RELEASED Cowboys releasing Collins

John813

Reaction score
8.7mil dead cap hit in 2023.

Shouldn’t they get a good comp pick next year? That’s better then a late round pick trade

Nope. He's being cut. Only players on expiring contracts could bring back comp picks

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
What part of the coaching staff? Stupid move imo

The part of the coaching staff that felt he came in out of shape in 2020, had to have surgery miss the entire year, then got suspended after playing 1game in 2021.

there was a point where he had played 1 of a possible 22 games for a new coaching staff.

right or wrong, that certainly impacted the view of this player for a new coaching staff

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unless there is some underlying issue with Collins (medical, attitude, etc), this is a really, really dumb move.

Even if the have more confidence in Steele at RT, slide LC to LG and move on.

Just, wow

CWR

Reaction score
Make it make sense. Lol. What are they doing with this cap space. I can stand by the releases but I can't tolerate the fact it leads to NOTHING.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Do you get the same amount of money as you would releasing him?

Usually yes, but in this case no, but sort of.

Cowboys get 1m$ in cap savings by cutting or trading, exactly the same.

However, they chose to designate him as a June 1st cut. This means they will receive 10m$ In savings on June 1st, and not before then. The reason they get more is they’re allowed to move the other 9m$ to next year.

So next year at this time you’ll have a 9m$ dead cap hit for someone who isn’t on your team, but for now you can spend that money (after June 1st)

As of right now, you don’t even get the 1m$ you would have if you traded him, but in a couple months you’ll be able to use the 10m$ on draft picks and free agents still left after the frenzy

John813

Reaction score
Did we not have a something protecting us in his contract voiding future guarantees from his suspension?

He lost the guarantees for injury for this year that would of turned into a fully guaranteed salary if on the roster IIRC.
It was guaranteed base/salary.

The prorated cap hit/dead cap would always apply to the Cowboys as it was part of his prorated signing bonus.

MrPhil

Reaction score
For those of you that can access:

https://***BLOCKED***/news/cowboys-releasing-tackle-lael-collins-source/qbimSQEzQzQm/

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Are we tanking?
Well if you look at the posts around here our offensive line was terrible last year anyways. I'm sure it will be easy to replace all of these awful linemen we lost. Don't worry, it's fine. It's fine.

Dak is going to be so much better this year without that slacker Cooper and this terrible line. Just. You. Watch.

Sydla

Reaction score
LOL.

We have sufficient cap space now already to make a couple of good moves. We now will add roughly $10 million to that post June 1.

What the freaking freak doing with all this cap space they will have? Dont say draft picks because our pool cap slot is around $3.8 million for 2022.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Collins is about 15 minutes from being done in the NFL, so they had to do this. The guy is fat, lazy, and perpetually injured.

....and he's still our best RT and LG option.

I think the decision was made out of spite. He wouldnt take a similar pay cut like Tank and so the Jones cut their nose off.

I dont get it and I can understand the other moves this season. It's a paltry saving of $1.3m and if it was to free CAP just release for McGovern which would saved $2.5. The CAP issue's next year, let him play in 2022 and wait a team may need in season help.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
FOEhjOGXEAQEu7l