Cowboys Rank Next To Last In Brugler's Draft Class Power Rankings

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Jeremiah had him at #55 in his final top 100.
Yea - I read somewhere too that Hill was rated higher than Wilkins by some teams.

Hill is fine at #58, I just don't like following it up the way they did.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There it is.

Criticize this team, get called an idiot. If he gave us an A, would he still be an idiot???

I would say he overrated us.
so let me rephrase, what Brugler said is idiotic, there feel better?
Since you seem to be negative about everything this team does or does not do.

You probably agree with him.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I would say he overrated us.
so let me rephrase, what Brugler said is idiotic, there feel better?
Since you seem to be negative about everything this team does or does not do.

You probably agree with him.
My opinion has nothing to do with this thread. Im calling out the hypocrisy of the homers. If Brugler gave us an A+ grade, he wouldnt be “idiotic” and his credentials wouldnt be questioned

RS12

Reaction score
I see we have the usual pom pom fever right after the draft like clock work. And like clock work I expect it to have all but disappeared by mid season.

visionary

Reaction score
I love when someone tags me in a thread in which I haven't posted. I'm feeling the love, and you still called LVE "Bobby Carpenter 2.0". :muttley:

Brugler is from NE Ohio, just like me. He has no NFL experience, just like me. He's also young enough to be my son. So yeah, his opinion is just his opinion.

I also love it when people open their mouth and expose their ignorance

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yea - I read somewhere too that Hill was rated higher than Wilkins by some teams.
By who?

I would be interested who felt that because as far as I am aware, Christian Wilkins was viewed as one of the safest cleanest players in this draft. It is one reason why a lot of the grades given out to the Dolphins are high because of that. He has been nothing but consistent and has virtually zero character concerns. Can't say that about Hill.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
By who?

I would be interested who felt that because as far as I am aware, Christian Wilkins was viewed as one of the safest cleanest players in this draft. It is one reason why a lot of the grades given out to the Dolphins are high because of that. He has been nothing but consistent and has virtually zero character concerns. Can't say that about Hill.
Idk, I saw it on Twitter I think but I couldn't find the link.

It was one of those "a scout I talked to..." so take it wtih a big grain of salt. My point was just that, from a pure talent perspective, Hill isn't a bad value at 58.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t claim that you have to accept Brugler’s opinion as the be all and end all. Only that his encyclopedic knowledge of the prospects makes it a bit too convenient to dismiss his opinion just because we don’t like it.

I do not dismiss his knowledge. Just saying he should stick to that, and not give grades based on his rankings. It is like Broaddus, he was a scout, but I don't go by his player analysis because it seems he is often wrong. But he is very good at reporting what goes on during TC and practices.

Sometimes a great player does not make a great coach. That sort of comparison. LOL

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
McClay has always had drafts with first round picks, so it is harder to judge him. Other drafts where they either traded away or dropped out of the first have been about what you expect, which is terrible.

Coop is our 1st round pick. He made Dak look like a QB, worth every penny we about to give him. So then we get an a regardless of anyone else.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the outlets or people who gave Dallas better grades--which was nearly everyone else--gave them at least partial credit for the Cooper trade.
I fully agree that you can't count him as a draft pick, but an honest assessment may at least take the use of that pick to get him into account. So partial credit.

I do think we reached hard on both Hill and Pollard.

Overall, I don't mind the players that we took, but we maybe could've been more efficient value-wise.
Honestly, people keep saying was it either Hill or Thornton (or other)….
I think it could've been Thornton AND Hill
I like Pollard for a role player on ST.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
They bungled this draft. Hill was okay at 58. Pollard is nothing special. Thats 2 guys we took in the top 4 rounds that couldnt start in college. If mcgovern can step in and start next year thats fine but we need guys to play this year. Should have traded up for guys that could make a bigger impact this year imo.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
These grades are meaningless. Doesn’t matter if someone gives an A or F. It will play out over next three years or so and then we will know. Also Brugler is not an idiot. These day after grades always change when they go back and re-grade. I would have went with different players but hopefully they got it right in the end with Hill etc.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@Alexander Well, what did Brugler base his grades upon? His own mock draft? Immediate needs? The lame term 'value' which no can conceivably know? Potential starters? Name recognition?

Would be nice to see Brugler's immediate grades for the past Cowboy drafts.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
No first round pick. Not gobs of comp picks. They aren’t going to add as much talent as most teams

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
yeah, like he's the acknowledged god of draft evaluations, I imagine if you reviewed all his "grades" you'd find he's little if any better overall than a lot of other "experts"...

And I imagine if you graded professional scouts they are little if any better than a lot of the other "experts".

So everyone in this business is open for criticism and this standard of being wrong about a player or 2 making you a moron is ridiculous because they all have horrendous moments.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
In terms of determining outright success and failure, perhaps.

But this is more about his own perceived value as it stands right now based on his final rankings. It is just an opinion.

So you have several choices, either ignore any speculation until the season is over and just wave a towel or you can look at what it looks like based on perceived value.

Chances are pretty good if the grades were an A+++++++++ from Brugler, there will be very little talk of just waiting and seeing after the season.
value is low because they didnt have a first round pick,