Cowboys rookie DT Trysten Hill motivated to move on from complicated ending at UCF

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Trysten%20Hill.jpg

CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
MAY 10, 2019 05:38 PM
LINK

****snip****

Despite not starting, his production on the field was just as high in 2018 as it was in 2017. And he continues to display the right attitude.

”Certainly an impressive young man and that’s one of the reasons we drafted him,” coach Jason Garrett said of his early mini-camp impressions of Hill. “We got to know him through the whole process. He’s very likeable, got great enthusiasm for life and for football.”

The Cowboys are high on him because he has the skills and talent to be the prototypical “under” tackle in this defense.

”The word that jumps out to me is explosive, disruptive,” Garrett said. “The really good ones have great quickness; are strong, powerful, and continue to disrupt both in the run game and the pass game. If you picture a guy like Warren Sapp may be the best one that coach Marinelli’s had during his time in Tampa. If you go back and watch those tapes, he’s just off the ball quicker than everyone and through the offensive line raising hell and causing havoc for the opposing team.”

That’s who the Cowboys, namely Marinelli, believe Hill can be.

The first day of minicamp is just the first step.

Still, his complicated past at UCF is going to hang over Hill’s head until he paints another picture of himself and proves Marinelli right.

“I think that fuels me,” Hill said. “To be able to go through that and experience that is definitely a learning experience. It is fuel. It definitely keeps me going and wants me to prove everybody wrong.”

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Loved the pick. A truly disruptive 3-tech will make a huge difference to this defense. He’s as explosive as you’ll ever find for a 308 pound guy. He just explodes off the line and with that excellent size, he’s going to create big problems for offenses.

He has a lot to learn because he is relatively raw, but he’s a bright kid and he loves football... two very important things when you talk about learning fast and making an early impact.

IMO, he’s going to start contributing right away in a rotation and with that elite get-off, he will cause chaos in the pocket.

I’m as excited about this pick as any in recent memory. I can’t wait.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Loved the pick. A truly disruptive 3-tech will make a huge difference to this defense. He’s as explosive as you’ll ever find for a 308 pound guy. He just explodes off the line and with that excellent size, he’s going to create big problems for offenses.

He has a lot to learn because he is relatively raw, but he’s a bright kid and he loves football... two very important things when you talk about learning fast and making an early impact.

IMO, he’s going to start contributing right away in a rotation and with that elite get-off, he will cause chaos in the pocket.

Wish I could 'like' this more than once.

The Cowboys FINALLY drafted an impact DT everyone has been screaming for.

waldoputty

Reaction score

me too. have not been this excited about a pick since jaylon.
he may be the most explosive dt we know of including donald and sapp based on vertical jump scores.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Rookie Trysten Hill building on 1st impression with Cowboys

Hill also said the coaching change helped him on the field, because of a switch to the 4-3 that gave the Cowboys a better glimpse of how the 308-pounder fits on the interior of their defensive line. He's a backup to three-year starter Maliek Collins - for now.

''It's unbelievable how hard he plays,'' Marinelli said. ''You'd be hard pressed to see any guy playing that hard at just about every position. It's just about every down, his motor is running. When you see that, that reflects football character.''...

Being a backup his final season at UCF didn't affect Hill's production. He had the best year of his college career, with three sacks and 10 1/2 tackles for loss. His 36 tackles also were his collegiate high...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rookie-trysten-hill-building-1st-impression-cowboys-235447763--nfl.html

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
Liked the pick but after seeing that interview he did on dc.com I think he has some sugar in his tank. Might have something to do with the problems as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Liked the pick but after seeing that interview he did on dc.com I think he has some sugar in his tank. Might have something to do with the problems as well.

There is no baseline of being a choir boy in the NFL...and I'm not worrying on this player's motivations.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Trysten%20Hill.jpg

CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
LINK

****snip****

Despite not starting, his production on the field was just as high in 2018 as it was in 2017. And he continues to display the right attitude.

”Certainly an impressive young man and that’s one of the reasons we drafted him,” coach Jason Garrett said of his early mini-camp impressions of Hill. “We got to know him through the whole process. He’s very likeable, got great enthusiasm for life and for football.”

The Cowboys are high on him because he has the skills and talent to be the prototypical “under” tackle in this defense.

”The word that jumps out to me is explosive, disruptive,” Garrett said. “The really good ones have great quickness; are strong, powerful, and continue to disrupt both in the run game and the pass game. If you picture a guy like Warren Sapp may be the best one that coach Marinelli’s had during his time in Tampa. If you go back and watch those tapes, he’s just off the ball quicker than everyone and through the offensive line raising hell and causing havoc for the opposing team.”

Still, his complicated past at UCF is going to hang over Hill’s head until he paints another picture of himself and proves Marinelli right.

“I think that fuels me,” Hill said. “To be able to go through that and experience that is definitely a learning experience. It is fuel. It definitely keeps me going and wants me to prove everybody wrong.”

Proof is in the pudding Mr Hill. Give us some thrills and prove it :)

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score

I feel the exact same way, I cannot wait to see him play.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trysten%20Hill.jpg

CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
LINK

****snip****

Don't know much about this DT but his face sends a positive message....reminds me of # 99 of the Rams....let's hope.....!!!!

Bowdown27

Reaction score
It’s funny our dline was a big strength for us last season. And we upgraded this off-season. Robert Quinn coming in replacing Gregory(who could end up back as well) hill the rookie coming in as one of our tops picks. Don’t have to worry about the headcase anymore in Irving.

Pants

Reaction score
I am glad to see some positive things on Hill, while I don't mind the pick, I still felt it was early - was anyone else looking to draft this guy before Dallas in the 3rd round? (serious question)....I can't wait to see if he pushes people around on the line and wreaks havoc as suggested - if he can do that in practice to our OLine, then that bodes well for the future....gotta like him now that we used 58 on him, right?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I am glad to see some positive things on Hill, while I don't mind the pick, I still felt it was early - was anyone else looking to draft this guy before Dallas in the 3rd round? (serious question)....I can't wait to see if he pushes people around on the line and wreaks havoc as suggested - if he can do that in practice to our OLine, then that bodes well for the future....gotta like him now that we used 58 on him, right?
Dane Brugler gave him a late 3rd grade but on draft day he wasn't sure Hill would make it to 58. Said that he could see the Patriots take him at 56 (but NE kept moving down into the 3rd). About 7 DL went in the 3rd round before pick 90 of the Cowboys. Many of them could play 3T and none as explosive as Hill.

From Jerry's interview with Michael Irvin.
"Tristan Hill is a player that we hoped would make it to us. Some say we took him too high, but our hope was that he could make it to us. We knew that one issue that caused him to have a real critical look was the fact that his last year at UCF was a mixed review because he really didn't play that much. Yet he was physically able to play. That gave us the opportunity because he is the prototype interior lineman for what we want. That position is critical. He disrupts. He gets into the backfield quickly. That's disturbing to whatever the offense has in mind. It's his forte. He's got the size and so we really got our fix when Trysten Hill was still there and we were able to draft him with that 58th pick in the draft."

Last edited:

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Wish I could 'like' this more than once.

The Cowboys FINALLY drafted an impact DT everyone has been screaming for.
Says the 3 times take 4 steps backwards and throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder. It will make it the truth. Then we are a Safety away. Good stuff!!