Cowboys Rank Next To Last In Brugler's Draft Class Power Rankings

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Because we didnt draft him. Simple.

Also, we have to pay Amari probably somewhere between $16-18m a season, whereas if we drafted a player in the first round, the cost would be substantially less.

And being that Amari was already proven on this level destroys the notion that he should be included in this draft’s grade. The draft process is about evaluating and projecting how well a player will play at the next level and acquiring talent. In fact, Amari Cooper had nothing to do with our draft process at ALL.

No interview/pre draft visit
No combine
No board ranking
No hoping he falls to our pick

Did we or did we not spend THIS YEARS NUMBER ONE DRAFT PICK ON HIM?
You do understand the question?

mmohican29

Reaction score
At first glance I'm wholly unimpressed w/this Draft Class.

At 2nd Glance it appears McClay / FO went for Home Runs vs. adding players to fit need. Regardless of media prognosticator evaluations.

At 3rd Glance I think they whiffed but deserve benefit of doubt for now. Recent draft success tells me we might be ahead of the curve somewhere.

I will say if Trystan Hill is the talent they think he is, this Defense will be very, very rugged in 2019 and noone will care.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
on the live show....they mocked Hill at 58...he said he wouldnt be there at 90.
That was likely based on what they perceived as the Cowboys level of desire. I can understand that they fixated on Hill. It was hardly a secret. That is the peril of letting everyone know your business prior to the draft. Look at McGovern. Nobody saw it coming.

And this piece is more about Brugler's personal thoughts, not a prediction on what the Cowboys would do. Context matters. Read back to his explanation why he feels it is risky.

cowboyec

Reaction score
That was likely based on what they perceived as the Cowboys level of desire. I can understand that they fixated on Hill. It was hardly a secret.
agreed....but during the live cast....Brugler agreed with the choice.
in the show before the live mock....he mentioned he thought Hill would be our choice at 58 and said he might not be there at 90.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
31. Dallas Cowboys
2019 draft class
2 58 DT Trysten Hill
3 90 OG/C Connor McGovern
4 128 RB Tony Pollard
5 158 CB Michael Jackson Sr.
5 165 EDGE Joe Jackson
6 213 SS Donovan Wilson
7 218 RB Mike Weber
7 241 EDGE Jalen Jelks
Favorite pick: Connor McGovern, OG/C, Penn State
The Cowboys drafted a higher-rated player in the third round than the second round. McGovern has experience at center and guard and gives the Cowboys a nasty run blocker with upside as a pass protector. His versatility will give the Cowboys options up front in the future, like possibly moving Connor Williams outside to tackle.
Questionable pick: Trysten Hill, DT, UCF
Without a first-round pick, the Cowboys weren’t going to be high on this list, but it is understandable why many fans aren’t excited about Hill, their top pick in the draft. He butted heads with coaches (and teammates) at UCF and needs time to develop. This pick felt like a reach because of their desire to land a high-upside three-technique in a draft with limited options at that position.
Day 3 pick who could surprise: Michael Jackson Sr., CB, Miami (Fla.)
Jackson was thought to be a top-100 pick over the summer, but he didn’t quite have the senior year many expected with only six passes defended and zero interceptions. But the size/speed traits are worth betting on in the fifth round, and defensive assistant Kris Richard has a track record of developing long, speedy corners into quality contributors.
https://***BLOCKED***/951557/2019/04/28/dane-bruglers-nfl-draft-class-power-rankings/
who is brugler? why does his ranking matter? what's his past performance of ranking right after the draft vs. what actually happened?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
agreed....but during the live cast....Brugler agreed with the choice.
in the show before the live mock....he mentioned he thought Hill would be our choice at 58 and said he might not be there at 90.
Mocks can take a variety of forms. Some mocks are to demonstrate predictions, what they think the team will do not on what they personally would do.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did he factor in what the Cowboys did with their first round pick?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year Brugler ranked our draft in the top 5. So I guess we're screwed?

Then he is backwards, last year day 3 dragged the overall draft down, should been in the both have at best.
This year should be middle of the pack at best. Unless you consider Cooper, then top half or better.
However Cooper was a known good commodity so can one truly include him in a grade. Unless you have an asterisk on it.

B grade, but A with Cooper, or C grade with it a B with Cooper.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True dat! IMHO, the true idiots are the ones that do nothing BUT criticize or praise.

Is that what you are doing to those who criticize or praise, you are do the same to them as they do about the team?

People can do both also, criticize AND praise. Where do they fall in your Idiot scale.
There is an entire range of what fans say and how the say it.
A lot can be taken out of context. As some just do not express it in words as to what they actually mean. :laugh:

_sturt_

Reaction score
I respect Dane. Not sure how anyone wouldn't.

But I again propose that one of us with a lot of time on his/her hands should be charitable and go back and do some kind of objective analysis of these guys' grades since they DO have a history that SHOULD tell us which ones actually provide grades that end up being predictive.

C'mon... no retirees out there? Aren't you accountants pretty much done with the worst of your year right now? Gotta be someone. There's a LOT of us.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
on the live show....they mocked Hill at 58...he said he wouldnt be there at 90.

Hill was all over NFL teams' boards because of the risk-reward. The Cowboys weren't alone giving him a 2nd round grade (I read where another team liked him more than Clemson's Christian Wilkins). And some teams had him in the 4th to 5th round range because of the "issues". So we'll see.