Cowboys should have traded Ezekiel Elliott last year

plasticman

Reaction score
In the NFL the only way to build enduring success is you have to be cold blooded when It comes to contracts and the salary cap. You also have to understand the psychology of professional players. No matter how hard they think they are practicing and playing, they can do it with far more intensity when they are pushed, either by competition or the expiration of a current contract.

Players with fat contracts and limited competition are way too satisfied. They perform far better under uncertain conditions. Also, new contracts must match the perceived future contributions and never a reward for oast performances.

Controversial, I know, but the Cowboys never should have given Emmitt a third contract, and especially not 8 years after six previous seasons.

No disrespect but before signing his new contract in 1996, Emmitt had 5 seasons of over 1400 yards rushing and 250 yards receiving. After signing his huge contract, he never did either again. Another thing he didnt do? Be part of a Super Bowl winning team.

M_Barber24

Reaction score
Hello guys it’s my first message on the board, so I write a quick presentation, I’m 27 and i support the team all the way from Paris, France ! ;)

About this thread...i can’t believe some messages that i saw about Zeke, I mean everybody is entitled to his own opinion but i find it crazy to see that some peoples here wanted to see Zeke gone and criticize him without any solid reason imo.

He’s about to be 25 in July, only 25...it’s the perfect age for a RB and last year he had a pretty good season to me (almost 1400 rushing yards, and 420 yards at the reception) we have one of the best if not the best RB of the nfl and peoples complaint about still having him and the fact that he takes a lot of cap space... :huh:we have a playmaker on the offense guy, we should be glad to have a talent like him on the roster, but once again it’s my just my opinion.
I think that Zeke justified his contract last year and will keep playing at this high level.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Cowboys are crying for cap space you signed Elliott last year which they shouldn't have done made him the richest running back They should have traded him away for a first-round and a multiple other picks Running backs don't last that long he's about 25 26 and that's about right when running backs start showing their age Another blunder by Jed Clampett and Jethro running this organization
They probably shouldnt of paid Zeke but he had almost 1800 combined yards last season and has been top 5 at his position for 4 years straight now. RBs are so underpaid that complaining about the money they paid him is like peeing in swimming pool. It aint enough to hurt anyone.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Hello guys it’s my first message on the board, so I write a quick presentation, I’m 27 and i support the team all the way from Paris, France ! ;)

About this thread...i can’t believe some messages that i saw about Zeke, I mean everybody is entitled to his own opinion but i find it crazy to see that some peoples here wanted to see Zeke gone and criticize him without any solid reason imo.

He’s about to be 25 in July, only 25...it’s the perfect age for a RB and last year he had a pretty good season to me (almost 1400 rushing yards, and 420 yards at the reception) we have one of the best if not the best RB of the nfl and peoples complaint about still having him and the fact that he takes a lot of cap space... :huh:we have a playmaker on the offense guy, we should be glad to have a talent like him on the roster, but once again it’s my just my opinion.
I think that Zeke justified his contract last year and will keep playing at this high level.

its called #ZekeHate

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Cowboys are crying for cap space you signed Elliott last year which they shouldn't have done made him the richest running back They should have traded him away for a first-round and a multiple other picks Running backs don't last that long he's about 25 26 and that's about right when running backs start showing their age Another blunder by Jed Clampett and Jethro running this organization

They wouldn't be able to trade him for a first I think, maybe a second......but it would have been the right move either way.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
BUT...you ALREADY SAID...and I QUOTE "but I don't like him".

I am not making that up that is what you said! Pretty shallow if you ask me.

You don't have to LIKE him. He does not have to be your personal hero.

Did you "like" the man that Too Tall Jones was?
I don’t like him. It’s not the running back we all thought he was . I didn’t want to draft him in the first place. I just taken Ramsey. He won’t be here that much longer though

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
In this case, it's true.

1. paying a RB big money
2. letting a RB with two years left on his deal hold out and caving like the ****** negotiators they are
Agree. Being how his performance has declined since that big payday, it will always remain a mystery if his performance would have remained top notch had the Cowboys kept him on his rookie contract. And, would he have taken himself out after only having 13 carries in that horrid Philly game. o_O

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I think they could have done well without him with Tony Pollard and if they'd have kept Darius Jackson I'm sure by the time Pollard would have took off Elliott would have decided he better come out of Cabo and honor his contract
It still amazes me how some on here continue to perpetuate the legend of Darius Jackson. He’s never done anything. He’s an extreme example of a jag.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, you just claimed Mahomes was their leading rusher. He was not. Help me puzzle that out.

No, I didn’t claim Mahomes was the leading rusher. I compared the importance the Chiefs place on the QB position to the importance they place on RB. To underscore the fact that championships are won in this league by passing the ball effectively.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. Being how his performance has declined since that big payday, it will always remain a mystery if his performance would have remained top notch had the Cowboys kept him on his rookie contract. And, would he have taken himself out after only having 13 carries in that horrid Philly game. o_O

I would think it was more due to the holdout than the check. Can't we cut him some slack...and see if a new offense revitalizes...EVERYONE?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yeah, I liked him and thought he was more, but I was proven wrong in that one. Touting his ability at this point is just weird.
I liked Jackson too. I thought he was a good runner that was never given much of a chance. The coaches must of seen something they didnt like.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trait
[ treyt; British also trey ]
SEE SYNONYMS FOR trait ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
a distinguishing characteristic or quality, especially of one's personal nature:bad traits of character.
a pen or pencil stroke.
a stroke, touch, or strain, as of some quality:

If you have a LOT of yards and carries......it shows a character. A personal nature. If you have no yards and no carries...that is also a distinguishing characteristic.

If a pen stroke can be a trait...so can runs and yards.

A "trait" by definition is an observable thing. a "of some quality". runs and yards totals show a specific quality. There may be other things that build the trait.....

I stand by by comment.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too bad RB yards and fancy stats don’t win championships, what a waste of money. Glad Zeke won bragging rights for his fans, good for Zeke. Unfortunately that doesn’t equate to W’s for the Cowboys, money and draft spot poorly used.
Good to know you can pin that on one guy.

aria

Reaction score
Good to know you can pin that on one guy.
It’s not just one guy, it’s league wide. 2 of the top 10 leading running backs made the playoffs this year. RB’s aren’t worth the money, especially the highest paid ever, and they certainly aren’t worth a top 10 draft pick especially when a team already has one of the best run blocking O lines in the league. Jerry got fleeced and as a result so did the fans.

But hey, as I said, when you’re talking to your non Cowboys friends or co workers and they’re talking about playoffs you can tout how many times Zeke has led the league in yards and how much that did for this team.