News: Cowboys' Rod Smith: Inefficient in contract year

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Move him to FB. Dump Olawale. Draft a midrounder and bring in some PFAs after the draft. The fact he can play FB and ST and KR saves us a KR roster spot and FB spot. His utility value is too great until someone better comes along.
The league is dominated by 11 personnel. We need a better receiving guy to be second fiddle to Zeke IMO.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I often wondered WHy didn't they use him more in 2 back sets with Zeke. Hell let him play FB and lead block the way moose did for Emmitt. The game scheming by this wonderful all pro coaching staff leaves a lot to be desired. I get it, were a run 1st team, so why NOT set a FB in to help get Zeke down the field. Maybe I'm clueless on it, but I remember moose getting ES to the 2nd level more times then not. And wouldn't it have been a blessing to see that set on the stinking 4th and 1 that went no where. Eh, I'm only a fan, what do I know.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My first choice, to not make end of camp roster...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/DAL/dallas-cowboys/

Cowboys' Rod Smith: Inefficient in contract year
Rotowire 11H ago
Smith rushed for 127 yards and one touchdown on 44 carries over 16 games in 2018. He also caught nine of 12 targets for 60 yards.

Smith was rarely much of a factor in the offensive game plan outside of a lone spot start in Week 17 while filling in for a resting Ezekiel Elliott. His longest play went for just 14 yards, and his 2.2 YPC was among the least efficient in the league. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Cowboys move on when Smith becomes an unrestricted free agent at the beginning of the league year.

The coaches love having him on the roster. His knowledge of the offense and special teams schemes is said to be well above average and he is a hard worker in practice.

Obviously he is limited as a true RB but Zeke will get most of the carries regardless of the name of the backup RB(s).

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I thought he would have more of an impact this year.

BigD_95

Reaction score
never understood why he was the 2nd RB. He just isnt that good. We need to upgrade this spot.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Maybe we can find another Alfred Morris in Free Agency. Decent production and depth, and didn't break the bank, cap wise.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I actually was disappointed we did not go to Rod Smith early agains the lambs when it was obvious Zeke is held. I remember a game against SB champions Seahawks few years back when Demarco Murray could not unlock their front line early. We went to #21 (don't remember his name). He had a strong couple of runs and one of them went for maybe 20+ yards. Then we put Murray back.

I was screaming at the TV two weeks ago to put Smith in for a few snaps and let him unlock them. He has this violent way of running into the Dline. I know it is not always effective, but hey, nothing was working anyway ... try everything, esp in a playoff situation

I still believe we are better than lambs team. Can't get over it :facepalm:

:cool:

CCBoy

Reaction score
The coaches love having him on the roster. His knowledge of the offense and special teams schemes is said to be well above average and he is a hard worker in practice.

Obviously he is limited as a true RB but Zeke will get most of the carries regardless of the name of the backup RB(s).

Both the Rams and New England had a group of very productive running backs, The Rams had Gurley, and Elliott is comparable at production levels. The point being, a diverse group was even more productive, and not just fills for the leader of the pack...with Dallas, Elliott.

Diversity could well add to balance and depth through a game. I would explore those possibilities at least.

I wouldn't label Smith as the alternate as a fullback, from the start.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
Rod Smith not Zeke . He's a between the tackles runner. Has good pass catching skills . Broke one against the Giants last season . Another misuse coaching staff casualty

Hadenough

Reaction score
With or after Linehan?
Smith ran well enough to take the job from Morris a couple years ago and suddenly every time he touches the ball its straight into the pile. Coach is at fault for calling same play that Zeke runs. Without Linehan we will see.
Diversity could well add to balance and depth through a game.
Diversity has to come from the coach knowing how to use the players. Dallas for whatever reason doesnt know how to use a guy like Tarik Cohen or James White. All they ever do with Tavon Austin is run the jet sweep.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Smith ran well enough to take the job from Morris a couple years ago and suddenly every time he touches the ball its straight into the pile. Coach is at fault for calling same play that Zeke runs. Without Linehan we will see.

Diversity has to come from the coach knowing how to use the players. Dallas for whatever reason doesnt know how to use a guy like Tarik Cohen or James White. All they ever do with Tavon Austin is run the jet sweep.

I guess that we all are hoping that effective plays and player useage improves...

blueblood70

Reaction score
first off yes we might need an upgrade at RB2 BUT no way this team carrys 3 RB on the regular game day roster or for that matter on the 53, zeke isn't missing games and hardly takes plays off , only room for a 2nd rb..

SO you have to choose Smith is cut or stays if he stays no new RB2, if he goes we get new guy..

Id say we need RB similar to Hunt so we have the same dynamic as Kamamra/Ingram although Kamara has become the 1 and Ingram the 2 but a faster wiggle back to do more like Chen but given zekes work load , he may not get enough touches unless he pulls a LVE and is so good the coaches cant keep him on the bench and this would help keep zeke even more fresh and negations much different on extension :) id say 3rd or 4th round for RB2 is best, we have too many needs with no 1 this year 2 and 3 have to be potential starters at Safety, TE. and DT..

CCBoy

Reaction score
first off yes we might need an upgrade at RB2 BUT no way this team carrys 3 RB on the regular game day roster or for that matter on the 53, zeke isn't missing games and hardly takes plays off , only room for a 2nd rb..

SO you have to choose Smith is cut or stays if he stays no new RB2, if he goes we get new guy..

Id say we need RB similar to Hunt so we have the same dynamic as Kamamra/Ingram although Kamara has become the 1 and Ingram the 2 but a faster wiggle back to do more like Chen but given zekes work load , he may not get enough touches unless he pulls a LVE and is so good the coaches cant keep him on the bench and this would help keep zeke even more fresh and negations much different on extension :) id say 3rd or 4th round for RB2 is best, we have too many needs with no 1 this year 2 and 3 have to be potential starters at Safety, TE. and DT..

This is a workable premise...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

They'd activate a 3rd RB if he were a stand out ST player.

To me, the problem with any 2nd or even 3rd RB is that we have absolutely no plan on how we want to use that guy. We treat them as backups in the purest sense, which is that when Zeke is tired, they come in, and we pass the ball or run them straight up the middle.

If that's what we want to do, then any FA will do. No point even spending a pick or money on that #2 guy, which means Rod is as good as anyone else.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
How efficient is he supposed to be on 2.5 carries a game behind the most predictable running offense in the league?

Agreed.

That said, I think he’s the perfect type of guy to have as your #3 on your depth chart. He’s a utility guy that plays well on coverage units. We need better talent backing up Zeke.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Coaching staff does not know how to utilize offensive players. If the Cowboys had Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Travis Kelce added to the team, it would probably not make too much of a difference. Cannot run with the horses, if you cannot walk with footmen.