News: Cowboys' Rod Smith: Inefficient in contract year

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
Shoulda drafted Cohen.. Tisk tisk tisk

444 yards on the ground 3 TD's, 725 receiving yards 5TD's. 1 passing TD

411 punt return yards...

That's value

Woulda softened the the blow of the potential loss of Beasely as well.. But don't listen to me!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They need to be more concerned with drafting a S, DT, TE, OL, another S and DT, and aK and P before, as well as filling those positions in FA. Then to get a RB.

After all the HOF RB Darius Jackson is on the team. You know, the HOF RB that could not beat out Rod as back up RB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, guys, let's try to look at this season...going forward. Not, tripping up over the past...a lot can be done, some, will be!

cowboyec

Reaction score
I like Rod...but if they let him walk...
Myles Gaskin,Washington.
love to see him with a Star on his hat.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
He’s too north and south,but he’s not a powerful north and south runner. I’d like more of a switch up,and get some explosion out of the 2nd spot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He’s too north and south,but he’s not a powerful north and south runner. I’d like more of a switch up,and get some explosion out of the 2nd spot.
lol, I don't think he won the Oscar for Deliverence.

OnceMighty

Reaction score
He developed Marion Barber disease this year. Started trying to make cuts instead of hitting hole hard and fast as both did successfully earlier in careers.

Hadenough

Reaction score
My first choice, to not make end of camp roster...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/DAL/dallas-cowboys/

Cowboys' Rod Smith: Inefficient in contract year
Rotowire 11H ago
Smith rushed for 127 yards and one touchdown on 44 carries over 16 games in 2018. He also caught nine of 12 targets for 60 yards.

Smith was rarely much of a factor in the offensive game plan outside of a lone spot start in Week 17 while filling in for a resting Ezekiel Elliott. His longest play went for just 14 yards, and his 2.2 YPC was among the least efficient in the league. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Cowboys move on when Smith becomes an unrestricted free agent at the beginning of the league year.
Rod Smith is not the same type of runner as Elliott. He was asked to run between the tackles twice a game. Thats complete BS. design some plays for his strength. The guy is an outside runner and catches the ball well. What I really am disgusted with is how could the chiefs sign a guy that was sitting on his couch named Damien Williams and the Cowboys scouting staff probably never even looked at him. He probably would of just rotted away on the bench with fresh explosive legs.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Cheap labor. Great on special teams. Not saying this is what will happen but I can't imagine that more was expected from Rod from the coaches and the organization.

bark

Reaction score
We should go after CJ “fats” Anderson if for no other reason than to prevent his annual gashing of the Cowboys defense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't happy with Rod Smith at all this year. Not only from his poor production, but from what looked like an attitude shift and a guy thinking that he's far better than he is. It showed up in his change of running style and going from a north south power back to someone who somehow thinks he's now shifty enough to be bouncing things outside (which he isn't). The results showed that he was wrong.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He developed Marion Barber disease this year. Started trying to make cuts instead of hitting hole hard and fast as both did successfully earlier in careers.

Sorry but Smith couldnt hold a candle to Marion on his WORST day in Dallas.

Can't go into the 2019 with Rod as your #2 RB. Especially for this team that relies so much on its ability to run the ball. Just imagine legitimately spelling Zeke with a guy who actually brings something dynamic to the table.

Not meant to totally dump on Rod because I think he can be valuable as a #3 RB/FB type guy. But we need much more from Zeke's backup.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's a key special teams guy. He didn't get a chance to do anything as the RB. I have no problems with upgrading the #2 RB position but I think keeping Smith as #3 is a solid move - for both the ST piece and to keep his little brother - who will be in a contract year - happy.

I'm not sure that keeping him on the roster is going to be that much of a factor financially for Jaylon, although I guess it could be.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sorry but Smith couldnt hold a candle to Marion on his WORST day in Dallas.

Can't go into the 2019 with Rod as your #2 RB. Especially for this team that relies so much on its ability to run the ball. Just imagine legitimately spelling Zeke with a guy who actually brings something dynamic to the table.

Not meant to totally dump on Rod because I think he can be valuable as a #3 RB/FB type guy. But we need much more from Zeke's backup.

I was saying that we need a legit #2 RB because of the running game's importance to the team. We are playing with fire giving Zeke all those carries with no legitimate backup on the roster.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Rod Smith is not the same type of runner as Elliott. He was asked to run between the tackles twice a game. Thats complete BS. design some plays for his strength. The guy is an outside runner and catches the ball well. What I really am disgusted with is how could the chiefs sign a guy that was sitting on his couch named Damien Williams and the Cowboys scouting staff probably never even looked at him. He probably would of just rotted away on the bench with fresh explosive legs.

With or after Linehan?

links18

Reaction score
Jerrry is too sentimental to cut Jaylon's brother. Everyone should stay comfortable.