Twitter: Cowboys receivers separation yardage

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
From Next Gen Stats site
Average Separation (SEP)
The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion.

You have to take these numbers with a little grain of salt in terms of judging the WR. Different routes breed different separation. And it depends on how fast Dak hits guys out of their breaks. It's not just on the WR.

Linehan gives so many "run downfield, turn around, and stand there" routes that this surely drops separation. And Dak's lack of anticipation and hesitancy to throw surely hurts the numbers too.
Absolutely great point. So if one caught the ball because of a blown assignment, theoretically one could have like 20-30 Yds sep

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Anyone post the NextGen "separation" numbers for HOF Cowboys WR Michael Irvin? Curious what those look like. Or did the timing offense make his numbers look amazing since his QB anticapted throws before he came out of his break? Oh wait! What about Irvin's TD in the Super Bowl in Pasadena where he catches the ball in tight coverage, spins, regains his balance and scores...how much separation did he have on that iconic SB play?

Dak’s not Aikman. (I liked Troy a lot more too.) That’s not important. The important thing is whether he can get it done with the right type of receiver. Irvin would be the wrong type, much as Dez was. But guys like Cooper (and Swaim apparently) that show him separation seem to be the right type.

slick325

Reaction score
Dak’s not Aikman. (I liked Troy a lot more too.) That’s not important. The important thing is whether he can get it done with the right type of receiver. Irvin would be the wrong type, much as Dez was. But guys like Cooper (and Swaim apparently) that show him separation seem to be the right type.

Hope so Outlaw...I hope so.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Absolutely great point. So if one caught the ball because of a blown assignment, theoretically one could have like 20-30 Yds sep

That's an even better point. The average is a horrible metric for a long tailed distribution. One blown coverage massively distorts the stat.

CWR

Reaction score
Cmon……….nobody covers Swain. He slips out after blocking at the end of the line and they throw him a 5 yard pass when no one is around. Its not comparable.

Swaim is the man bro. Dont be a player hater.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Hurns is 1.7 ? complaining about the offense (which we all are) but the guy isn’t even getting separation to actually have a chance at the ball.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Hurns is 1.7 ? complaining about the offense (which we all are) but the guy isn’t even getting separation to actually have a chance at the ball.
You’re a good grandpa. Your sig touched me. Good stuff :thumbup:

Without knowing it compels me to like your posts.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's a shame I thought swaim was coming along now has the mcl
I like Swaim. Probably the only TE I want to keep. Is he a #1 TE? I dont know. But at minimum is a quality player to have in two TE sets.

Id like to pair him with a guy thats more of a down field threat

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
4-E6768-BA-1142-487-B-8517-E092499-F884-C.png

See that column titled CUSH - it stands for cushion and reprents the cushion in yards that the defending is giving

Boom thread still alive. But honestly this isn’t a bash ball thrower thread, but a “hey look Amari can help us cause he gets open” thread
wanna double down on your take? look at yards after catch per reception.