Cowboys schedule is brutal

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks really tough to me. @ Car & @Sea with NY, Det and Jags at home .I could see a 2-4 start thinking 3-3 would be good.

And gets even tougher after Wash vs Tenn, at Phil and @ Atl all playoff teams. With NO and Phil following Wash again. That could easily be 4 or 5 more losses with 5 games in 7 weeks against playoff teams.

Fortunately ending with Indy, Tampa and NY looks more promising if we’re not already out of it.
Trying to predict next seasons games is just a waste of time. We already know you can't do that. Strength of schedule is the most meaningless stat in football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How do you know this without any of them playing together at any time? Time will prove many of the prognosticators wrong.
But yet your confident without seeing them play together?

Why is your crystal ball more believable than the other?

Normally I don’t believe until I’ve seen.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
What if we don’t “ make the expected leap on Defense” which I’d like to hear more detail on and our offense is still “ hampered by an unproductive passing game”. How would that change your outlook and prediction of 10 wins?
Well if the improvements we have tried to make don't work then clearly we can't expect to advance from a 9-7 record can we? I don't believe the schedule looks any harder than last seasons did at this point.

All just an opinion obviously and opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Trying to predict next seasons games is just a waste of time. We already know you can't do that. Strength of schedule is the most meaningless stat in football.
Totally agree and why I didn’t predict individual games.

The bigger issue was pointing out loseble games we probably won’t be favored to win which should make it a brutal schedule but it’s totally a subjective argument for preseason discussion.

How would you summarize the schedule. Or do you not have any thoughts or concerns??

pitt33

Reaction score
They win about 6 games this year. It is what it is. Shout out to the front office for letting the skill positions atrophy to this point with their stellar foresight and vision.
Not sure about 6 wins but...

they are certainly putting all their eggs in one basket. And that basket being Zeke Elliot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Everyone should want our schedule to be challenging without being impossible to navigate through. I think that's what we have this coming season. IMO, those that think out schedule is "brutal", just don't have much faith in the Cowboys to weather the storm. These people need to just chill and be prepared to be amazed at out improvements.
Go Cowboys!! :flagwave:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I’m not in favor of predicting games this far out either. I tried to broadstroke that detail.

My bigger point was how tough the schedule is facing 5 playoff teams and Philly twice.There’s at least 7 or 8 games we won’t be favored to win.

And that’s assuming NY and Wash are still down and we won’t be Dogs up there. And Indy and Tampa will still suk which we could be dogs there as well as at Car, Sea and at home against Jax, Atl, NO and Phil.

We usually play well against average to less than average teams and struggle against playoff and above average teams especially Elite QB’s and defenses.

I hear you. I have zero idea what to expect year-to-year with this team. Garrett will never be a coach to steal a couple wins every season, in fact he is the opposite. His record against playoff teams is ugly. This is a good roster and with Zeke back this team has upside. They can also implode. I think week 1 will tell you a lot about this team's chances. That is a winnable road game against a good but not great team. If Dallas is going to be a good team they win that game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well if the improvements we have tried to make don't work then clearly we can't expect to advance from a 9-7 record can we? I don't believe the schedule looks any harder than last seasons did at this point.

All just an opinion obviously and opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.
Id agree with your first assessment .

As far as the schedule we are playing several more playoff teams than a year ago since we had a last place schedule which makes it tougher on the face.

We won’t know for certain until it unfolds. I thought it was a reasonable concern and worthy of discussion. Sorry if you don’t feel the same.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
as u can see from last year if something happens to zeke its over but I think this team win somewhere between 7 and 9 games but for this to happen the qb and the passing game have to be better than the last half of 2017

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Looks really tough to me. @ Car & @Sea with NY, Det and Jags at home .I could see a 2-4 start thinking 3-3 would be good.

And gets even tougher after Wash vs Tenn, at Phil and @ Atl all playoff teams. With NO and Phil following Wash again. That could easily be 4 or 5 more losses with 5 games in 7 weeks against playoff teams.

Fortunately ending with Indy, Tampa and NY looks more promising if we’re not already out of it.
schedule schmedule
never look that far ahead, these things change week to week. A team can be hot and foreboding but by the time they come up in the schedule they can be slumping or injury plagued. Thats so even after the season starts and especially so 2 months before games begin. Go watch some soccer :)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear you. I have zero idea what to expect year-to-year with this team. Garrett will never be a coach to steal a couple wins every season, in fact he is the opposite. His record against playoff teams is ugly. This is a good roster and with Zeke back this team has upside. They can also implode. I think week 1 will tell you a lot about this team's chances. That is a winnable road game against a good but not great team. If Dallas is going to be a good team they win that game.
Thanks. I’m glad someone understands my concerns.

I definitely think our opener at Carolina is a winnable game but we won’t be favored to win.

Assuming Cam is healthy he presents some concerns for our defense and Panthers defense is usually tough which should provide us some early views how Dak will respond to 8 in the box with this recieving Corp.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
schedule schmedule
never look that far ahead, these things change week to week. A team can be hot and foreboding but by the time they come up in the schedule they can be slumping or injury plagued. Thats so even after the season starts and especially so 2 months before games begin. Go watch some soccer :)
I appreciate your response and if it’s not a subject that interest you. Enjoy your soccer game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Everyone should want our schedule to be challenging without being impossible to navigate through. I think that's what we have this coming season. IMO, those that think out schedule is "brutal", just don't have much faith in the Cowboys to weather the storm. These people need to just chill and be prepared to be amazed at out improvements.
Go Cowboys!! :flagwave:
I don’t have a lot of faith in our organization and I’m soooooooo ready to be Amazed!!!!!

Go Cowboys!!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have the talent to beat every team.

Do we have the coaching?
Don't know.
Will we be prepared to play every game?
Never have.
With the upper staff's job's on the line, I expect to be surprised.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have the talent to beat every team.

Do we have the coaching?
Don't know.
Will we be prepared to play every game?
Never have.
With the upper staff's job's on the line, I expect to be surprised.
So, we have a 16-0 talent and a 2-14 coaching staff?

How do you think that’s going to shake out?

Do we have enough Elite talent to overcome our coaching staff?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score

Playoff teams LAST year...............

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Can't talk Superbowl without some of these guys on your Defense...Mean and Nasty...and feared ...we need to get back our Doomsday baby!!!

Will be a sincere pleasure to do so..........:hammer: And i Don't HATE Dak omg just think he's a lousy QB.....im sure he's a great guy and all....dang...

If any other QB would win 11 straight as a rookie...... The only Cowboys QB to ever do so..... Have the longest start to a career without throwing a pick, go 13-2 as a rookie, only lost to 1 team, went to GB and out dueled Rodgers, was in the MVP conversation....as a rookie..... Was on pace with the MVPs his second season until distractions, suspensions and injuries got the best of the team and numerous other achievements would you not like them or think they are a lousy QB as well?

Nope you dislike Dak and it has nothing to do with his ability as a QB

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Playoff teams LAST year...............
Right!

That's all we have to base our projections on at this point unless you have a crystal ball and or the season begins to unfold.

Last year’s records is what the NFL uses to make their schedules. There’s nothing else at this point to determine who you play.

Pending our divisional foes and some of the teams which could be better that should be easier wins this schedule could be even tougher.

We shall see. I thought it was a reasonable discussion and concern for preseason thread?