CFZ Cowboys Should Stand Pat, Mortgage Youth, Not Future on Free Agent

Pass2Run

Reaction score
This whole talk about Beckham is silly. The only way I would sign Beckham is if he wants to play on a 1-year deal. This team can be competitive for several years now. In other words, with the way our roster is sitting, if we were just to focus on maintaining our guys for the next 5 years, we may have a squad that could pull of 2 or 3 championships in that kind of time span.

I know we can free up some cap space by restructuring Dak, and releasing guys like Tyron Smith and Zeke later on, but I still can't figure out why you'd want to saddle your team with that much depth when you've yet to sign a few key guys.

We could end up like the Rams.

I would like to see Jerry go out with multiple championships in 2022.

On the other hand, maybe we could get this done, say, if Dak were to agree to restructure contingent on signing someone like Beckham.

Dak's brother, Tad, who really is a loud mouth jackass, was talking about how all other teams have made moves to get better (the Cowboys traded for Hankins, by the way) and basically insinuated the Cowboys were sitting on their hands.

The Cowboys have something with this unit, and they're young. So to me, I'd rather spend my money on them rather than giving it to someone who honestly may not even help this team in 2023, given he tore his ACL last year about 6 weeks after Gallup.

We know Gallup worked hard, and he still hasn't returned to 100% of the player he once was. He's getting there, but wouldn't we be better off with a cheaper option? Or investing in depth at another position?

I know Beckham could improve the team, but there's only one ball to go around. And only so much money to spend now and in the future. And so many holes to fill. I think we should wait and see how efficient/explosive we can be in the next few games to make that call.

I also think we need Dak to put his money where Tad's mouth is, and restructure enough to make it worth signing someone like Beckham.

If there ever was a time to firm Dak up on the idea of restructuring like Tom Brady did with his winning teams, it's right now.

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score
This whole talk about Beckham is silly. The only way I would sign Beckham is if he wants to play on a 1-year deal. This team can be competitive for several years now. In other words, with the way our roster is sitting, if we were just to focus on maintaining our guys for the next 5 years, we may have a squad that could pull of 2 or 3 championships in that kind of time span.

I know we can free up some cap space by restructuring Dak, and releasing guys like Tyron Smith and Zeke later on, but I still can't figure out why you'd want to saddle your team with that much depth when you've yet to sign a few key guys.

On the other hand, maybe we could get this done, say, if Dak were to agree to restructure contingent on signing someone like Beckham.

Dak's brother, Tad, who really is a loud mouth jackass, was talking about how all other teams have made moves to get better (the Cowboys traded for Hankins, by the way) and basically insinuated the Cowboys were sitting on their hands.

The Cowboys have something with this unit, and they're young. So to me, I'd rather spend my money on them rather than giving it to someone who honestly may not even help this team, given he tore his ACL last year about 6 weeks after Gallup.

We know Gallup worked hard, and he still hasn't returned to 100% of the player he once was. He's getting there, but wouldn't we be better off with a cheaper option?

I know Beckham could improve the team, but there's only one ball to go around. And only so much money to spend now and in the future.

i agree on not mortgaging the future but he signed last year with the rams for 4.25MM in Nov. if he did something similiar here it wouldn't have a material impact on the future and I don't think anyone is thinking long term with him given the injury history.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The thing about getting another receiver is about forcing defenses into winnable 1 on 1 matchups. KM needs to do a better job getting these 1 on 1's with CD or gallup and then those guys have got to beat their defender. Adding a talented WR who can take over a game by himself just helps free up the other 2 guys. As we play better teams, better defensive fronts can hamper the run, better DB's can cover these WR's they might could use some help. Dak tends to not force things, he looks for the 1 on 1 matchups. Would you prefer brown or Fehoko or would you prefer OBJ. For me if you want to win a SB you go all in. Should have kept Cooper but didn't and now we lack talent at wr. Maybe wash can come in and get up to speed a bit and make a few plays I dunno.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
i agree on not mortgaging the future but he signed last year with the rams for 4.25MM in Nov. if he did something similiar here it wouldn't have a material impact on the future and I don't think anyone is thinking long term with him given the injury history.

Right. But he's talking about his next contract being a long-term, high-dollar contract.

On that the Cowboys should make a hard pass. Because they're in a good spot right now with youth on their roster.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The Cowboys have something with this unit, and they're young. So to me, I'd rather spend my money on them rather than giving it to someone who honestly may not even help this team in 2023, given he tore his ACL last year about 6 weeks after Gallup.

We know Gallup worked hard, and he still hasn't returned to 100% of the player he once was. He's getting there, but wouldn't we be better off with a cheaper option? Or investing in depth at another position?

I know Beckham could improve the team, but there's only one ball to go around. And only so much money to spend now and in the future. And so many holes to fill. I think we should wait and see how efficient/explosive we can be in the next few games to make that call.

I also think we need Dak to put his money where Tad's mouth is, and restructure enough to make it worth signing someone like Beckham.

If there ever was a time to firm Dak up on the idea of restructuring like Tom Brady did with his winning teams, it's right now.
I keep asking this question. What if free agency come after the draft I want to how many prima donnas would actually get signed. It’s a reason why it’s before the draft

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The thing about getting another receiver is about forcing defenses into winnable 1 on 1 matchups. KM needs to do a better job getting these 1 on 1's with CD or gallup and then those guys have got to beat their defender. Adding a talented WR who can take over a game by himself just helps free up the other 2 guys. As we play better teams, better defensive fronts can hamper the run, better DB's can cover these WR's they might could use some help. Dak tends to not force things, he looks for the 1 on 1 matchups. Would you prefer brown or Fehoko or would you prefer OBJ. For me if you want to win a SB you go all in. Should have kept Cooper but didn't and now we lack talent at wr. Maybe wash can come in and get up to speed a bit and make a few plays I dunno.

I hear your point. It's not without reason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This whole talk about Beckham is silly. The only way I would sign Beckham is if he wants to play on a 1-year deal.
It might take a multi year deal to get him to sign. Just make it a Cowboy friendly deal. They have the cap space. Just be mindful of the future and don't break the bank when it isn't necessary.

If the Cowboys think they need to add a WR I would prefer them to sign OBJ and save the early draft pick next April for another position.

Loso86

Reaction score

Umm, it's not mortgaging the future taking a flyer on a guy that can help lift this Offense to another level when healthy. It's a rarity ro have a D like this so we need to take advantage of NOW. Before us fans complain that this team does nothing to make us better. The youth at wr are not ready to help take us to another level. ONE I jury to 88 or 13 again and we are doomed on O again

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My thoughts exactly. We're only going to have all these young players for a short time. We need to capitalize on that time by adding more talent.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I agree re: Beckham, but 2 or 3 championships in the next 5 years? Let's get one before talking mini-dynasty.

conner01

Reaction score
I’d love to see Lamb used much more on crossing routes. It kills man coverage and if played smartly it eats up zone too
Get the ball in his hands on the move
And do the same with pollard
Get him the ball out in space
The 50-50 sharing of touches is fine but he needs the ball more as a reciever

slick325

Reaction score
The NFC is weakened. The Eagles are head and shoulders above the rest right now. The 9ers will be super dangerous by the end of the season. Minnesota is 7-1 but has plenty of holes.

Dallas is not far behind the Eagles and 9ers. They will face the Vikings in two weeks. I am on board with adding talent to the roster. I would pursue OBJ and Suh for the rest of the season run.

The youth that Dallas has can learn from champions and the vets are merely rentals.

phildadon86

Reaction score

I think the Cowboys have something like 23 Free agents next year.

This team will look A LOT different next year regardless of Beckham joining. The time to push the chips in is now. Defenses like the one the Cowboys currently have dont come around often.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I see nothing in the argument against OBJ that overcomes the idea of adding a skill set he brings to the team as a deep threat. If the injury can't pass muster, then problem solved. But if this guy can bring a deep attack and stretch the defense, then what is the down side? Especially if it keeps him from an NFC opponent?

Jeudy and Cooks would cost draft capital. This guy is a free agent and can be had for a salary only.

But if for no other reason. driving up the cost for another team would certainly cause me to kick the tires in a serious way.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Right. But he's talking about his next contract being a long-term, high-dollar contract.

On that the Cowboys should make a hard pass. Because they're in a good spot right now with youth on their roster.
That ain’t happening. His days of of High Dollar contracts are gone. He’s now just a hired mercenary. And that’s all good. He has tons of money, a Super Bowl ring …he can now pick and choose where he wants to go. Not a bad deal