting up in it at a McDonald's parking lot. I went to pick bail him out, and it was a two hour drive each way. I started by screaming and yelling. Then we started talking and he broke down and really let me into what was going on with him in his life and mind. We didn't even go home I took him straight to a Mental Health facility and checked him in that night. He stayed there 4 months, getting drug treatment as well as mental health treatment. He ditched the girl before he left and came to live with my wife and I for a year. Today he is a CEO of his own thriving business, Got married to a wonderful lady and is expecting his first child in a couple of weeks.
My point I guess is, people can and do change. If they have the right support system and the right kind of treatment. even the worst of drug addicts are savable. Randy is young like my brother was. Its so important that they get the help they need while they are young. Its much harder to help people that have been addicts and suffering mental health disorders for 20-30 years. Good luck to you Randy, I'm praying for your lasting recovery!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My little brother inherited some mental health issues from his dad. We have different fathers. They weren't crippling, but he was still vulnerable to addiction. He end up with a young lady that got him started on heroin and the kid completely changed overnight. The end of the line came when he stole my truck and got caught shooting up in it at a McDonald's parking lot. I went to pick bail him out, and it was a two hour drive each way. I started by screaming and yelling. Then we started talking and he broke down and really let me into what was going on with him in his life and mind. We didn't even go home I took him straight to a Mental Health facility and checked him in that night. He stayed there 4 months, getting drug treatment as well as mental health treatment. He ditched the girl before he left and came to live with my wife and I for a year. Today he is a CEO of his own thriving business, Got married to a wonderful lady and is expecting his first child in a couple of weeks.
My point I guess is, people can and do change. If they have the right support system and the right kind of treatment. even the worst of drug addicts are savable. Randy is young like my brother was. Its so important that they get the help they need while they are young. Its much harder to help people that have been addicts and suffering mental health disorders for 20-30 years. Good luck to you Randy, I'm praying for your lasting recovery!

Funny thing is Randy and his father both dispute he has any mental problems. People in the media and fans have jumped to their own conclusion without any backup to prove it yet the person himself has disputed it.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
I'm cheering for Gregory as well but he looked like our best defender? What?

His play in those 2 games.... He was our best player on D

Blogging sorta did him justice in their analysis.... He played sideline to sideline with abandon....remember #50 was out

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Funny thing is Randy and his father both dispute he has any mental problems. People in the media and fans have jumped to their own conclusion without any backup to prove it yet the person himself has disputed it.
There is a huge stigma around any kind of Mental illness. I suffered from Anxiety and Panic disorders and didn't seek help for it for 15 years. Even my wife didn't know about it. Not an easy thing to admit to. You think people will judge you for it and think less of you or think you are weak. I'm all good now and wish I didn't suffer with it for so long, before seeking help.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is a huge stigma around any kind of Mental illness. I suffered from Anxiety and Panic disorders and didn't seek help for it for 15 years. Even my wife didn't know about it. Not an easy thing to admit to. You think people will judge you for it and think less of you or think you are weak. I'm all good now and wish I didn't suffer with it for so long, before seeking help.

That is your experience and I get what your saying but at some point you have to take the word of the guy who is at the center of it. I would hate for people saying I was bi-polar if I wasn't. Is Randy bi polar? none of us know, he says he isn't I have to take the word from the horses mouth as opposed to outside people speculating

QT

Reaction score
I'm the biggest Randy Gregory fan, but like most said on here... It's easy to just say this at the beginning. I think he might have a lapse (alot of users do). I just hope the lapse is after a few good years with the Cowboys.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm the biggest Randy Gregory fan, but like most said on here... It's easy to just say this at the beginning. I think he might have a lapse (alot of users do). I just hope the lapse is after a few good years with the Cowboys.
Normally you would say that after 2 years clean he has turned the corner

But the NFL is such a big deal and plenty of other players are using that it is going to be tougher for him

He has just removed the problem while recovering but now the stress and spotlights are back

I really hope he can handle it because he seems like a genuinely good guy from a good family with a lot of natural talent