Signed by Cowboys Cowboys re-sign David Irving

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Hopefully this works out. We need people to step up big time on defense.

lkelly

Reaction score
He wasn't going anywhere, unless the Mavs offered him a contract.

What is interesting is that he's played a couple years and he's only 23. Seems like a large percentage of guys that come out in the draft are 23 these days (probably a result of the practice of parents holding their kids back/enrolling in school a year late to give them an advantage athletically). Irving still has some time before he's over the hill and stands a good chance of seeing a full second contract assuming his play doesn't fall off *cough* *Crawford* *cough*.

diefree666

Reaction score
He wasn't going anywhere, unless the Mavs offered him a contract.

What is interesting is that he's played a couple years and he's only 23. Seems like a large percentage of guys that come out in the draft are 23 these days (probably a result of the practice of parents holding their kids back/enrolling in school a year late to give them an advantage athletically). Irving still has some time before he's over the hill and stands a good chance of seeing a full second contract assuming his play doesn't fall off *cough* *Crawford* *cough*.

I am still trying to figure out what made the Boys cough up that much for Crawford.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't offer him a multi year contract on the cheap. Sometimes you just have to take the risk on potential. We're pretty much going to audition him for other teams and if he plays extremely well, some team is going to come up and scoop him up by pricing him out of our range.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't offer him a multi year contract on the cheap. Sometimes you just have to take the risk on potential. We're pretty much going to audition him for other teams and if he plays extremely well, some team is going to come up and scoop him up by pricing him out of our range.
I would prefer this rather than giving him some sort of Crawford-esque extension based on potential.

If you hate the Crawford debacle, it is a cautionary tale for this case.

There is nothing wrong with a player earning an extension. And if the deal gets too large for the Cowboys to compete with next year, it is their own fault.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
As I recall, there were other teams interested in Crawford. I think he might end up having a good year next year.

JMO

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I would prefer this rather than giving him some sort of Crawford-esque extension based on potential.

If you hate the Crawford debacle, it is a cautionary tale for this case.

There is nothing wrong with a player earning an extension. And if the deal gets too large for the Cowboys to compete with next year, it is their own fault.
He will be restricted next season. They can give him a 2nd round tender and still keep him.