Cowboys showing interest in Eric Berry

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like Lee, protect the team against injury, make game incentives and play time incentives. The contract doesn't have to be that cheap if it's protected against not playing.

Yeah but then there are the roster and draft ramifications. Does the team then forget a safety in the draft because they have now signed Berry? If so, do we go back to having Jeff Heath out there when Berry inevitably misses more time?

Are we ultimately any better off than we were before?

Cannibal_Cowboy

Reaction score
2019-03-13_2244.png

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ic-berry-haglunds-heel-chiefs-0301-story.html
Dated 3/1/19

...So the natural question is why not remove the bone spur in the offseason?

First, not all bone spurs are symptomatic. In the case of a Haglund’s deformity, the presence of a spur itself does not always equal surgery. Obviously, the medical staff feels it can be managed without surgery.

Secondly, the presence of this type of bone spur rarely leads to Achilles tendon rupture.

Finally, surgery to remove the spur is not always simple. Often, removing the spur means detaching all or part of the Achilles insertion (essentially creating a tear) and then repairing it. The recovery from that can be tricky.

Understandably, fans want a definitive solution to having missed almost all of last season with the heel issue. And given that Berry missed the previous season with a heel tendon rupture, the fears are understandable.

Exit physicals are a very important part of a medical staff's job. That is when offseason plans are made to get players fully healthy for next season. Certainly, surgery was contemplated, a second opinion was obtained, and the thought is that with conservative care the symptoms can go away.

A four-month rest timeline, as Berry had from the preseason into late in the regular season, is interminable in the NFL world. But that is normal for dissipation of symptoms away in the real world.

Knowing what I know about Achilles tendonitis and associated Haglund's deformity, the decision not to have surgery is understandable. Fans should trust the Chiefs medical staff and Berry didn't opt to take this path without full consideration of all options.....

Wait a minute. Isn't this the same quack Dr. that said Jaylon would never recover?
Anything this idiot says should be taken with a dump truck load of salt.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh yeah it is. Berry will make Jerry Jones a ton of money even if he never plays a down
I disagree completely. Cowboy fans don’t have any connection to Berry to start with, and as damaged goods who has only played 3 games over the last 2 years there would be no big expectations with him. Fans would know it’s taking a shot on reviving a dead career, and the only way he would pay off is if he not only was able to play, but also perform at a high level, and that would have to be proven.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Great of course we get him. He gets injured in the first couple of games and we have nothing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait a minute. Isn't this the same quack Dr. that said Jaylon would never recover?
Anything this idiot says should be taken with a dump truck load of salt.

Yeah, but it all depends on whether or not he's saying what you want to hear. If he is, he's a "noted medical professional", forget the fact that he was fired from his job as a team doctor.

Just do a search on the guy's history and you'll see what I'm talking about.

RayA

Reaction score
And get Justin Houston too while you’re at it! Or the kid in Cleveland!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah but then there are the roster and draft ramifications. Does the team then forget a safety in the draft because they have now signed Berry? If so, do we go back to having Jeff Heath out there when Berry inevitably misses more time?

Are we ultimately any better off than we were before?

There are risks with signing Berry too. The downside of that is going with what we got. But maybe not Heath. Maybe Frazier makes a jump to starting SS. Thump thump.

Berry is a *chance* at a pro bowl level S. Those don't grow on trees, and they usually aren't cheap enough for Jerry wherever they grow. But maybe Berry is cheap enough. And maybe he delivers.

We could probably take that 2nd round pick and get us a starting SS. Could happen. But that seems more likely next year, when Frazier and Heath leave. A SS draft pick this year would be downroster, aiming to start next year.

EGTuna

Reaction score
forget the fact that he was fired from his job as a team doctor.

Just do a search on the guy's history and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also had multiple malpractice suits against him, banned from some hospitals, and had a couple of DUIs. He's a charlatan's charlatan. I'd give more weight to The Hollywood Psychic. Eric Berry may never be healthy enough to play again, but anything "Dr." David Chao says should be taken not with a grain, but a 3-ton brick of salt.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are risks with signing Berry too. The downside of that is going with what we got. But maybe not Heath. Maybe Frazier makes a jump to starting SS. Thump thump.

I thought they might have something in Frazier, but if he wasn't an improvement over Heath last year? I'm not optimistic.

Berry is a *chance* at a pro bowl level S. Those don't grow on trees, and they usually aren't cheap enough for Jerry wherever they grow. But maybe Berry is cheap enough. And maybe he delivers.

When was that last "Pro Bowl"? Three games over two years is a tough pill to swallow.

We could probably take that 2nd round pick and get us a starting SS. Could happen. But that seems more likely next year, when Frazier and Heath leave. A SS this year would be downroster, aiming to start next year.

I'd still look in free agency. For less name-recognition, but much more reliability.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also had multiple malpractice suits against him, banned from some hospitals, and had a couple of DUIs. He's a charlatan's charlatan. I'd give more weight to The Hollywood Psychic. Eric Berry may never be healthy enough to play again, but anything "Dr." David Chao says should be taken not with a grain, but a 3-ton brick of salt.

Or disregarded as fraudulent entirely.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Different types of injury
A broken leg heals and it’s fine
Berry’s injuries seem more lingering
Doesn’t cost anything to have him checked out medically and see if he can still play
But I would bet if he is healthy he would want to get paid too

Except when you break it twice, or its Tony Romo's Collarbone

_sturt_

Reaction score
Sure thing, since you obviously can't grasp it. The timing had to do with MONEY as well as time. Not just one. They dropped him as soon as they could financially handle it and had his replacement (Matthieu) in place. Or did this not occur to you?

Oh, I see now.

You're saying had they dropped Berry any earlier, then that would have cost them money. You know, because dropping a player costs you money, and makes it more difficult to fit other players under the cap.

So, they had to wait until they committed to more money before they could afford to pay Berry less money.

Makes total sense.

eyeroll.gif

Silly me for thinking it might be a choice between keeping Berry and seeing if they could find a player they felt better about on the market before the 3/15 deadline, but waiting until they did.

Yeah, I'm the fabricator. I'm the foolish one. And for that matter, yeah, ***I'm*** the one who, when he learns he was wrong ***isn't man enough*** to back down and say so. (How ironic that you evidently refuse to even acknowledge that you missed something while you were pounding your chest about me missing something... or, did you also miss that?... you're replying to everything else I said except that post, and unlike you apparently, I make a conscious attempt not to presume.)

Honestly, you're welcome to say it could be a bad idea to sign Berry. That's a defensible opinion.

What isn't defensible is pretending that all that matters is what you, a common fan, know about the situation, and that there is no professional opinion that might matter.

You can defend being cautious and reflecting on the history as a basis for that. I'm not sure anyone even disagrees with that... surely not I.

But you cannot defend refusing to acknowledge that there might be other current information that could come to the table that could be compelling.... you're being irrational to pretend to know that what you don't know (and none of us do, it's not just you) is somehow immaterial.

Tying that thought and the previous one together... I back down when I'm wrong. It's happens every now and then. Have you ever?

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
I said earlier kick the tires on him but the more I read, the more I worry he's just damaged goods.

I think I might rather spend the money on a guy like Iloka or Boston or even Phillips from the Chargers, who will likely also be pretty cheap and you have a better likelihood will be healthy all season. Both would be upgrades on Heath.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we do make a prove it deal with Berry in FA, we definitely keep Heath for ST and backup. We also HAVE to get a DT to plug our middle!

silvrNblue

Reaction score
So, we will take a long look at another player who is aged, and can't stay on the field....soon enough the cowboys will be known as the wheelchair league...good grief