Cowboys rookie Michael Gallup “catching everything in sight” in Wednesday’s practice

waving monkey

Reaction score
The Cowboys wide receiver position has been the subject of much conversation this offseason. After the release of Dez Bryant, the Cowboys decided to add some new personnel. They picked up two receivers in free agency, two receivers in the draft, and a couple of college free agents. Though he wasn’t atop the list of the receivers we covered pre-draft here on BTB, Michael Gallup quickly became one of the most exciting picks they made. The following comes from a piece back in May and why Gallup could make an early impact:

Where Gallup really learned to set himself apart was with his technique. When you’re not the biggest (6’1, 205 lbs) or fastest guy on the field, you have to make up for it with polished technique, which is exactly what Gallup brings to the table. In this class, a lot of praise was given to Calvin Ridley, D.J. Moore, and Anthony Miller for their route-running ability. The same could be said for Gallup, who is an incredibly savvy route salesman. He received very high praise from PFF on his understanding of the route tree.

It’s imperative that receivers learn the nuances of playing the position in the NFL and especially in today’s game. Very few receivers can coast on their athletic profile alone. They have to make adjustments because once a defense knows those tendencies, they’ll just clog up the passing lanes. If a receiver can’t run the route tree or create separation, that athletic ability is not going to save them every time. That’s where a receiver like Gallup makes all the difference with his attention to refining the little aspects of his game.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ng-everything-in-sight-in-wednesdays-practice

Verdict

Reaction score
We are going to be fine at receiver. Dez sucked and still doesn't have a job, incidentally. Witten was washed up and should have retired several years ago.

We tried to sign Watkins, but Hurns was a really good consolation prize. He is a damn good possession receiver. He will be a much better player than Dez.

Beasley is back to his old self. In mid season form already.

Gallup is a great value pick. Very good production in college and carried his team.

Thompson has speed to burn. Legit speed. So does Austin. We went from a team with NO SPEED to above average receiver speed. That's significant.

Why bring up all of this when this is about Gallup? Because one man can't get open if his receiving mates suck because in the NFL they are going to bracket you and take you out of the game.

I like what I am hearing so far. And by the way, Dez still sucks.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
We are going to be fine at receiver. Dez sucked and still doesn't have a job, incidentally. Witten was washed up and should have retired several years ago.

We tried to sign Watkins, but Hurns was a really good consolation prize. He is a damn good possession receiver. He will be a much better player than Dez.

Beasley is back to his old self. In mid season form already.

Gallup is a great value pick. Very good production in college and carried his team.

Thompson has speed to burn. Legit speed. So does Austin. We went from a team with NO SPEED to above average receiver speed. That's significant.

Why bring up all of this when this is about Gallup? Because one man can't get open if his receiving mates suck because in the NFL they are going to bracket you and take you out of the game.

I like what I am hearing so far. And by the way, Dez still sucks.

This. I think the national media went: "Oh my gosh, the Cowboys just lost DEZ BRYANT and JASON WITTEN? They're screwed!"

What they didn't realize is that when Dez wasn't getting locked down by single coverage, or dropping the ball, or fumbling after the catch, he was just an average possession receiver. Dude lost all his deep speed and most of his explosiveness after the catch, and didn't have the sure hands or route running to compensate. There's nothing he was doing that Hurns can't do, and probably can't do better.

And Witten - man, it's hard to replace a veteran as savvy as Witten (read Jason Garrett's comments at his farewell presser about his option routes - it nearly brought tears to my eyes), but athletically he was totally done for. He could still make some catches in the slot, but he had faded bad as a blocker and offered comically zero threat downfield or after the catch. It's always hard to lose such a reliable possession receiver, but he's only leaving us missing some 5 yard out routes.

It's not like we lost 2014 Dez Bryant and Witten. Both of those guys were way bigger names than games by the end of last season.

I honestly think we are better right now at WR than we were last year. Hurns over Dez is a lateral move and maybe an upgrade, and Gallup could end up being the best #2 we've had in a while. Every blurb coming out about him seems really freaking positive, he is running with the 1s and beating NFL CBs.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Great to hear rookie WR Michael Gallup is catching everything in training camp. Who is throwing him those passes? Must not be Dak since all I've heard is how bad Dak has been with his passing so far.

We hear that every day no matter what happens. If he walked on water they'd accuse him of not knowing how to swim. :D

T-RO

Reaction score
Might seem overly dramatic to say it...but Gallup will be one of Boy’s most vital 10 players this year. I think he’s got to burst from the pack of outside players. A lot to ask of a rookie, but that might be where we are.

I really, really, really like his make-up.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We hear that every day no matter what happens. If he walked on water they'd accuse him of not knowing how to swim. :D
lol...I hear ya.

That Dak must suck since so many others here on CowboysZone say so.

Oh wait, what is this?...

Or this...

E4CVbRh.jpg

Buzzbait

Reaction score
His stats from 2016 are insane.

76 catches, 14 touchdowns, 1272 yards, 98ypg

All of his stats went up in 2017, but he only had 1/2 the TDs

100 catches, 7 TDs 1413 yards, 109 ypg

WOW! And some people are still mourning Dez? Ha! Dez who?
Gallup is going to make life miserable for defenses! :laugh:

Verdict

Reaction score
This. I think the national media went: "Oh my gosh, the Cowboys just lost DEZ BRYANT and JASON WITTEN? They're screwed!"

What they didn't realize is that when Dez wasn't getting locked down by single coverage, or dropping the ball, or fumbling after the catch, he was just an average possession receiver. Dude lost all his deep speed and most of his explosiveness after the catch, and didn't have the sure hands or route running to compensate. There's nothing he was doing that Hurns can't do, and probably can't do better.

And Witten - man, it's hard to replace a veteran as savvy as Witten (read Jason Garrett's comments at his farewell presser about his option routes - it nearly brought tears to my eyes), but athletically he was totally done for. He could still make some catches in the slot, but he had faded bad as a blocker and offered comically zero threat downfield or after the catch. It's always hard to lose such a reliable possession receiver, but he's only leaving us missing some 5 yard out routes.

It's not like we lost 2014 Dez Bryant and Witten. Both of those guys were way bigger names than games by the end of last season.

I honestly think we are better right now at WR than we were last year. Hurns over Dez is a lateral move and maybe an upgrade, and Gallup could end up being the best #2 we've had in a while. Every blurb coming out about him seems really freaking positive, he is running with the 1s and beating NFL CBs.
Pay attention to this guy. He's on to something, here.