Cowboys schedule is brutal

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Toughest schedule in a while. The season will be really telling.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Oh I thought when you responded to my comment about the skill positions being bad nd said that the OL was great that you were actually replying to what I was saying. Instead you play by your own rules.

The skill positions are really bad.

"The defense is much improved. It's not as bad as you're saying."

You win that one.

I doubt you're even old enough to know if it's the worst since Campo. It is. It's not even debatable. They have a QB who can't throw, a bunch of #3 receivers and TEs that belong in NFL Europe.

You can doubt anythintg you want. But if you’re saying an offense that consisted of Quincy Carter at QB and Troy Hambrick at running back isn’t possibly worse, then I don’t know what to tell you.

How about Vinny Testaverde and Eddie George at QB/RB? The one positive there was they were both able to park their power scooters next to each other and catch the early bird specials together.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I remember looking at the schedule last year, 2 against the 12-4 Cowboys, gotta play Cousins twice, 2 against the 11-5 Giants, Seahawks, Cardinals will probably be decent with David Johnson, Chargers, Broncos, Raiders were awesome 2016, Chiefs.....

Honestly thought 10 losses could have been possible if you look at how 2016 was.

Chin up, trust your talent and your front office, everything changes completely every year. Except for Tom Brady. But everything else is up in the air. Eli is still Eli, Alex Smith is still Alex Smith, and Wentz is still broken.

I personally don't think you'll win more than 11, but I also don't think you'll lose more than 7. Lots of playoff records in that spectrum.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can doubt anythintg you want. But if you’re saying an offense that consisted of Quincy Carter at QB and Troy Hambrick at running back isn’t possibly worse, then I don’t know what to tell you.

That team had Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway. A rookie Jason Witten.

You swung. You missed. The worst since Dave Campo.

TWOK11

Reaction score
The Jags should.

Winning 10+ games with a QB the caliber of Blake Bortles is an anomaly when you look at the whole of NFL history. He's not even on the level of a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that they will match last year's record.

HungryLion

Reaction score

An absolutely horrific QB/RB combo. Far far worse than the WR Corp the cowboys will be fielding this season. Saying without a doubt this years skill positions are worse overall is just hyperbole.

The QB/RB combo in 2004 wasn’t any better. Testaverde and George probably had to take Geritol
Prior to the games to get them pumped up. And Keyshawn Johnson had his AARP card by then.

TWOK11

Reaction score
They win about 6 games this year. It is what it is. Shout out to the front office for letting the skill positions atrophy to this point with their stellar foresight and vision.

I take it you have the Giants down as the best team in football then.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Dallas hasn't improved from last season we'll probably win 6 games instead of 9. But for really good teams a tough schedule isn't going to matter because they find ways to win. We'll find out what we are this season. Besides, every year is different and a lot of these teams aren't going to be what they were last season. Some will be better or worse.

TWOK11

Reaction score

We can debate the future of Dak Prescott all night but he's unquestionably much better than Quincy Carter. And of course Elliott on one leg is better than Troy Hambrick.

Joey Galloway caught 34 passes and 2 TDs in 2003. Written caught 35 passes and 1 TD. Terry Glenn caught 52 passes and 4 TDs. You're staking your argument that this set of skill position players is "clearly" inferior to that team on those numbers?

Good luck with that

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An absolutely horrific QB/RB combo. Far far worse than the WR Corp the cowboys will be fielding this season. Saying without a doubt this years skill positions are worse overall is just hyperbole.

The QB/RB combo in 2004 wasn’t any better. Testaverde and George probably had to take Geritol
Prior to the games to get them pumped up. And Keyshawn Johnson had his AARP card by then.

A horrific overall group in 2003 but they at least had a few quality weapons. Glenn is like twice as talented as any pass catcher on this roster.

This team has a RB. That's it. One great RB.

There's no need to desperately search for something to make you feel better as a fan. There is not a worse group of skill position players fielded by the Dallas Cowboys since the Campo era than this one right here.

And it all starts with that QB. I can smell him from here.

HungryLion

Reaction score
A horrific overall group in 2003 but they at least had a few quality weapons. Glenn is like twice as talented as any pass catcher on this roster.

There's no need to desperately search for something to make you feel better as a fan. There is not a worse group of skill position players fielded by the Dallas Cowboys since the Campo era than this one right here.

You don’t have to sell me on Terry Glenn. I loved Terry Glenn when he was a cowboy. He was a very good receiver.

The rest of your post is just being over the top negative, underselling the potential of some of the current players.

But like I said earlier. Debating whether this years class is any worse than the atrocious skill players in Parcells early years, and they were atrocious, is inevitably fruitless.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don’t have to sell me on Terry Glenn. I loved Terry Glenn when he was a cowboy. He was a very good receiver.

The rest of your post is just being over the top negative, underselling the potential of some of the current players.

But like I said earlier. Debating whether this years class is any worse than the atrocious skill players in Parcells early years, and they were atrocious, is inevitably fruitless.

Of course you don't want to debate because you're wrong. You're just a scolded fan.

The 2003 versions of Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway start on this team. The rookie version of Jason Witten starts on this team. It's not even close. Heck even Dan Campbell is a better TE than the crap we have now.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Of course you don't want to debate because you're wrong. You're just a scolded fan.

The 2003 versions of Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway start on this team. The rookie version of Jason Witten starts on this team. It's not even close. Heck even Dan Campbell is a better TE than the crap we have now.

Ok that’s 3 positions. It also doesn’t take into account the 3rd WR. Beasley is a quaility slot WR, albeit in a different era of football than 2003.

Quincy Carter doesn’t start on this team, and Troy Hambrick doesn’t start on this team. Any backups that Hambrick had, probably don’t even make the roster behind guys like Tavon Austin and Rod Smith.

Quincy couldn’t even throw a spiral consistently for crying out loud.

Funny I’m getting referred to as a scolded fan, by the guy who has been pissing and moaning ever since the Eagles drafted a certain QB rather than the cowboys.

But I’m the scolded one.

The truth is debating about it is pointless because we are arguing about a team from 15 years ago, and it’s clear we are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the current QB.

Lastly, this thread is about what the teams overall record will be. The offensive skill players are only one part in determining what the record will be. A lot will also be determined by the defense and the offensive line.

Even the best offensive skill players in the league, can’t perform at a high level if they don’t have people blocking for them..... but the last time I brought up the OL and the impact they will have with the offensive production in general, you complained about it......

Last edited:

817Gill

Reaction score
I don’t disagree there. I don’t think we can expect the offense to put up 30+ points consistently like it has in recent years.

But I also think the offense is built to be the top rushing offense in the league and play ball control. If the defense can do it’s part, then the team will be competitive.

I agree with you though. The truth is we HAVE needed some serious showing from the defense for years now. Hopefully all the recent draft picks to the defense start to show dividends.

Well, the first 8 games of 2017, Dak and the offense were averaging 27ppg. The offensive line is better now and I think Zeke will be better.

I also believe the skill positions are better as a whole and offer much more versatility than the old personnel could. But even if you believe the old personnel was better, it was only marginally because they played average to bad in 2017. All these receivers have to do is match the production of the WR's in the first half of 2017 and we'll be hovering around that 30ppg mark again.

Why would we suddenly be in the low 20's with a better o-line and running back? At the very least we'll be bad at what we were bad at last year while being great at what we were good at. I don't get fans who think this team is a 6-win team in 2018.

Techsass

Reaction score
The Jags are one of the better teams in the league, burn i think we will be a matchup problem for them. I think we win that game.
If we do a better job stopping Fournette than they do at stopping Zeke, we should win.

Big D

Reaction score
The schedule coming out of preseason will look different than it does in July.

Anyone else recall from 2016, after the Cowboys won their first game following the opening loss vs NYG, that every game thereafter was being cited as the “real test” for Dak?

Of course, after the Cowboys’ winning streak mounted, and as they beat each one of the “real test” teams, the wins were then being dismissed by many with, “Yeah, but _______really isn’t that good of a team.”
And it continues to this day. Dak needs to prove himself in the third year in order to be considered a franchise quarterback? Can he produce without a will number one wide receiver and a number one tight end? What happens if half of his offensive line goes down? Etc.

The schedule does seem to be tough but really, every game is tough. With parity it's all about execution and attention to detail in the end. Can we get over that hump? We shall see.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And the smell is "Fear" ......poor Dak and poor US as we're in for one long reality hurting season.....once they stop Zeke and they will as no Offline can overcome the stacking of the box we will be like bumbling idiots on offense as seen last season on numerous occasions.....

P.S. Only Jerry and some here believe a Good to Great OFF-Line (Injury free in today's NFL lol) and Zeke are enough to win a Superbowl....:facepalm:

P.S. Ask the gent's in the photo below how important Doomsday has been for us ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ok that’s 3 positions. It also doesn’t take into account the 3rd WR. Beasley is a quaility slot WR, albeit in a different era of football than 2003.

Quincy Carter doesn’t start on this team, and Troy Hambrick doesn’t start on this team. Any backups that Hambrick had, probably don’t even make the roster behind guys like Tavon Austin and Rod Smith.

Quincy couldn’t even throw a spiral consistently for crying out loud.

Funny I’m getting referred to as a scolded fan, by the guy who has been pissing and moaning ever since the Eagles drafted a certain QB rather than the cowboys.

But I’m the scolded one.

The truth is debating about it is pointless because we are arguing about a team from 15 years ago, and it’s clear we are on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the current QB.

Lastly, this thread is about what the teams overall record will be. The offensive skill players are only one part in determining what the record will be. A lot will also be determined by the defense and the offensive line.

Even the best offensive skill players in the league, can’t perform at a high level if they don’t have people blocking for them..... but the last time I brought up the OL and the impact they will have with the offensive production in general, you complained about it......
He was referring to the skilled positions which last time I checked included QB, Wr, TE and RB. He said Elliott is better than anything we had then. It’s the WR and TE positions he’s mostly calling out which you basically agreed on and not quite clear how you felt about TE but I’d have to agree taking Rookie Witten. So then it comes down to how much more you like Dak over Carter. Lol

But his points are valid. Besides Elliott we have probably the worst skilled positions ( at least unproven at this point) since Campo era. I’m not sure we can say Elliott makes up for the Wr’s and TE loss of talent just yet? And we’ll see which Dak we get this year.

I understand Risen Star might come off negative but he’s calling it like he sees it and I think it’s a fair argument going into the season. I hadn’t really thought of it in his perspective comparison but after reading thru I think it’s reasonable concern.

That doesn’t mean our OL and running game couldn’t help overcome as you suggested or even our defense help overcome. Regardless neither of those dismiss his argument and concern about our skilled positions.

Last edited: