Twitter: Cowboys restructure Witten's contract

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Same ppl praising this will be pissed when he retires and is collecting a crap ton in dead money. I’m very against restructuring unless it’s for top FAs...
Restructure in this case means pay cut and no bonus, or I hope that's what it means.

And ideally there would be language in there that his salary is reduced if he plays in more than 40% of the snaps.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Told ya suckers

Drips and drabs...... all ends up at the same place

That is 38-40m in cap space so far this offseason

This restructure potentially does hurt....he was getting paid too much already but he had no dead money. If they did the usual and cut his salary to 1m and made the rest a SB it just adds dead money down the road.

I know, I know....it all gets accounted for at some point, but they could have just told him take a pay cut to 2-3m or hit the road and saved cap space and not put dead money out there.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Same ppl praising this will be pissed when he retires and is collecting a crap ton in dead money. I’m very against restructuring unless it’s for top FAs...

Yeah like me...love his years of service but we could have gotten 6.5 million if he just retired.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
This restructure potentially does hurt....he was getting paid too much already but he had no dead money. If they did the usual and cut his salary to 1m and made the rest a SB it just adds dead money down the road.

I know, I know....it all gets accounted for at some point, but they could have just told him take a pay cut to 2-3m or hit the road and saved cap space and not put dead money out there.
If he takes a pay cut they still have to restructure the contract.

Restructure doesn't have to mean more dead money.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Doesn't hurt one bit

It is borrowing 3.5m from the next couple years and paying back 3.25m or less....how does that hurt?

It is free money

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

So what? His base was going to hit the cap no matter what. Now it'll hit the cap in the future when it's a smaller percentage.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

The argument is we were paying him 7m regardless. What difference does it make if it gets accounted for over multiple years? The money is due one way or the other.

In this case my problem is we should have just cut his pay. No restructure, no dead money. Just cut his base or let him make the decision to play elsewhere or retire.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If he takes a pay cut they still have to restructure the contract.

Restructure doesn't have to mean more dead money.
Most in the NFL call a paycut a renegotiation
Restructures means turning the base into a signing bonus and spreading out over the remainder of the contract without losing any money

Biggest difference is that renegotiations require consent.... restructures can be automatic with a lot of contracts

Rayman70

Reaction score
Gawd..I HOPE we aren't after Suh. I don't think he's worth the headache. I might do it on a 1 year prove it deal.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Doesn't hurt one bit

It is borrowing 3.5m from the next couple years and paying back 3.25m or less....how does that hurt?

It is free money

The point here is we are paying him 6.75m when we should be paying him half that or less.