Twitter: Cowboys restructure Witten's contract

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm OK with it.

Stephen probably negotiated with Jerry that they would keep Witten if they could dump Dez. You know dumping Dez is going to be painful for Jerry.

The good thing is that Jerry does not seem that attached to newer players. Dump Dez this year and they'll likely move on from Witten next year. If Lee misses more than 2 or 3 games they might move on from him next year also.

I'm just ancy looking forward to Dez cut Day.

I would love it if they could trade him but I don't see that happening.
If they didn't tradeDez that would be moronic

SWatkins got 16m per, Moncrief got10m, Mike Evans 18m

Dez is worth every penny of his 2/25m with 0m gtd......his name alone will sell tickets

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll just reiterate here how much it sucks to read Cowboys fans diminishing Witten’s current level of play for no other reason than the emotionally can’t wait to turn the page on an all time great. If it actually had anything to do with his level of play, I’d feel differently, but it doesn’t.

He’s also, for the record, been paid pretty reasonably for his ability over the length of his time in Dallas. If this season is the salary cap equivalent of playing with a lacerated spleen, so be it. Y’all should shut up and appreciate it. Instead of telling me over and over how much better the 6th round college basketball player who can’t even make he team would make us when there’s zero evidence that’s remotely true.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yes.

When Orlando Scarndrick's June release hits the books on the second of that month, the Cowboys will gain $3M in cap room.

Before then, it's possible to generate more space by agreeing to a long term extension with Zack Martin and/or DeMarcus Lawrence. Or be restructuring Tyron Smith or Sean Lee. Or by negotiating a pay cut with Dez Bryant or Tyrone Crawford. Or James Hanna could be released.
I listed a whole MENU for Cap Space in my Free Agent thread

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I’ll just reiterate here how much it sucks to read Cowboys fans diminishing Witten’s current level of play for no other reason than the emotionally can’t wait to turn the page on an all time great. If it actually had anything to do with his level of play, I’d feel differently, but it doesn’t.

He’s also, for the record, been paid pretty reasonably for his ability over the length of his time in Dallas. If this season is the salary cap equivalent of playing with a lacerated spleen, so be it. Y’all should shut up and appreciate it. Instead of telling me over and over how much better the 6th round college basketball player who can’t even make he team would make us when there’s zero evidence that’s remotely true.
Just know your role

DO NOT throw to him on 3rd and 8 or more
DO throw to him on 3rd and 5 or less

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why did they over pay him in the first place? This money is just kicked down the road. It will effect our ability to sign players in the future.

That's what they said years ago and you might have noticed Deonte Thompson and Joe Thomas are now Cowboys.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Same ppl praising this will be pissed when he retires and is collecting a crap ton in dead money. I’m very against restructuring unless it’s for top FAs...
I agree. I love Witten, but this pretty much guarantees he is on the roster next year as a well.

conner01

Reaction score
That means he is definitely staying for 2018.
I think he was all along
Witten I think retires next year on his own terms
We need Rico to push him for snaps this year
If Rico can be what he looked like he could be in camp last year he needs half or more of the snaps this year

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's what they said years ago and you might have noticed Deonte Thompson and Joe Thomas are now Cowboys.
And so are Allen Hurns and DLaw and ZMartin and DIrving

That is 35m in cap space right there

Bluefin

Reaction score
Another Dez thought.

It would be funny if they convinced him to take a paycut and then traded him.

At 6M per I think a team might trade a 7th for him...

The rub with asking Dez Bryant to take a reduction in his scheduled base salary is that it will typically require a concession from the team to make it happen.

Dez currently has non-guaranteed $12.5M base salaries in the remaining two years of his contract.

If Dallas wants him to play for less, what will they offer in exchange?

Dez doesn't want to play for another team.

If he agrees to take less, the team would likely have to guarantee the salary this year and next along with providing incentives tat would allow #88 to recoup the lost salary by hitting unlikely to achieve incentives.

This would keep Dez happy and motivated.

I'd rather get deals done with Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence instead of bothering with Dez's contract..

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Check this out. Stephen probably negotiated with Jerry. Okay, dad...Owner of this whole thing...I'll let you keep Witten if Dez goes.

Fantasy is fun.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rub with asking Dez Bryant to take a reduction in his scheduled base salary is that it will typically require a concession from the team to make it happen.

Dez currently has non-guaranteed $12.5M base salaries in the remaining two years of his contract.

If Dallas wants him to play for less, what will they offer in exchange?

Dez doesn't want to play for another team.

If he agrees to take less, the team would likely have to guarantee the salary this year and next along with providing incentives tat would allow #88 to recoup the lost salary by hitting unlikely to achieve incentives.

This would keep Dez happy and motivated.

I'd rather get deals done with Zack Martin and DeMarcus Lawrence instead of bothering with Dez's contract..

Yes, I was really just joking.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he was all along
Witten I think retires next year on his own terms
We need Rico to push him for snaps this year
If Rico can be what he looked like he could be in camp last year he needs half or more of the snaps this year
They absolutely have to give more receiving opportunities to other TEs on the roster. They'll never know what they can/can't do if they just block and run a few clear-out routes.